Penn State Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LionVision is back.

12-10 becomes 12-13 and leads to a Shocker TO.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; August 30, 2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Johnson with the facial to give the Shocks the lead again at 15-14.

Comment

18-16 and a Holy Cross TO.

23-18 (thank you, LV) and the second HC TO.

And now Mike is back with the pre-game!

Shockers take the second set, 25-20, ending with a block.

To this point, .286 v .115 with four blocks v one.

Damadj is 6-0-10 for .600! Nicole has seven kills, Brylee has six and Megan has five. Emma is 3-0-7 for .429.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; August 30, 2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I am getting Mike real-time now. Shocks take the 2nd set 25-20.

Shocks have been running a 6-2. So far I have been more impressed with Kayce's setting than I have with McKayla. Kayce and Dmadj got in sync pretty well mid-way through the 2nd set.

Comment

Shocks take the 2nd 25-20. Jumping around in between sets. Not the prettiest volleyball but an ok way to start the season.

I wonder if Sophia Rohling is banged up. I can't believe she hasn't seen the court yet.

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Mike just said Sophia has a strained abdominal and will not play this weekend.

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Lambo has always said that abdominal strains for volleyball players especially a hitter are very significant. Hopefully, this will not plague Sophia throughout her freshman year.

Set Three

Shockers lead at 6-1 and causes a Holy Cross TO.

Arianna is in about mid-set.

18-11 and the second TO for Holy Cross.

Shockers taken the third set and the match, 25-20.

.287 v .089 with five blocks v two.

Damadj was 9-0-14 for .643 and Megan was 9-2-22 for .314. Brylee and Nicole had eight kills and Sina had seven kills. Every hitter was above .200.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; August 30, 2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Shocks cruise to a 25-12 win in Set 3 to finish off the sweep. A little bit of nerves to start out the match I think but they seemed to gradually get more and more comfortable.

Good to see some success in the middle. We really struggled with that last year.

Some really nice Shocker debuts for Brylee, Nicole, Sina, McKayla, Kayce, and Dmadj. Arianna got a little court time late in set 3 as well. Considering that Sophia and Chinelo weren't available to the Shocks I would think Lambo will consider it a good enough start to the season.

We may not find out though as someone pulled the plug on MIke I guess.

Comment

You can't make it up......Audio cuts out just as Lambo finds his way up the maze to where Mike is doing the broadcast. SMH

Comment

The Shockers started off a bit slow but seemed to gradually gain some confidence and comfort level. Holy Cross was probably a good season opening opponent for this team. Should get much tougher tomorrow agaisnt Hofstra and, for sure, against Penn State.

Comment

For the match the Shocks hit 45-10-121 = 0.289 for a kill rate of 37.2% and an error rate of 8.3%. I think Lambo will be pretty satisfied with that especially the low error rate. However, that might be tempered by the quality of opponent. I thought Holy Cross was scrappy and gave really good effort, especially their libero, but they are not very big. Holy Cross only managed 2 blocks in today's match.

Quite the Shocker debut for Dmadj hitting 9-0-14 = .643. She and Kayce in particular seemed to work well toghether.

The Shocks had pretty balanced scoring with Emma contributing 6 points on 4 kills and 4 block assists, Brylee 8 points on 8 kills, Nicole 9 points on 8 kills and a service ace, Sina 9.5 points on 7 kills, a service ace and 3 block assists, Dmadj 9.5 points on 9 kills and a block assist, Megan 10 points on 9 kills and 2 block assists.

Kayce had 23 assists and McKayla had 14 assists with no service errors. Of note McKayla had 12 digs to only 2 for Kayce so McKayla may well have had fewer setting opportunities. No kills from the serving position for the Shocks. That may not be a big threat for this team especially if they continue to run a 6-2.

Nicole had 10 digs so she just missed a double-double in her Shocker debut. Sina had 7 kills and 8 digs and both she and Nicole had a service ace as these 2 freshman were both pretty much playing 6 rotations. What will this 6-rotation duo be like by the time they are seniors?

18 digs in 3 sets for Kara is a nice start to her senior season. I would have liked to hear Lambo to see if he had any comments on the quality of our passing.

The Shocks did have 8 service errors but 5 of those came in Set 1. Only 3 service errors in sets 2 and 3 is pretty solid. Nicole and Megan each had 3 service errors. Sina only had 1 service error which is a good sign with the way she serves.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 31, 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Penn State sweeps Hofstra tonight 13, 19 and 18 while hitting a torrid .417
                      ​​​​​

Comment

And sweeps Holy Cross this morning - 5, 12, and 14, hitting .538.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                          WuDrWu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Probably have our hands full tonight with the #8 team in the country.

Probably.

• flyingMoose
                          flyingMoose commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, we gave up 51 points in our sweep. The Nittany Lions only gave up 31.

Match Two

Shockers v Hofstra

Set One

Comment

We have a Kennedy pre-game show.

Lambo said that the connection between Kayce and Damdj in the middle agaisnt Holy Cross was a pleasant surprise. He said they had not been connecting that will in practice.

Hofstra was at 38% kills at Penn State which Lambo said it shows they have pretty good firepower. But they also had a 23% error rate.

Having pre-game interview with Lambo really adds to the experience of following the Shocks.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 31, 2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

My luck is terrible. I can't make out a thing anyone is saying on the pregame.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                              1972Shocker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Weird. Coming in very clear for me. I'm listening on my desktop computer.
                          Working...
                          X