A Tune-Up Then Back At It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tune-Up Then Back At It

Shocks have what should amount to a tune-up scrimmage on Tuesday against Nebraska-Omaha who is transitioning to D-1 and will be joining the Summit conference.

Trey Alberts and the UNO president have taken a lot of flack for this move as in doing so they are dropping football and wrestling and apparently there was no particular desire by UNO boosters to make such a move. Alberts told the wrestling coach they were dropping the program on the same day and following UNO winning the D-II national wrestling championship. In any case, I sensed a lot of consternation from UNO boosters over this move.

The Shocks should be able to play some of their younger players in this match and rest some of the frontliners. Unfortunately, two players that could benefit most from this, Chelsey Feekin and Hannah Eakin, have been sidelined with injuries and may not be available to play.

Then we have the always key matchup with Missouri State on Friday. No reason to expect that this year will be much different then the battle royales we have had with the Bears in recent years.

After MSU the Lady Shocks get a much needed full week to recoup and prepare for taking on UNI in Cedar Falls.

We need a big crowd Friday against MSU. Make your plans now.

:goshocks:

My wife and I will be there........loaded for bear.

Comment

Re: A Tune-Up Then Back At It

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

:good: :clap:

Quick work of the Mavs last night. The intro video was improved too. Crowds have been solid and some nice lady won 2 season basketball tickets.

Feekin got in at the end. Biggs played as well as did Jordan Hinkle whom I really like. She's got some fire that not all the girls show, and has the athleticism to match. I suspect she and Jackie and Chelsey will keep the momentum going next season.

Comment

The girlfriend and I will be there. I won't be able to be as rowdy as usual, but I'll do what I can!
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The team is going to have to pick it up for MSU. I thought the energy of the team and the fans as well was low. Some players just stood there and let balls drop when usually they would have at least gone for them. So glad to see younger players get a chance to get some playing time under their belt. You know they work as hard as everyone else and I am sure thrilled to be on the floor. A little confused as to why Lambo left Camri in while pulling others since he is resting her in practice so not to wear her down. No sense in wasting her for a match like last night. We need her to be healthy and make it to the end of the season. Lets get this crowd going for MSU!!!!

Comment

One of the negatives of the substitution limits is that you it can restrict what you would really like to do with your subs even when you have a big lead.

I think all VB coaches worry about subbing in too often and too early and then getting caught not being able to get front line players back in if needed. Seems like Lambo always leaves one of his stronger players on the floor when he subs out at the end of sets with big leads.

Comment

Re: A Tune-Up Then Back At It

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Originally posted by 1972Shocker

:good: :clap:

Quick work of the Mavs last night. The intro video was improved too. Crowds have been solid and some nice lady won 2 season basketball tickets.

Feekin got in at the end. Biggs played as well as did Jordan Hinkle whom I really like. She's got some fire that not all the girls show, and has the athleticism to match. I suspect she and Jackie and Chelsey will keep the momentum going next season.
              Lambo said in the post-game show that the competition between Hoop and Chelsey is much closrer than most fans probably realize. He has experimented with playing both in various approaches but the team just seems to perform better playing only one of them. This is Hoop's team and rightly so. When the reins are turned over to Chelsey next year I think she will flourish.

Comment

Originally posted by Volleyballfan
                The team is going to have to pick it up for MSU. I thought the energy of the team and the fans as well was low.
                Yeah, we weren't overly sharp last night but sometimes it is just hard to get up for this level of competition. Reminded me a little of the Indiana State match, which we followed up with a pretty sharp outing against Illinois State. Even the ball girls were off their game a little.

We did serve well. Camri was sharp. Ashley maybe had her best service match of the year. Hoop and Jackie always solid from the service line. Loved the little tear-drop that Jackie dropped in for an ace.

I was probably most dissappointed in our blocking and at times we seemed to just lose focus and made a few uncharacteristic mistakes.

I will give UNO credit in that they were pretty scrappy and, although they could not match up with the Shocks size-wise, they were pretty athletic and played with a lot of hustle.

Comment

I agree that this is Hooper's team. She has brought great success to this team over the years and Chelsey will also do so in the up and coming years. How blessed Lambo is to have two great setters while many schools don't even have one. My point about subbing was that this was a chance to rest Camri rather than pulling others and leaving her in.

Comment

Apparently Camri felt pretty good last night so maybe Lambo wanted to take the opportunity to get her some reps when her "mystery" injury was not bothering her.

Camri Zwiesler's mystery injury doesn't appear to hold her back, at least not on nights like Tuesday.

It's also good news Zwiesler feels good. She's been bothered by undiagnosed pain in her left shin and lower back.

"It kind of comes and goes, and today was a good day," Zwiesler said. "I'm crossing my fingers on that one. I'm hoping and praying for every other day to be like this one."
                    Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/09/21/202...#ixzz1YcNehADb

Comment

My only input on the Hooper, Chelsey comparison is when I have watched the team play, when Chelsey is in our middles shine, when Hooper is in we're pretty reliant on our left side. If Hooper can allow our middles to shine, like she did against Ill St., for the rest of the year we'll be good. However, I expect that to be more of an anomaly than an expectation based on the past years. I like them both and they're both very very talented, but everyone has a preference and I like good hard quicks out of the middle.

Comment

I have been very pleased with Chelsey's play. Fun to watch a setter KILL the ball. We need all the people we can get at the game tomorrow night. I believe we will win. If the girls play like they did against OU/Colorado State and the crowd is rocking we should be able to SWEEP. Wouldn't that be sweet ?? :yahoo:

Comment

I wish I could be there but I'm living far away for the next 8 or so months. :cry:
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                          X