Around the AAC - 2021 Volleyball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the AAC - 2021 Volleyball

Houston, Memphis and Tulane joined Wichita State at 3-0 on the opening weekend of the volleyball season.

SMU went 2-1, Cincy, South Florida, Temple and UCF went 1-2. ECU and Tulsa did not play.

Overal The AAC went 18-9.

Houston played at Oklahoma's tournament beating Libscomb 3-2,Oregon State 3-1 and OU 3-2 in an impressive start to their season.

Memphis played in Atlanta and swept California Baptist, Chattanooga and host Georgia State.

Tulane hosted a pre-Hurrican Ida confab beating Norrthwestern State 3-2, Alabama A&M 3-0 and California 3-1. Hopefully, all will have time to get safe and secure before Ida make landfall this Sunday afternnoon.

SMU hosted a home tournament sweeping Pacific and Stephen F. Austin and losing to North Carolian 1-3.

UCF, the consensus pick to win the AAC, hosted a strong field in Orlando sweeping St. Johns and dropping matches to Goergia Tech 1-3 and Penn State 0-3. The were competitive against Penn State losing 25-27, 21-25 and 19-25.

Cincy played at Dayton dropping matches to host Dayton 2-3 and defending national champion Kentucky 0-3 while picking up a 3-1 win over Texas State.

USF played in a tournament in Ft. Myers hosted by Florid Gulf Coast. The were swept by Rutgers and host FGCU and edged UMBC 3-2.

Temple hosted a tournament in Philly. The opened with a 3-2 win over Rider before dropping matches to Delaware 3-1 and Stanford 3-0..

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 29, 2021, 06:18 PM.

Tough to gauge how impressive Houston's start was to me at least. Both OSU and OU were picked to finish last in their conferences, albeit really good volleyball conferences. Stat-wise OU really dominated Houston. Lipscomb is really though. Not saying it was a bad weekend by any means, but it's not like it was dominating either.

I think Memphis is a team I think is on the rise and well coached. Their weekend was substantially easier than even ours, but they eased through it, including sweeping a Cal Baptist team we'll see next weekend I believe.

Nothing wrong with Cincy's weekend. Lots wrong with USF's though.

UCF with a brutal beginning, competition wise. All that 1-2 weekend tells you is that they aren't a top 15 team at this point.

Other future opponents for WSU....KU is going to lose both matches this weekend to a REALLY good LMU side that beat the Hawks yesterday and #8 Purdue who is about to sweep them today. KU is still pretty darn good though, probably top 30-40 ish.

Comment

And Georgia Tech beat Penn State. A strong field indeed.

Comment

Tulsa did not play any of their three matches at the Husker Invitational because of positive COVID-19 cases on the team. East Carolina had a single match against Liberty that was canceled for the same issue within the Pirate program.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          Tulsa did not play any of their three matches at the Husker Invitational because of positive COVID-19 cases on the team. East Carolina had a single match against Liberty that was canceled for the same issue within the Pirate program.
          Unfortunately, it's looking like this will not be an uncommon occurrence this year.

Comment

As I was saying.........Shockers Withdraw from SDSU Invite

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/9/1...su-invite.aspx

Due to COVID-19-related issues within the program, the Wichita State volleyball team has withdrawn from this weekend's SDSU Invite in Brookings, S.D.

Comment

Yeah I heard someone was quarantining earlier today and figured this would happen.

It's going to be another disjointed season. With all the positives across 15? sports, there's hardly a student athlete in 15 months that's been anything more than a little "fluey".

But, that's life today.

I know this won't be the last time, and I'd wager dollars to donuts (the absolute LAST thing I should be doing) that we'll see more programs shut down this school year than the previous school year across the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Yeah I heard someone was quarantining earlier today and figured this would happen.

It's going to be another disjointed season. With all the positives across 15? sports, there's hardly a student athlete in 15 months that's been anything more than a little "fluey".

But, that's life today.

I know this won't be the last time, and I'd wager dollars to donuts (the absolute LAST thing I should be doing) that we'll see more programs shut down this school year than the previous school year across the nation.
                I don't think I want the other side of that bet right now. Even if I only have to put up some donuts.

Comment

If anyone would like a preview of two of your upcoming opponents, Creighton is hosting SMU right now on Flo Sports. Advising for those who have a Flo account already, as it is expensive to sign up.

https://www.flovolleyball.tv/signup?...2Flive%2F31318

Comment

Originally posted by JayPak View Post
                    If anyone would like a preview of two of your upcoming opponents, Creighton is hosting SMU right now on Flo Sports. Advising for those who have a Flo account already, as it is expensive to sign up.

https://www.flovolleyball.tv/signup?...2Flive%2F31318
                    Clearly we want nothing to do with this BJ team. Was something wrong with Kentucky (injuries, covid etc)? That was an all too easy sweep of the #3 team in the country at the time.

Still, wins over Southern Cal, Missouri, Iowa State (exh but still) UNI and Kentucky, regardless of the sweep vs Nebraska (they seem irritated at this point without a recent Natty) has to put the BJs in the top 10 yes?

Comment

Not a fair fight. 2 solid front line players, Hannah Jacobs and Rachel Woulfe for SMU, good solid players that have given WSU all they want and more, can get nothing against CU.

And CU is lighting up the Mustangs. 13 and 12 the first 2 sets. A more competitive 3rd but CU will sweep. Really good team coming to Wichita next week folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X