X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look Forward to Next Fall

RH: 17 DATA POINTS TO START - LAMBO PRIORITIZES PIN SCORING FOR THE FALL

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/3/2...-fighting.aspx

Wichita State 17 volleyball matches this spring, more than most of its American Athletic Conference rivals. Those 17 matches give coach Chris Lamb plenty of data points to calculate over the next week or so as he meets with his Shockers and plans for the fall.

"Something that reared its ugly head here down the stretch is 'Where's scoring going to come from on the pins?'" Lamb said. "During that seven-game losing streak, when the middles weren't scoring, we were in trouble."

Lamb said statistics show the Shockers are probably a bit better than their record. They entered the final weekend of the regular season ranked fifth in hitting percentage (.209) and second in opponent hitting percentage (.161). Wichita State's blocking and back-row defense improved significantly from the 2019 season. The foundation of a winning team is there, once the Shockers clean up mistakes.

"What Houston's good at it is winning," Lamb said. "When you out-hit teams, you out-dig teams, you out-assist teams and you don't win, like Memphis here, like Tulane there . . . I'm glad of the production, but what about all these crazy little errors that occur? Those are all worth points. When those go away, we will be on the good side of 22-25, not on the bad side."

"Natalie Foster has great arm talent," Lamb said. "And she wants to be good. When she gets stronger, and a little more experience as a blocker, we probably have a four-year starter. Way ahead of schedule."

Freshman middle Morgan Stout sat out the spring with an injury.

"She's the most talented, by position, of any of the freshmen," Lamb said. "I would like to say in a year or two there's nothing on the volleyball court she shouldn't be able to do – she's just that fast, she's just that physical."

Interesting that the title included "Lambo Prioritizes Pin Scoring For The Fall but that there was very little discussion about pin scoring and pin players other than a brief and passing comment about Morgan Weber and Mariah Buss taking on a bigger role in the fall. Not sure what that role will be but not sure they are the answers to any pin scoring issues.

It’s just more gobbledygook from Lambo. Lots of words and side stories to make WSU vball fans think he’s got it all under control. And then if you actually read what he says on paper and add it up, it amounts to nothing.

How did Houston get “ good at winning”? They were terrible in 2017 when the Shockers were undefeated in Conference play. Terrible in 2018. Brought in a NEW coach in 2019 and won 10 games. 2020 Conference Champs.

Now they are “good at winning”!? How? Did their new coach perform magic? Because Lambos team went from 20-0 to forgetting how to win?

Meh.

Comment

At this point next fall roster looks like it will include 17 players, although there still could be additions and/or deletions to that. That's about 25% smaller than the roster size Lambo has trended to have. Whether that was by design or not I couldn't say, but I don't think that is particularly a bad thing to happen.

Of those 17 players 15 were on the roster last year. Of those 15 player 11 saw the court to varying degrees. Of the 4 who did not play last year (Morgan Stout, Lauren Phillips, Kylie Marneris, Lexi Hogan) I would only expect Morgan Stout to be in the mix for significant playing time next fall.

I'm thinking the following 12 players will make up the core of the team:

Outside Hitters - Front Row Only:
      Sophia Rohling 6-3
      Brylee Kelly 6-2

Outside Hitters- Possible 6 Rotation Players:
      Morgan Webber 5-11
      Morgan Stout 6-1 (Morgan is listed on the roster as a middle but based on comments by Lambo it sound like he thinks she should be on the pins and maybe more).
      Kailin Newsome 5-11 (Transfer from Southeastern Louisiana - just kind of guessing here)

Middle Blockers:
      Natalie Foster 6-4
      Lauren McMahon 6-3
      Sophie Childs 6-3 (Sophie is listed as an outside hitter but at 6-3 I wonder if Lambo might not try Sophie in the middle, especially if Morgan Stout moves to the outisde)

Libero/DS:
      Lily Leikweg 5-5 (Would seem that the Libero job is Lily's to lose.)
      Bryn Stansberry 5-3 (Most of her PT time in 2020 was to come in to serve - she only saw action in 6 matches)

The other options are 5-5 Kylie Marneris who did not see any playing time in 2020 and incoming freshman, 5-5 Annalie Heliste out of Cypress, TX. So not real deep or experienced at this spot.

