@ Illinois State and @ Indiana State - Final Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Illinois State and @ Indiana State - Final Weekend

Shocks travel to Normal for a match with the Redbirds (17-11, 9-7) tonight at 7:00 pm and then over to Terre Haute for a 6:00 pm match with the Sycamores (14-14, 6-10) on Saturday.

The Shocks have no room for error and must win these matches. Illinois State has quietly had a pretty solid year and have played the upper level MVC teams pretty tough and has an outside shot at moving into 4th place. Indiana State is fighting for the final spot in the MVC Tournament.

And don't think these are slam dunk wins for the Shocks (we did lose at Evansville who is only 3-13 in MVC play). The Shocks need to show up motivated and focused to set up the potential for an NCAA at-large bid if they can win these two matches and make a strong showing in the MVC Tournament.

:poster_shocks:

BTW, Shane Dennis will be broadcasting his first ever Volleyball matches this weekend. I'm sure he will do well but I am interested to see how the newbie does. Matches are carried on 103.7 FM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      BTW, Shane Dennis will be broadcasting his first ever Volleyball matches this weekend. I'm sure he will do well but I am interested to see how the newbie does. Matches are carried on 103.7 FM.
      On Sports Daily yesterday Shane said he was hoping for three quick sets in both matches. He hadn't ever heard Mike and watched the game at the same time. I have little doubt Shane will do fine. He's a professional.

Comment

Great job on the National Anthem in Redbird Arena tonight.

Comment

He's not very good. Mike spoils us.

Comment

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. Shocks rally from a 15-18 deficit with a 10-2 run to take Set 1 by a score of 25-20.

Comment

Shocks play better overall in Set 2 although at 25-19 it still was not super easy. Shocks go up 2-0.

Shocks were tied at 20-20 in Set 1, but lead 23-17 after 40 points in Set 2, so not quite as gut wrenching.

Comment

A service error by ILS ends set 3 at 25-20 as the Shocks complete the sweep.

Glad to have this one behind us. On to Terre Haute to close out the regular season.

Comment

Missouri State sweeps Indiana State 25-19, 25-19 and 28-26 to clinch 2nd place. Shocks get the Sycamores, who are battling for the 6th and final spot in the MVC Tournament tomorrow night. I think the Shocks may have clinched the #3 seed tonight but we need to finish of the year with a win to have any hope at all of an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

UNI marches on with a 16, 15, 20 sweep of Evansville.

Bradley keeps there hopes alive for the #6 seed with a 3-1 win over SIU in Carbondale.

Comment

If the Shockers somehow lose to the Sycamores (or if both Drake and Bradley lose, to Creighton and @ Evansville respectively), then y'all will have a rematch with Indiana State on Thursday.

If WSU wins over INS, Drake dispatches Creighton, and Evansville endures Bradley, the the Shockers will face the Bulldogs.

Otherwise, I believe the Bradley Braves earn the #6 seed. (though I'm only 95% sure, as some of the tiebreaks get kinda hairy).

Personally, my prediction is that WSU beats INS, Creighton beats Drake, and Bradley beats Evansville, leading to a Shocker/Brave matchup on Thursday.
                    And frankly, I just find it refreshing to see Bradley still in the discussion at this point, instead of being locked in the cellar

Comment

Shocks show how to properly dismantle the Trees, sweeping Indiana State 28-26, 25-18, 25-13 and now face a situation where the next loss is likely the final match of the season, and for seniors Sarah Waldorf, Camri Zwiesler and the fantastic career of Mary Elizabeth Hooper.

The Shocks dominated by feeding the middles where Andrade and Field both hit over .600 with zero errors. WSU hit .396 as a team for the match.

Well done ladies. Have a safe trip home and get ready for post season play.

The light from Wichita is going to be substantially less bright with the departure of Mary Elizabeth Hooper.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Shocks show how to properly dismantle the Trees, sweeping Indiana State 28-26, 25-18, 25-13 and now face a situation where the next loss is likely the final match of the season, and for seniors Sarah Waldorf, Camri Zwiesler and the fantastic career of Mary Elizabeth Hooper.

The Shocks dominated by feeding the middles where Andrade and Field both hit over .600 with zero errors. WSU hit .396 as a team for the match.

Well done ladies. Have a safe trip home and get ready for post season play.

The light from Wichita is going to be substantially less bright with the departure of Mary Elizabeth Hooper.

http://www.kansas.com/2011/11/17/210...erfection.html
                        What he said x10,000

Comment

UNI with an easy 13, 17, 15 sweep if SIU to complete another undefeated MVC regular season.

Evansville ends Bradley's season with a 3-1 win at home.

Creighton pulls out a 5-set win over Drake to end Drake's season. #3 Shocks will be playing #6 Indiana State again on Thursday in Round 1 of the MVC Tournament.

#2 Missouri State and #5 Illinois State heading to a 5th set in Normal. MSU wins set 5 by a 15-8 score.

Looks like the MVC field is set.

Thursday:
                          #3 WSU vs #6 Indiana State
                          #4 Creighton vs #5 Illinois State

Friday:
                          #2 MSU vs WSU/Indiana State Winner
                          #1 UNI vs Creighton/Illinois State Winner

Saturday:
                          Friday winners meet for Championship
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 19, 2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

2011 MVC conference tournament:
                            McLeod Center - Cedar Falls, IA

Thurs. 11/24/11
                            5 p.m. - #3 Wichita State vs. #6 Indiana State
                            7:30 p.m. - #4 Creighton vs. #5 Illinois State

Fri. 11/25/11
                            5 p.m. - #2 Missouri State vs. [WSU/INS winner]
                            7:30 p.m. - #1 UNI vs. [CU/ILS winner]

Sat. 11/26/11
                            6:37 p.m. - Championship match

Comment

I agree with Doc's sentiments regarding Mary Elizabeth.

However, I am not convinced that our next loss is likely the final match of the season. If our next loss is to UNI in the MVC Tournament Championship game I think the Ladies will have at least one more match on the horizon.

If our next loss is to Missouri State in the tournament semi-finals then we will be squarely on the NCAA bubble. Could go either way.

If our next loss is to Indiana State on Thursday, then yes our season will be over.

Comment

Working...
                              X