Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gio

From a Volleytalk thread ...

Gio Civita tore ACL per [Coach] Sheffield pre-game interview.

There is no post to that effect on the Wisconsin VB site, but I don't doubt it. She is in the boxscore for the Rutgers match on 25 September, but not since.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    From a Volleytalk thread ...

Gio Civita tore ACL per [Coach] Sheffield pre-game interview.

There is no post to that effect on the Wisconsin VB site, but I don't doubt it. She is in the boxscore for the Rutgers match on 25 September, but not since.
    Sound like her injury was in practice on September 30th based on brief mention about it in this article on their October 1st win over Minnesota:

https://www.kenoshanews.com/sports/c...a900187d6.html

The same could be said of libero Lauren Barnes, who had a season-high 23 digs as the Badgers held a decisive 59-42 advantage over the Gophers in that statistic. And they did so without Giorgia Civita, who missed the match after suffering a leg injury late in practice on Thursday.
    I saw another article that said Gio was out indefinitely with a knee injury.

If this is an ACL tear I think that would be the 4th such injury Gio has sustained with the 3 previous injuries to the same (right) knee. Not sure if this is the same knee or not.

I think the 1st was the year before she came to Wichita State, the 2nd came 11 matches in to her freshman season in 2016 when she received a medical redshirt, the 3rd came in 2019 when she was out for the season and now this injury.

Comment

Tough, tough thing to happen again. I just hope this repeated injury doesn't severely hamper normalcy throughout her life.

Comment

The coach's comment from the writeup of the Wisconsin-Purdue match on October 31-

It was tough with Giorgia (Civita) going down.

She has not appeared in a boxscore since and only appeared in one set with one dig in the match cited above.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          The coach's comment from the writeup of the Wisconsin-Purdue match on October 31-

It was tough with Giorgia (Civita) going down.

She has not appeared in a boxscore since and only appeared in one set with one dig in the match cited above.
          https://madison.com/sidelined-again/...%20this%20week.

So sounds like her previous injury was a torn ACL (partial?) in her right knee but she came back to play in three matches before incurring an apparent ankle injury in the Purdue match you mentioned and is know on crutches and in a boot. It doesn't say whether her ankle injury was to her left or right ankle.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

https://madison.com/sidelined-again/...%20this%20week.

So sounds like her previous injury was a torn ACL (partial?) in her right knee but she came back to play in three matches before incurring an apparent ankle injury in the Purdue match you mentioned and is know on crutches and in a boot. It doesn't say whether her ankle injury was to her left or right ankle.
            Read the other article also: https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...rce=in-article

It is absolutely her life. I pray she is not over doing it. Wow!

Comment

Sounds like Giorgia has a great perspective on life. Reminds be of what Winsome Sears said the other day. It's life. Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Whether or not she will be able to comeback from the ankle injury in time to play again this year might be iffy. Kailin Newsome was out 3 weeks with her ankle injury earlier this year and was still not 100% when she returned. Plus how will the knee respond to 2 to 3 weeks of inactivity if it comes down to that.

Comment

Gio played in all five sets against Minnesota today (Nov 21).

Comment

Working...
                X