Setters:
      Kayce Litzau 5-10
      Hailey Plugge 6-0

Lambo has made some comments which indicated he might go with a 5-1 offense in 2021 with Kayce Litzau running the offense. Hailey would be the likely #1 backup in that scenario or the 2nd setter if Lambo decides to go with a 6-2 offense. Hard to predict what he might do.

The talent level of this group generally seems to be pretty good although the options at D/S behind Lily Liekweg are unclear. I am hopeful we will see better results next season although that team was generally competitive although inconsistent. Plus the lineup was pretty unstable and ever-changing throughout the season. Perhaps a result of or a cause of the inconsistency. I hope we will see that change.

Comment

The elephant in the room deals with all the ladies that left and whether this remaining, smaller roster alone can even match last year's disappointing season. If there are additions, what is the likelihood they would be "impact players" enough to help? Any comments?

Comment

So far there are only two additions, the transfer from Southeastern Louisiana and the freshman libero/ds. I don't see either of those being impact players but who knows for sure.

Not sure that we lost that much in the way of impact players from the ladies who left. I guess it depends on how you define "impact player".

I think Natalie and Lauren are at least equal to, if not a step up, from Emma and Brooke who graduated.

I think Sophia, and Brylee were and are our two most talented outsides. Bigger and better than Megan and Nicole. Morgan Weber is probably a better all around player than Mariah Buss. Lambo seems to be very high on Morgan Stout who did not play last year due to injury. Kailin Newsome is potentially the equal of Sina. We'll just have to wait and see on Stout and Newsome. Sophie Childs is another unknown quantity.

I think we are a little thin at the Libero/DS position especially of something happens to Lily.

If Lambo decides to go to a 5-1 next year the loss of McKayla is perhaps not that big of a deal assuming Hailey Plugge is an adequate back up in case Kayce gets hurt or is an adequate 2nd setter in a 6-2. Now whether Lambo will actually go to a 5-1 remains to be seen.

If I had to decide which players would stay and which would go I don't think my choices would be much different than what actually happened. But that is just a personal opinion of a less than expert fan.

If there are any more additions, I don't think it is very likely they will be impact players enough to make a big difference unless Lambo can pull a less injury prone version of Giorgia Civita out of his hat. I certainly am not expecting the next Emily Stockman to show up.

Outside of talent my opinion is that Lambo needs to establish a much more stable lineup and hopefully that will lead to more confidence and more consistency. Perhaps not having so many pieces to experiment with will help Lambo do that. But again that remains to be seen.

In terms of eligibility the Shockers will be very young next season although more experienced than the eligibility suggests due to last year not counting against eligibility. But so will everyone else and most teams will have 4th year juniors and 5th year seniors and perhaps some 5th year juniors and 6th year seniors. The Shockers will have one 4th year junior, Bryn Stansberry, who played very sparingly in the Covid shortened season last year plus 2 years at Iowa Western CC.

So the 12 core players I listed above include the following:

7 - 2nd Year Freshmen (Natalie Foster, Lauren McMahon, Sophie Childs, Morgan Weber, Morgan Stout, Kailin Newsome, Hailey Plugge)
          3 - 3rd Year Sophomore (Kayce Litzau, Sophia Rohling, Lily Liekweg)
          1 - 4th Year Sophomore (Brylee Kelley)
          1 - 4th Year Junior 1 (Bryn Stansberry)

So eligibility wise a freshman-sophomore team. Experience wise perhaps closer to a sophomore-junior team. What that portends is hard to say but in most cases the Shocks will probably be the less experienced team on the court next season. That might flip around in the 22-23 season.

I am cautiously optimistic that we will be a somewhat better team next year but again that's less than an expert opinion. Hopefully, make a big jump in 22-23.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 2, 2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks, 1972Shocker .

I did not attend any games last year, but did follow the matches. It's still nothing like being there as you pick so up so much more about the play.

