Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creighton Classic, Sept 19-21 (Wichita, Creighton, Wyoming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creighton Classic, Sept 19-21 (Wichita, Creighton, Wyoming)

Edit: Wichita State/Creighton streaming free on the NETV site, link above. Wichita State/Wyoming on Jays Video, link below.

About 300 seats remain for Wichita-Creighton on the 19th at 6:30. For Wichita-Wyoming at 2:00 on the 20th, the Creighton ticket office has confirmed the match will have free general admission. So if you're thinking of making the drive, the ticket savings would pay for the gasoline. Sokol Arena capacity is 2500.
    Last edited by JayPak; September 19, 2019, 05:38 PM.

Good stuff!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Bump, added video links to OP.

Sorry to hear about the season ending injury to Civita. I've always enjoyed watching her fly around the court. If she comes back for 2 more years with a more experienced cohort, the injury could have a silver lining down the road.

Creighton preview... Jays have a 4-year starting libero, 4-year setter (2 at Creighton), a 4-yr and 3-yr pair of middles, so we are solid there. Still coached by KBB and running a 5-1 high tempo offense. Where we are raw is at OH, OPP, and DS. Four-yr starters Jaali Winters and Taryn Kloth are gone and Kari Zumach, our starting OPP last year, transferred unexpectedly to Indiana. Keeley Davis is the replacement for Winters and junior transfer Erica Kostalec tries to be Taryn Kloth. Jayla Zimmerman rotates at OH and OPP.

Our biggest strengths are quick setting, a diversified balanced attack, and floor defense. Our biggest weaknesses are atrocious serve receive, wildly inconsistent serving, and struggling to terminate outside. We lack firepower outside; therefore the middle connection is important. If the Jays win the serve-and-pass game tonight they should cruise, but they've only won it once all season and otherwise it could get interesting.
      Last edited by JayPak; September 19, 2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Well we've lost serve receive in every match so far so...……..

Comment

It will be interesting to see how things play out with Giorgia. She would have to get a timeclock extension to play 2 more years as next year would be year 5 for her. I think she could probalby get that if she wants it. The thing is though that this is the 3rd knee injury Gio has suffered through on the same knee (at least that is what I think she told me at this year's VB Dinner & Auction). She injured her knee before coming prior to coming to WSU, she injured her knee again early in her 1st year at WSU, played 2 years and then has injured the knee a 3rd time prior to the start of this season. We have had players who were unable to recover from a single ACL injury in the past. This has to be taking its toll on Giorgia's mobility although that was perhaps never the strength of her game. We'll just have to wait and see how she responds for a 3rd time.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazing young lady isn't she? (Not at all uncommon in this program)

No pre-match show for Kennedy tonight I guess. This is the only match of the night so we shouldn't be running late.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 19, 2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Starting lineup assuming the live stats are accurate. Brylee Kelly, Kora Kauling, Emma Wright, Nicole Anderson, Sina Uluave, Megan Tafllinger, Kara Bown. I assume Bylee comes off and Kara enters before the 1st serve.

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Kora seems to suggest a 6-2, not the 5-1 possibility.

Overpasses on two simple balls intended for the setter. Leading though.

McKayla is the second setter.

7-5 becomes 7-10 before the Shocks score again.

A Shocker overpass and a Jay kill. 8-13 and a Shocker TO.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; September 19, 2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Blocking was good early but since then it has been all Creighton. Overall, the Shockers do not look good.

13-21 and another Shocker TO.

First set to Creighton, 25-15.

LiveStats has died so no real idea about the stats.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm getting Kennedy now.

Set Two

Mike is now on the air.

First set: .059 v .250

9-15 and (I think) a media TO.

14-20 (although Mike says 21, disagreeing with live video and live stats) and a Shocker TO.

17-25 and the Jays take the second set.

For the set, -.040 v .407.

For the match, .017 v . 313.

Brylee, Nicole, and Chinolo all have a paltry three kills.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; September 19, 2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Set Three

Lily on the court to serve first.

Although the Shockers had leads in each of the first two sets, they fall behind early 0-4 and are forced to take a TO at 1-7. Shocks now hitting negative for the match.

Kayce and Sophia rotate in. McKayla is the other setter.

3-11 but a four-point Shocker run leads to a Creighton TO.

Kora rotates in for Kayce. [Only to serve?]

Two consecutive Shocker blocks bring the score to 14-16 and brings another TO by the Jays.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; September 19, 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                That ball down the line by Creighton looks to be in. And it was.

• flyingMoose
                flyingMoose commented
                Editing a comment
                I am not sure what the challenge was. If they challenged Creighton in the net, I don't think so. If they challenged reaching over the net, then maybe. Was listening to Mike and did not see what the ref signaled as the challenge.

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                The challenge was reaching over the net, not that it really makes a difference.

17-22 and a Shocker TO.

19-25 and the Jays sweep the Shockers.

None of the sets were an absolute rout, but the outcomes were never in doubt either.

.011 v .276

Post-match comments

Passing was bad, hurting the Shocker attack. Nothing going in the middle.

Setting still a problem. Too many attack errors.

Happy with nine blocks.

Talent gap and experience gap.

Focus on baby steps and fundamentals.

Mike spoke well of Brylee (7-5-16 for .125) and Lambo agreed. Still struggle with middle scoring and its setting.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; September 19, 2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Wasn't expecting the Shocks to beat Creighton on even win a set but was hoping to see a step forward but can't say that I did. The serve receive, passing and setting continues to be a challenge although the setters really don't get a lot of well placed passes to do really get into system.

The Shocks simply don't have the fillies to stay with the top teams on their non-con schedule.

Comment

Wyoming tomorrow - a coin-flip match says Mike. Pablo has Wyoming a very slight favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Wasn't expecting the Shocks to beat Creighton on even win a set but was hoping to see a step forward but can't say that I did. The serve receive, passing and setting continues to be a challenge although the setters really don't get a lot of well placed passes to do really get into system.

The Shocks simply don't have the fillies to stay with the top teams on their non-con schedule.
                    Youth showing through. If we can get the passing and setting fixed, this team will look totally different.

Comment

Working...
                    X