NorthTexas at Shockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorthTexas at Shockers

These matches, originally scheduled for January 28 and 29, this Thursday and Friday, have been rescheduled to 7 p.m. Thursday, February 4, and 1 p.m. Friday, February 5, due to COVID issues within the North Texas program.

WSU up 19-12 in Set 1. Freshman Morgan Weber making her debut and playing quite well.

Comment

Shocks handled North Texas quite handily sweeping them 18, 19 and 12. North Texas has been a fairly decent program in recent years.

For the match the Shocks hit 0.286 vs 0.000 for the Mean Green.

Megan Taflinger was a solid 9-2-24 = 0.292
      Morgan Weber and Brooke Smith were both 6-1-17 = 0.24
      Emma Wright was an efficient 3-0-5 =0.600

However, Sophia Rohling was an eye-popping 14-0-23 = 0.609. Outstanding for a pin player.

Comment

The Shockers soundly won the serve-receive part of the match. NT has some serious ball-handling issues. Sometimes our sketchy setting prolonged the first two sets. We had several very nice scrambling return sequences.

Great cheering and support from the bench. It certainly appears this is a team that likes each other, an impression that would be hard to get in some recent years.

Morgan Weber sailed a cut shot well out of bounds on her first collegiate swing but settled in nicely after that. She appeared to sprain her foot early in the third set. Trainers put tape over the foot in the arch area and took her back to the locker room. She was back out before the match ended.

Sina looked very comfortable as the libero.

Brylee Kelly was still a no-show.

And Sophia was an absolute stud!!
        Last edited by flyingMoose; February 4, 2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Nice Match One article on the NTU site with quotes from the coach and a couple of players

Comment

Shocks take today's match 3-1 (25-20, 23-25, 25-18, 25-18). I wonder if UNT got their game legs back in the first two sets.

Comment

NTU Match Two:

Shocks prevail in 4 sets: 25-20, 23-25, 25-18 and 25-18.

Shocks outhit NTU .240 to .188 so NTU was much more effective on the attack today than in the Thursday match.

Megan Taflinger was 13-3-36 = .278
              Sophia Rohling was 12-3-31 = .290
              Emma Wrigth was 9-1-16 = .500 with her only error late in the 4th set.
              Brooke Smith was 6-0-14 = .429

The Shocks middle attack finally looking like days of old after several down years as Kayce and Mykala are getting their timing down with the middles.

Shocks had 9 blocks to 6 for NTU. Shocks had 7 services aces to 6 service errors for +1 while NTU had 2 aces and 14 service errors for a -12.

Shocks move to 5-0 on the season and will start AAC play matches in Tulsa next Thrusday and Friday. Wichita State has won five consecutive matches for the first time since 2017.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 6, 2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Shocks take today's match 3-1 (25-20, 23-25, 25-18, 25-18). I wonder if UNT got their game legs back in the first two sets.
                No doubt getting a match under their belt was helpful. NTU would have been much tougher had All-Conference USA outside hitter Valerie Valerian elected to play this winter which she could have but she opted to put her 4.0 accounting degree to work instead of playing this winter.

Comment

The article for Match Two from the North Texas site. Only coach's comments this time.

Comment

Rohling Named to American Weekly Honor Roll

Wichita State University volleyball sophomore opposite hitter Sophia Rohling was named to the American Athletic Conference Weekly Honor Roll for her performance on the court Feb. 1-7, the conference office announced Monday, Feb. 8.

Rohling, who hails from Thayer, Kan., led the Shockers with 3.71 kills per set and a .426 attacking percentage in WSU's two victories over the North Texas Mean Green Thursday, Feb. 4, and Friday, Feb.5, at Charles Koch Arena.

In Wichita State's 3-0 sweep of the Mean Green Thursday, Rohling hit a career-best .609, tallying a career-high 14 kills on 23 swings with no errors.

Friday, in WSU's 3-1 triumph over UNT, she added 12 kills on 31 attempts with three miscues for a .290 attacking percentage, while also posting five digs and a trio of block assists.

For the week, Rohling posted 26 kills on 54 attempts with just three errors.

Comment

A link somewhere to the Coach's Show? I do not appear to have the talent to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        A link somewhere to the Coach's Show? I do not appear to have the talent to find it.
                        Not sure about the link, but I listened to last nights show (taped Monday night); I love listening to coach Lamb... he helped make me a volleyball fan. I hope we never take advantage of him, because he could coach anywhere he wants.
                        Last edited by WstateU; February 10, 2021, 12:48 PM.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Not sure about the link, but I listened to last night's show (taped Monday night); I love listening to coach Lamb... he helped make me a volleyball fan. I hope we never take advantage of him, because he could coach anywhere he wants.
                          I had another engagement and could not listen. If no link, does someone have a summary?

Comment

Working...
                          X