A good portion of my thoughts were based from stats and sets played. Assuming I'm looking at it correctly, the 3 top players in # of sets played will be returning. That's a big plus. However, it appears that 5 of the next 6 have moved on or graduated. Overall, about 48% of the sets played by the top 12 will be gone and almost 70% after the Top 3. Who started and sets played are similar, but I realize that isn't "court time" and who's playing at crunch time. However, like the saying, freshmen become sophomores and so forth. Well, I guess not exactly this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Thanks, [USER="288"]A good portion of my thoughts were based from stats and sets played. Assuming I'm looking at it correctly, the 3 top players in # of sets played will be returning. That's a bit plus.
              It looks to me like the top two players in sets played, Kayce Litzau and Sophia Rohling, are returning. McKayla Wuensch who was 3rd in sets played is not returning. Now if Lambo does go to a 5-1 with Kayce as his principal setters as Lambo has said he is considering (and perhaps even leaning towards) then McKayla moving on may not be all that significant. Perhaps this was even a factor in McKayla deciding to go elsewhere for her final year of eligibility. My guess it probably was.

Overall, about 48% of the sets played by the top 12 will be gone and almost 70% after the Top 3. Who started and sets played are similar, but I realize that isn't "court time" and who's playing at crunch time.
              So I calculate 54% of the sets played by the top 12 are gone and, yes, about 67% after tthe top 2.

That said Natalie Foster was wasn't amont the top 12 in sets played for the season and only played on 7 sets over the first 11 matches of the season. However, she played in all 23 sets over the final 6 matches of the season and was clearly one of our more effectived weapons. In the final two matches against Houston she had by far her best blocking effort of the season with a total of 9 block assists so hopefully that's sign she was starting to geet the blocking game figured out. Emma Wright and Brooke Smith, our two primary middles, were moving on one way or the other aftter this season and it you could see that Natalie and Lauren McMahon were in line to take over those spots.

Sina may have felt like she had been jerked around a bit. Volunteered to play libero to help the team. Seemed to be doing okay with that but then over at least those last 6 matches Lambo went with Lily Liekweg at the libero and switched Sina to more of a 6 rotation payer. In the 2 matches against Tulane Sina had 70 attacks but hit only 17-6-70 = .157. In the final 4 matches against Kansas and Houston Sina was limited to mostly back row duty. She played in 6 of the 7 matches against Kansas but she only played in 3 of 7 sets against Houston. In those final 9 sets she only had 2 kills on 8 attempts.

Megan Taflinger showed signs of what she is capable of but was just not consistent enough. In her 4 best matches of the season she was 58-14-144 = .306 in 18 sets played. In the other 33 sets over 11 matches she was 53-35-201 = .090 plus Megan did not play at all in the final two matches against Houston. Not sure she even was at thosel last two matches. So not very consistent performances from Megan. Plus I think there was hope Megan could be an effective back row player but her skills there just never seemed to develop.

Nicole Anderson had a pretty good start to the season but seemed to be a little bit of a head casd at times. NIcole played in 22 sets in the first 7 matches of the year hitting 71-21-195 = .256. She played in 7 of the final 10 matches of the season and a total of 24 sets. In those matches she hit 43-26-205 = .083.

Mariah Buss on the other hand struggled in the first half or so of the season and played better down the stretch. In her first 23 sets over 9 matches Mariah was 25-21-109 = .037. In her final 15 sets over 5 matches at the end of the season she was 30-13-86 = .198. That inlcuded 3 very good matches and 2 very poor matches is an on-off-on-off-on finish to her season.

Just looking at how their seasons went I guess it is not a big surprise that Sina, Megan and Nicole decided to move on. Not necessarily putting the blame for that on these players. Perhaps something Lambo and his coaches did that contributed to this. Or perhaps they could see (or were told) which way the wind was blowing regarding their future roles on the team and based on that decide to move on. Sina is transferring to Toledo. Did not find anything on transfers for Megan and Nicole but they can help a lot of teams.

Mariah was the 2018-19 Nebraska Gatorade Player of the Year and so she is used to being the successful and a top dog on her team. She did show improvement down the stretch although up and down but that would not be unusual for a first year player. Since Mariah, who is from Lincoln, transferred to Omaha perhaps she was just wanting to be closer to home. She should do well at Omaha.

