No announcement yet.

MVC Tournament and NCAA At-Large Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You heard right, RPI doesn't figure in a road factor and that has to be changed, IF the committee is going to use it.

I've been wrong about WSU's fortunes pretty much at every turn this year. '72 has been almost dead on. I hope the trend continues because I give the Shocks no chance at an at large and think they must win the tourney in Cedar Falls, which isn't going to happen imho.

Comment

I hope UNI is able to host, and if they do, they have successful tournament. From a selfish standpoint that has to help other schools from the MVC having a shot at hosting in the future if they can manage a strong enough season.

I'm rooting for UNI to make the finals against WSU (preferably) or MSU. To me that gives the Shocks the best opportunity (assuming they get by Indiana State) for an at-large bid. Not really wanting to depend on beating UNI in the finals although I think we are capable of that if we play our best volleyball.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        You heard right, RPI doesn't figure in a road factor and that has to be changed, IF the committee is going to use it.
        That really makes no sense at all. Especially, in the MVC with back-to-back scheduling and sometimes long bus rides.

If the RPI doesn't have a road vs home factor than it is about a billion to one that the Volleyball selection committee gives it any consideration either.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          '72 has been almost dead on.
          Thanks Doc, but all I can say about that is I'll have some of what you're smokin'. I think this year's Shocker team has been one of the most difficult to figure out in the Lambo era. The only thing I know for certain about this year's team is that it consists of very fine young ladies and student athletes and regardless how the season turns out I have been proud to support them.

:poster_shocks:
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 22, 2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Thanks Doc, but all I can say about that is I'll have some of what you're smokin'. I think this year's Shocker team has been one of the most difficult to figure out in the Lambo era. The only think I know for certain about this year's team is that it consists of very fine young ladies and student athletes and regardless how the season turns out I have been proud to support them.

:poster_shocks:
            I agree with 72 we have very fine young ladies
            We have the talent to win the Tournament
            Not sure we have the focus to win, still think there are head issues
            We usually don't play well in the Valley Tournament -
            It is up to our leadership!
            GO SHOX!

Comment

Does anyone know if they are going to televise the championship game like normal? I can't seem to find it anywhere on my guide.

Comment

Originally posted by bunck View Post
                Does anyone know if they are going to televise the championship game like normal? I can't seem to find it anywhere on my guide.
                Both the quarterfinal and semifinal rounds of the State Farm MVC Tournament will be video webcast at http://www.valley-live.tv, with Greg Halbleib and Linda Dollar on the call.

The championship final will air live at 6:37 p.m. on Sat., Nov. 26, on the MVC TV Network on FOX College Sports, ESPN3 (outside of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska), DirecTV (channel 658), Dish Network (channel 449) and AT&T U-Verse (channel 693) and on alternate cable channels in Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. In Kansas, the telecast will be seen live on Cox channel 22 or 76.

And the Creighton news release includes info on a satellite broadcast, but I have no clue what that entails. And it also has more detailed info on local cable broadcasts, which I'll paste here:
                The telecast will be cleared live on the following cable outlets:
                Indiana: Bright House (Indianapolis - ch 81), Comcast (Ft Wayne - ch 9; Indianapolis/Shelbyville - ch 81), Insight (Evansville - ch 2), Time Warner (Newburgh - ch 23; Terre Haute - ch 13) and WOW (Evansville - ch 7)
                Iowa: Mediacom (statewide - ch 22)
                Kansas: Cox (statewide - ch 22 or 76) and Knology (formerly Sunflower - ch 172)
                Missouri: Charter (St. Louis - ch 125), Comcast (KC - ch 261), Mediacom (Columbia, Jefferson City, Springfield - ch 22) and Time Warner (KC - ch 5)
                Nebraska: Cox (Omaha - ch 76)

The match will also be cleared live on:
                FOX College Sports
                ESPN3 (but only outside of the "MVC footprint", so no feed in IL, IN, IA, KS, MO, or NE)
                DirecTV (ch 658), Dish Network (ch 449), and AT&T U-Verse (ch 693)

Comcast SportsNet Chicago will show a tape delay telecast of the championship final at 2 p.m. (CST) on Nov. 27.

Comment

Some places mention the final match being shown on Fox Sports Midwest, but they are slated to carry the 6 pm Texas Tech/Baylor football game. the MVC volleyball final may be shown on "Fox Sports Midwest PLUS", but I have no clue the availability of that.

Comment

Congrats to Mary Elizabeth, Emily and Camri for 1st team All-Conference honors and to Elizabeth and Ashley 2nd team honors.

Somewhat interestingly Camri was selected as the defensive POY.

Mary Elizabeth is the 1st Shocker ever to garner four 1st teama All-Conference honors and only one of four players to ever to so.

Bre Payton of UNI, as expected won her 3rd consecutive Player of the Year award.

Comment

Quarterfinal #1 - #2 Shocks sweep #6 Indiana State; 25-16, 25-15 and 25-16

After breaking away from a 12-12 tie in Set 1 the Shocks were never really threatened. Good balance by the Shocks. Camiri 11 kills, Emily 9 kills, Elizabeth 8 kills and Sam 8 kills. Shocks out hit Indiana State .294 to .044. Sam with one of her better matches in a while. The newspaper article said her shoulder was feeling better. Let's hope that continues to be the case. Shocks with 7 aces (4 by Ashley) to only 1 for the Sycamores. Shocks also win the blocking game 9 to 3.

BTW the quality of the internet video stream was pretty good. Kudos to the MVC on that one.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Red Birds take set 1 25-23 over blue jays
                        First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Creighton ties it at 1-1 with a 25-23 win in Set 2. Illinois State held a 18-15 lead but could not hang on.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

BTW the quality of the internet video stream was pretty good. Kudos to the MVC on that one.
                            It was absolutely amazing, the video was a little choppy on my old laptop but that was the problem because my brother put it on his new Mac and it looked great, I don't think that I could have asked for anything better especially when you compare it to some of the feeds we've gotten from the NCAA sites we've played at. I tip my hat to you on this one MVC, might be the only one you get from me for a really long time.

Comment

Illinois State goes up 2-1 with a 25-16 win in Set 3.

Comment

#5 Illinois State takes down #4 Creighton 3-1; 25-23, 23-25, 25-16 and 25-15

That loss probably ends Creighton's season.

Today is Exhibit 1 as to why securing the #3 seed was very important this year.

Shocks have now accomplished two goals in this tournament. Picking up win #20 and advancing further than Creighton.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X