Home Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Court

Wow did we look like we were afraid of the bears last night. Too bad we can not protect our home court with confidence and passion to put fear in ANYONE taking the court against us in CKA. Standing there alone and serving the ball out is nothing but a lack of concentration giving away the set and giving the other team confidence.

We have a great program, great coaches, and wonderful student athletes. We will continue to hang more NCAA banners, but you gotta protect your home court. Confidence and concentration lead to intimidation and wins!
    GO SHOX!

I hear that. Tell that to the men's basketball squad who lost to SIU at home and cost them a chance at the NCAA's because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
      I hear that. Tell that to the men's basketball squad who lost to SIU at home and cost them a chance at the NCAA's because of it.
      Losing to MSU at home in volleyball is a far cry from losing to last year's SIU's MBB team at home. MSU is an NCAA Tournament quality team. That in and of itself will not keep us out of the NCAA Tournament.

My concern though is how we lost. We have lost before to MSU at home in VB in the last 7 years, but we went down battling good teams tooth and nail and not by folding up like a team of oragami figures. If we continue to play with the lack of confidence, effort and fire that we did last night there will be other stumbles this year that may very well keep us out of the NCAA Tournament.

We played a very tough non-conference schedule and beat several teams every bit as good as MSU both in and away from Koch Arena. After beating a very good OU team we won 3 consecutive easy matches against INS, ILS and Nebraska-Omaha. We were really only sharp in one of those 3 matches IMO. I'm wondering if those last three matches didn't lull this team into thinking this game is easy or this team can win just by showing up.

We can turn this around, but it will have to come from what the Ladies have inside them and we need some team leadership to pull that out. We will find out soon if we have those ingredients as UNI is up next in Cedar Falls next Friday.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        Losing to MSU at home in volleyball is a far cry from losing to last year's SIU's MBB team at home. MSU is an NCAA Tournament quality team. That in and of itself will not keep us out of the NCAA Tournament.

My concern though is how we lost. We have lost before to MSU at home in VB in the last 7 years, but we went down battling good teams tooth and nail and not by folding up like a team of oragami figures. If we continue to play with the lack of confidence, effort and fire that we did last night there will be other stumbles this year that may very well keep us out of the NCAA Tournament.

We played a very tough non-conference schedule and beat several teams every bit as good as MSU both in and away from Koch Arena. After beating a very good OU team we won 3 consecutive easy matches against INS, ILS and Nebraska-Omaha. We were really only sharp in one of those 3 matches IMO. I'm wondering if those last three matches didn't lull this team into thinking this game is easy or this team can win just by showing up.

We can turn this around, but it will have to come from what the Ladies have inside them and we need some team leadership to pull that out. We will find out soon if we have those ingredients as UNI is up next in Cedar Falls next Friday.
        Ditto. Well, except for the part about MBB - I have no clue there.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose

Ditto. Well, except for the part about MBB - I have no clue there.
          From Suellentrop's column in the Sunday Eagle:

Increase the heat — When the WSU volleyball team returns to practice Monday, coach Chris Lamb wants to see a team that moved past Friday's 3-0 loss to Missouri State.

"We weren't competing," Lamb said. "You've got to turn a switch on in August and it doesn't turn off until some time in December. We talked about not being a distracted athlete. There's a lot going on in their lives."

The Shockers didn't disagree with Lamb's assessment. Fixing things starts Monday, with a match at No. 14 Northern Iowa looming on Friday.

"We need to play and we need to compete," junior Emily Adney said. "Our Shocker culture, ever since I was here as a freshman, was yelling at each other in the gym to go hard and playing competitive and getting mad at the other side because you want to win. We need that back."

One issue might be that the Shockers don't scrimmage as much as in the past. Their squad size is smaller than most seasons.

"We can't really compete a lot at practice, because we don't have a lot of bodies and we're kind of banged up," Lamb said.

Senior setter Mary Elizabeth Hooper won't use that as an excuse.

"That's not why we lost," she said. "This is the same team that came back and beat Colorado State and beat (Oklahoma). I'm not putting it on that. It's on us."

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/09/25/203...#ixzz1YyCJQj8O

Comment

Well to add insult to injury Missouri State followed up their sweep of the Shockers with a 4-set loss at Stephen F. Austin who was 7-9 going into that match.

:banghead:

:-x

:roll:

:noidea:

Comment

Oklahoma just held their home court, taking out the Lady Horns of Texas in five on ESPNU.

Good match but OU was in control before losing sets 3 and 4 but pulled way finishing off UT 15-8.

Comment

Well to add insult to injury Missouri State followed up their sweep of the Shockers with a 4-set loss at Stephen F. Austin who was 7-9 going into that match.

:banghead:

:-x

:roll:

:noidea:

And yet another reason why I despise the Valley. MSU pours their heart and soul into beating us then lose inexplicably to a 7-9 awful program.

HATE. THE. VALLEY.

Comment

SFA did beat the Shocks back in 2005, but they have not been very good the past couple of years and no one will confuse the Southland Conference as a Mecca of college athletics. That was a bad loss for the Bears.

And yes MSU did put their heart and souls into the match with the Shocks, but the Shocks did not exactly put up a great deal of resistance either.

Not sure what to expect from the Lady Shocks this Friday against UNI in Cedar Falls. My first instinct is to expect a strong effort. Whether or not that actually happens and whether or not it will be enough on the road against a Top 15 team remains to be seen. But in sports hope is eternal.

So let's :goshocks:

Comment

I've been wrong on nearly every match this year and I think we're going to get toasted after putting up a good fight in the first game.

Who knows at this point?

Comment

I've been wrong on nearly every match this year and I think we're going to get toasted after putting up a good fight in the first game.
                      Hope not, but that could very well happen.

Who knows at this point?
                      I certainly don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

Who knows at this point?
                        Glad to hear you have been wrong on nearly every match and that you are predicting a toasting!! Maybe it will give the girls the edge they need.

We came back from a dismal performance against Northern Colorado and beat OU....pretty sure no one expected that.

I wish this game was at home, but NOTHING would be sweeter then beating UNI on their home court and END all their MVC streaks!!

We have to play excellent and get production from everyone on the floor, but I have faith in these girls. I am pretty sure Lambo worked them VERY hard this week in preparation for this match!

GO SHOX!!!! :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters:

Comment

Working...
                        X