Not sure how this team will do next year but I hope we see more stability in the lineup and more consistency in the level of play. Hopefully, the smaller rosters size will contribute to that. If that happens than I would be feeling pretty good about the team for the 22-23 season. This next season they potentially could be pretty good but they have a lot to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It looks to me like the top two players in sets played, Kayce Litzau and Sophia Rohling, are returning. McKayla Wuensch who was 3rd in sets played is not returning. Now if Lambo does go to a 5-1 with Kayce as his principal setters as Lambo has said he is considering (and perhaps even leaning towards) then McKayla moving on may not be all that significant. Perhaps this was even a factor in McKayla deciding to go elsewhere for her final year of eligibility. My guess it probably was.

So I calculate 54% of the sets played by the top 12 are gone and, yes, about 67% after tthe top 2.

That said Natalie Foster was wasn't amont the top 12 in sets played for the season and only played on 7 sets over the first 11 matches of the season. However, she played in all 23 sets over the final 6 matches of the season and was clearly one of our more effectived weapons. In the final two matches against Houston she had by far her best blocking effort of the season with a total of 9 block assists so hopefully that's sign she was starting to geet the blocking game figured out. Emma Wright and Brooke Smith, our two primary middles, were moving on one way or the other aftter this season and it you could see that Natalie and Lauren McMahon were in line to take over those spots.

Sina may have felt like she had been jerked around a bit. Volunteered to play libero to help the team. Seemed to be doing okay with that but then over at least those last 6 matches Lambo went with Lily Liekweg at the libero and switched Sina to more of a 6 rotation payer. In the 2 matches against Tulane Sina had 70 attacks but hit only 17-6-70 = .157. In the final 4 matches against Kansas and Houston Sina was limited to mostly back row duty. She played in 6 of the 7 matches against Kansas but she only played in 3 of 7 sets against Houston. In those final 9 sets she only had 2 kills on 8 attempts.

Megan Taflinger showed signs of what she is capable of but was just not consistent enough. In her 4 best matches of the season she was 58-14-144 = .306 in 18 sets played. In the other 33 sets over 11 matches she was 53-35-201 = .090 plus Megan did not play at all in the final two matches against Houston. Not sure she even was at thosel last two matches. So not very consistent performances from Megan. Plus I think there was hope Megan could be an effective back row player but her skills there just never seemed to develop.

Nicole Anderson had a pretty good start to the season but seemed to be a little bit of a head casd at times. NIcole played in 22 sets in the first 7 matches of the year hitting 71-21-195 = .256. She played in 7 of the final 10 matches of the season and a total of 24 sets. In those matches she hit 43-26-205 = .083.

Mariah Buss on the other hand struggled in the first half or so of the season and played better down the stretch. In her first 23 sets over 9 matches Mariah was 25-21-109 = .037. In her final 15 sets over 5 matches at the end of the season she was 30-13-86 = .198. That inlcuded 3 very good matches and 2 very poor matches is an on-off-on-off-on finish to her season.

Just looking at how their seasons went I guess it is not a big surprise that Sina, Megan and Nicole decided to move on. Not necessarily putting the blame for that on these players. Perhaps something Lambo and his coaches did that contributed to this. Or perhaps they could see (or were told) which way the wind was blowing regarding their future roles on the team and based on that decide to move on. Sina is transferring to Toledo. Did not find anything on transfers for Megan and Nicole but they can help a lot of teams.

Mariah was the 2018-19 Nebraska Gatorade Player of the Year and so she is used to being the successful and a top dog on her team. She did show improvement down the stretch although up and down but that would not be unusual for a first year player. Since Mariah, who is from Lincoln, transferred to Omaha perhaps she was just wanting to be closer to home. She should do well at Omaha.

Not sure how this team will do next year but I hope we see more stability in the lineup and more consistency in the level of play. Hopefully, the smaller rosters size will contribute to that. If that happens than I would be feeling pretty good about the team for the 22-23 season. This next season they potentially could be pretty good but they have a lot to prove.
                Well, thanks for catching my mistake regarding McKayla (not sure how I overlooked that as I knew it). Guess my feeble approach to all this was possibly made a little stronger.

