Virtual FanFest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual FanFest

The inaugural Shocker Volleyball Virtual FanFest Presented by Cox is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 15, at 7 p.m. The event, which will be free of charge and utilize Zoom, will feature Wichita State head volleyball coach Chris Lamb, along with his coaching staff and select student-athletes from the 2020-21 Shockers.

That was a lot of fun! Occasionally Lambo would ask, Am I answering the right question? Every time, Brylee would just crack up. A number of freshmen, as well as upperclassmen, were part of the Zoom. Mike did a great job as the moderator.

The season starts next weekend with three games at Missouri State. South Dakota and Oral Roberts are the other two opponents. The following weekend, North Texas comes to town for two matches.

The conference matches are back to back at the same site. West and East are two divisions. We host SMU, Houston, and Memphis. We travel to play Tulsa and Tulane. The top two teams from each division play for the AQ. I think Lambo said there will only be sixteen at-larges in the NCAA Tournament. No place for an AAC at-large.

There are two open weekends in the conference schedule, and it appears that KU and K-State will fill those weekends. Again, those will be DHs.

With so many university athletic programs under financial stress, Lambo anticipates similar scheduling in the fall.

Comment

I had to duck out for some of it....did they say if a replay would be available?

Comment

Interesting comments by Chris Lamb this past Wednesday on The Drive.

https://21133.mc.tritondigital.com/O...3?t=1610578758

Quintessential Lambo.

Said he tries to recruit athletes and train them in volleyball skills so practice and training are very important to him.

Was very high on Brylee Kelley. Also positive comments on Kayce Litzau, Brooke Smith and Sophia Rowling.

Very interesting comment on the freshman class. The best class no money can by as he hasn't had a recruiting budget since they joined the AAC.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 16, 2021, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Coach hosts a regional and gets nothing for recruiting. SMH

I've talked to Lambo about this, and I'm amazed how positive and accepting he is of the situation. It's not just that he's pragmatic but also how willing, if not even "natural" it is for him to figure out a way to overcome. If he wasn't so intelligent and thoughtful, I'd probably say he doesn't even see that as a hardship. He's a remarkable person and we're so lucky to have him (and of course Shannon) not only lead this program but be a part of our community.

I'm so sick and tired of all this ****.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Coach hosts a regional and gets nothing for recruiting. SMH

I've talked to Lambo about this, and I'm amazed how positive and accepting he is of the situation. It's not just that he's pragmatic but also how willing, if not even "natural" it is for him to figure out a way to overcome. If he wasn't so intelligent and thoughtful, I'd probably say he doesn't even see that as a hardship. He's a remarkable person and we're so lucky to have him (and of course Shannon) not only lead this program but be a part of our community.

I'm so sick and tired of all this ****.
            Totally agree about how lucky we are to have Chris and Shannon. And it still irks me that WBB HCKA makes substantially more money than Chris for far less results and performance.

Hopefully, WSU and its fan base aren't taking this duo for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              I had to duck out for some of it....did they say if a replay would be available?
              Not that I heard. Connor Phelps was the Marketing person managing Zoom, so maybe he is the contact. I vaguely recall the Recording light being On. Tami Cutler was also there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Totally agree about how lucky we are to have Chris and Shannon. And it still irks me that WBB HCKA makes substantially more money than Chris for far less results and performance.

Hopefully, WSU and its fan base aren't taking this duo for granted.
                Yeah, I would use a lot different word than irks. But then again, I'm a dick.

Comment

A couple of ways for Shocker fans to help Lambo's recruiting budget:

Buy Season Tickets: https://goshockers.evenue.net/cgi-bi...eId=ev_wichita

Adults: $65.00; 65+ and 12 & Under: $55.00

Or at least attend a few matches.

For the more committed to Shocker Volleyball join the Shocks Match Club:

Hopefully by August the will be able to get the Shocker Volleyball Dinner and Auction going again although that's probably far from certain at this point.

Comment

Working...
                  X