Shocks Host Houston to Close ot the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host Houston to Close ot the Season

Not sure either team had much to play for this weekend other than pride and maybe seeding in the NCAA Touranment for Houston but I certainly was not expecting the Shocks to hand Houston their 1st loss in AAC play this season epecially the way the season has turned south on the Shocks but somehow the Shocks walked off the court tonight with a 3-1 win 21, (20), 20 and 20. Kudos forf the Shocks for playing out the string and not just throwing in the towel. The Shocks break a 7 match losing streak.

Was so glad to see Lambo give Natalie a chance over the last month. She certainly has responded very well including a season and career best match hitting 17-2-27 = .556 plus 6 block assists and a service ace. Those are very Abbie Lehman kind of numbers. Emma was very solid in the middle tonight as well hitting 10-2-22 = .364 plus 8 block assists.

The Shocks outhit Houston .231 to .139 thanks in a large part to outblocking Houston 15-6.

Perhaps a bit of hope for the future maybe.

Tulane clinched the #2 seed in the AAC West Division with a 3-1 win over Tulsa. SMU's matches at Memphis were cancelled to positive Covid-19 cases and the resulting contact tracing in the SMU program.

Comment

A little shout out to Nicole Anderson. Nicole has definitley had her ups and downs this season but I think the Shocks success in utilizing their middles so effectively against Houston was due to the Shockers being in system more consistently and I thought Nicole's play and passing on the back row was a big factor in that. Lily Likweig also had a good match in that regard.

That work in the middle combined with a terrific blocking match carried the Shocks to the upset.

I assume Brooke Smith with get at least some time in the middle agaisnt Houston on Saturday as one of the 3 Shocker seniors together with Emma and McKayla.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 27, 2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        ... the Shocks success in utilizing their middles so effectively against Houston was due to the Shockers being in system more consistently
        I agree and almost made that observation last night. You are not getting a lot of swings for the middles unless you are getting good passing from the back row.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I assume Brooke Smith will get at least some time in the middle against Houston on Saturday as one of the 3 Shocker seniors together with Emma and McKayla.
          I actually assume they will all start - at least in the first set.

That is almost a quote. My grammar checker has a mind of its own sometimes. :)

Comment

What??? No face masks! Hope the Shocks play well are we may never see the players' faces again.

Comment

NIcole has good all-round skills but would generally not be your go to player at the net. She had 17 attacks in Set 1 and Morgan Weber with 7 was 2nd most. So either Houston has made some adjustments and/or the Shocks aren't playing/passing as well as they did yesterday. Probably some of both. The Shocker block also hasn't been in play after 1 set today.

Houston bounces back to sweep the Shocks 21, 23 and 18. Houston was perhaps a little better todya and the Shockers not nearly as good as they played yesterday. Abbie Jackson and Kortlyn Henderson are two impressive players. Houston essentially has everyone back next year.

Nicole did lead the Shocks with 9 kills but only hit .103 and setting Nicole 39 times in 3 sets is probably not the recipe the Shocks need be successful.

The Shocks aren't that far off. Just need to find more consistency.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 27, 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X