However, reminding me that she moved on also just made me upset again about the program (Coach) "cancelling" players from the roster that left on Go Shockers by removing them from last year's roster along with no team picture, but contributed last year........even if they were listed as seniors (extra year or not). Sorry, but I just think that is totally bush league. That could even affect recruiting if other teams' coaches noticed it and use that against him as being petty.

Comment

However, reminding me that she moved on also just made me upset again about the program (Coach) "cancelling" players from the roster that left on Go Shockers by removing them from last year's roster along with no team picture, but contributed last year........even if they were listed as seniors (extra year or not). Sorry, but I just think that is totally bush league. That could even affect recruiting if other teams' coaches noticed it and use that against him as being petty.

I don't disagree. Not sure any of our other sports do that. For example WBB has 3 players not returning next year. 2 did not play at all in 2020-21 due to health/injury issues I think. All 3 are still listed on the 2020-21 roster but WBB has a 21-22 roster up that excludes them and does not yeat have any newcomers listed yet. But that is the way to do it.

I think you should send an email to Shannon Lamb and express your opinion on this. I think I am going to do that as well.

slamb@goshockers.com

I would suggest a kind approach would be the most effective. However, I anticipate Shannon will respond to you one way or the other. She has always responded to emails i have sent her even though I really never solicit a response.

Comment

Looking at next year I see McKayla graduated. Not sure she wanted to go to grad in WSU or not but there is life after volleyball. I doubt highly she was shown the door. Nicole still hasn’t signed anywhere and nothing on Megan. Maybe the door is open for them to come back. Sina and Mariah leaving is a big loss for this WSU team. Both had talent but even more had winning positive personalities. I figure both left because of a lack of consistency in roster. This team lost 3 pin hitters. Megan and Mariah seemed to play mostly right side. I’m guessing the reason for both their poor stats. Nicole mostly played left side but in Lambos offense the left side gets 90% of the junk sets. The middles and Sophia get the sets that are on target. It’s debatable if these girls can hit a ball out of system. This team just got younger again. Thinking an improved record is possible is hard to fathom. Another rebuilding year. The good news is the girls that are staying want to be Shockers. Let’s hope for some consistency in roster moves and maybe the girls when gain the confidence to play hard

Comment

At last check it looked like the 2021 roster was at 17 players. 15 players that were on last year's roster plus incoming freshman libero, 5-5 Annalie Heliste out of Cypress, Texas, and transfer Kailin Newsome, a 5-11 OH transfer from Southeastern Louisiana where she was Southland Conference freshman of the year.

There is now a roster up for the 2021 season and it is at 20 players. The additions to the roster are 3 incoming freshman.

Addy Badley, a 6-0 MB our of Fort Worth Christian High School. https://goshockers.com/sports/womens...dy-badley/6039

Lara Uyar, a 5-2 L/DS out of Ismir, Turkey. https://goshockers.com/sports/womens...lara-uyar/6041

Zofia Szczotkiewiz, a 6-2 setter out of Walcz, Poland. (Who I think I will call 4-Z from here on out). https://goshockers.com/sports/womens...zotkiewiz/6038

It appears that the class year on this roster are based on eligibility and not on academic year. The roster now consists of the following (in terms of eligibility): 2 Juniors, 4 sophomores and 14 freshman. Of course, the actual experience is a bit better than that but still a very young team. And talk about the pig in the python. That freshman class is a BIG pig. 4 or 5 of those freshman probably will redshirt I would think.

A couple of things about 4-Z. She is 6-2. I think Lambo likes a little taller setter but the last 6-2 setter he recruited (Kora Kauling) didn't work out. That gives the Shockers 4 setters on the roster. 1 sophomore (Kayce Litzau) and 3 freshman (Hailey Plugge, Lauren Phillips and 4-Z). Doesn't make a switch to a 5-1 offense seem likely.

I hope we don't continue with the revolving door lineup approach that we had last year. If we do that would indicate Lambo is still looking for answers.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 30, 2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

4Z lol
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

One of my favorite events was just ruined by Gov Kelly.

I am definitely in a foul mood.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            One of my favorite events was just ruined by Gov Kelly.

I am definitely in a foul mood.
                            I assume something that impact this year's Volleyball Dinner and Auction?

Comment

The new mask mandate.

From what I am hearing, I think it's pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X