Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks Host UConn (Friday @ 7:00 pm) and Temple (Sunday @ 1:00)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host UConn (Friday @ 7:00 pm) and Temple (Sunday @ 1:00)

Not sure when the last time the Shocks (9-11, 4-5) lost 3 straight, especially in conference play, but it probably has been a while. I suspect they have never lost 3 straight in 5-setters where they led 2-1 in each match after 3 sets. I'm sure it has been a while since they were under .500 at the halfway mark of conference play as well. But that is what the Shocks are trying to rebound from.

Normally, you would feel pretty good about be able to rebound against UConn (11-11, 3-6) and Temple (5-16, 2-7) but this year has been anything but normal especially when you take injuries into account. The injuries that I know of include Jenna Mak (head injury - out for the year), Brooke Smith (broken finger - planned to redshirt), Regan Stiawalt (ankle right before the season started), Emma Wright (broken thumb - may or may not return this year), Kali Eaken (knee ligament - done for year/career), Megan Taflinger (abdominal strain) and Giorgia Civita (shoudler strain).

Even without the injuires the Shocks were a young team in transition after losing some of the best players/leaders in program history. In some ways it is surprising they have been as comptetitive as they have been. On his Monday radio show Lambo mentioned he might switch back to the 6-2 after going to the 5-1 after Kali went down early against ECU 4 matches ago. I guess will see about that. I suppose the health status of his roster will have some impact on that decision. Hopefully, Giorgia and Megan are both good to go this weekend.

The only non-con opponent the Shocks and UConn have in common is West Vrigina. UConn was swept by West Virginia and the Shocks beat WVU in 4 sets. UConn did beat Houston 3-1 and they won a set against Cincinnati.and against UCF so they are not totally hapless. The did lose to ECU at home in 4 sets while the Shocks swept ECU at home. I guess it will just depend on which teams show up Friday for both the Huskers and the Shockers.

After tying for 2nd with SMU behind the Shockers last year and looking pretty good doing it Temple has found it even tougher going this year than the Shocks have. Temple did play a pretty decent non-con schedule. The Owls did beat Houston on the road but they also lost to ECU at home

I just don't think this Shocker team can take any opponent for granted this year.

Lambo also mentioned at the end of his radio show that he is to some extent now playing with a focus on the future. Hopefully, the ladies will come out playing hard and having fun.

Shocker Match Notes and Links

:wsu_posters:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 24, 2018, 07:04 PM.

I'm at Atlanta's International Airport right now waiting for my 3 pm flight back to Wichita. UCONN women will be joining me. I'll try to get in their heads and distract them. They'll be thinking, "man, I wonder if all Wichita men are as good lookin' as this guy".

Comment

QDOBA Opens on Friday in Koch Arena

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/10/...och-arena.aspx

Comment

RPIs going into this weekend's matches -

9 - UCF
      27 - Cincinnati
      41 - Shockers
      51 - Tulsa

Comment

2 more injuries. Brooke and Chase both out with concussions sustained in practice.

Comment

Going with the 6-2 tonight.

Comment

Shocks take Set 1 25-17 despite being out of sync in the middle.

Comment

Shocks with another mostly solid set win 25-19 to go up 2-0. Pretty balanced scoring for the Shocks. Megan looking good. She I'd looking very good on her back row attacks

Comment

Qdoba has got the concession stand pricing down.

Comment

Shockers sweep 17, 19 and 20

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    ... being out of sync in the middle.
                    I recall only a kill by Abby late in third set that was a nice, smooth quick set and kill from a middle. Alex also had a kill from the middle somewhere in there, but it wasn't the normal quick and may have been out-of-system.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                      I recall only a kill by Abby late in third set that was a nice, smooth quick set and kill from a middle. Alex also had a kill from the middle somewhere in there, but it wasn't the normal quick and may have been out-of-system.
                      With the injuries we were basically left with two slide hitting middles and no quick hitting middles. Abby did her best but struggled with the timing on the quicks.

All things considered I thought the Shocks played well.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                        flyingMoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Two slide hitting and no quick-hitting - good point.

Other Friday Matches

Houston 2!!-3 UCF

Cincinnati 3-1 Memphis

Temple 0-3 Tulsa

ECU 1-3 Tulane

SMU 2-3 USF

UCF remains undefeated with one loss for Cincinnati. Tulsa has three losses and Tulane has four with the Shockers one of three teams with five losses.

Comment

Tabitha and Alex may have had their best common match of the season. Tabitha was 7-0-21 = .333 and tied Giorgia with a match high 14 digs. It appears to me that Tabitha has made very good progress with her digging and passing. In addition, Tabitha did a good job getting all her serves in play something she has struggled a bit with this season. Alex added a 7-0-16 = .438 attack line and looked much better than she has recently and she was ripping the ball pretty hard. Alex also added 3 block assists. Bottom line it was about as clean as these two ladies have played in the same match this year.

Megan T had a very solid 11-3-33 = .242 attack line that included several back row kills. Megan also contributed 2 service aces against only 1 service error.

Abby was a decent 4-0-7 despite the difficulty in timing up the quicks. Regan also chipped in with a solid 4-1-8 = .375 effort.

Overall the Shocks only had 7 attack errors in 98 attacks for an excellent 7.1% with a decent 38.8% kill rate. The Shocks also had a good 4 aces to 4 service errors ratio and also outblocked UConn 9-4, not a very common occurrence this year. Giorgia had no service aces but she consistently dropped her tear drip serve just over the net all match long.

The Shocks had a few spells here and there where they stumbled a bit but overall they played very clean volleyball tonight.

Giorgia's left shoulder still bothering her and she doesn't have full motion at this point and she is positioning herself in a way to try to minimize stressing that shoulder as much as possible.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We were fortunate that UConn stopped several of their runs by themselves.

Markis, Dexter, Ricky and Erik hanging around behind Lambo and Mike during the post-game interview.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 26, 2018, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Rod, Mo, and Jamie were also there.
                      Working...
                      X