Drake vs Utah State (N) - Utah State Sweeps Drake
    Missouri State vs SMU (N) - Missouri State Seeps SMU
    Creighton at Texas A&M - TAM Over Creighton 3-1
    Missouri State at Oklahoma - OU Over Missouri State 3-1
    Wichita State at Hawaii - Hawaii 3, Shockers 1

Monday, August 29th
    Marquette at Northern Iowa - UNI with the sweep 18, 13, 24

Tuesday, August 30th
    Creighton at Kansas State (although K-State picked to finish 8th out of 9 teams this year in the Big XII) - Creighton loses in 5 to K-State

Late Addition:

I have decided to add the Wichita State - San Francisco game to this early list. Based on their storng play gains Hawaii and Arizona in Hawaii they would seem to be on par with SMU, Marquette and K-State at this point. It definitely has become a big match for the Shockers at this point.

Sunday, August 28th:
    Wichita State vs San Francisco - Shocks in 5. Scores were 21-25, 25-19. 13-25, 27-25 and 15-8 in a tough match.

The MVC really did not take advantage of any opportunities. The wins they did have were matches you would expect them to win. Thank goodness the Shocks rallied to pull out the win over USF.

Wow, this thread just made me realize they'll be a Nebraska vs Penn State match twice a year...the Big 10 just became an even bigger volleyball power while the Big 12 lost one of their top 2 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
      Wow, this thread just made me realize they'll be a Nebraska vs Penn State match twice a year...the Big 10 just became an even bigger volleyball power while the Big 12 lost one of their top 2 teams.
      The same thought crossed my mind when I was looking at where K-State was picked in the Big ?. K-State lost 4 matches with Nebraska and CU leaving the Big ? as did the remaining 9 Big ? teams that play VB. I guess Okie State doesn't field a VB team.

Comment

Results From Friday, August 26th:

Creighton squeezes by Texas-San Antonio in College Station this morning in its season opener. Scores were 25-15, 25-19, 25-27, 16-25 and 16-14.
        CU scored the final 4 points of the match.

UTSA was 22-12 and were an NCAA Tournament team last year. They returned 9 letter winners so they could be a pretty solid team.

Texas A&M swept Creighton in the afternoon match.

Evansville won twice today in Greensboro, NC. 3-0 over North Carolina A&T and 3-1 over Eest Tennessee State.

Indiana State cruised to a sweep over a weak Chicago State team and followed that up with a another easy sweep of Eastern Illinois.

Drake survives 25-22, 19-25, 25-23 and 25-23 at Southern Utah in its opener.

Missouri State wins 3-1 over a scrappy ORU team in Norman.

Northern Iowas sweeps Ooey-Pooey in DeKalb at the Northern Illinois Tournament.

Southern Illinois comes back from a 6-10 deficit to eek out a 17-15 5th set win at Mississippi State.

Bradley wins over Nebraska-Omaha 3-1.

Illinois State loses in 5 sets to Utah Valley. Ugh!

The MVC went 13-3 on Saturday but with a couple of exceptions the level of competition was not particulary notable. No marquis wins and perhaps a bad loss by ILS to Utah Valley,. Creighton's 3-2 win over UTSA may have been the best win of the day.

Comment

UNI sweeps IUPUI at NIU (BYOB ASAP, SVP. :D ), set scores of 25-16, 25-19, 25-23.

Comment

MVC Results For Saturday, August 27th:

Drake swept by Utah State and also loses in 5 to Boise State.

SIU sweeps SE Louisiana but loses in 5 to Tennessee-Martin.

Bradley with a 2nd sweep of Nebraska-Omaha but the Braves get swept by Illinois-Chicago.

Illinois State loses in 5 to Northern Arizona but picks up a win with a sweep over Cal State-Bakersfield.

Creighton fell to Texas A&M 1-3 in its only match of the day.

Evansville swept both Coastal Carolina and UNC-Greensboro today.

Indiana State loses in 5 to Miami-Ohio and swept Coppin State in the evening game in Terre Haute.

Missouri State with a nice sweep of SMU but falls to OU in 4 sets in Norman. The Bears played well though and gave OU a tough match.

UNI wins 3-1 over Cincinatti and sweeps a scrappy Northern Illinois team.

Shocks fall to Hawaii in 4 sets in front of 8,000 Rainbow fans.

MVC is a very so-so 9-9 today. 22-12 on the season.

MVC moves to 23-12 with their win over USF on Sunday.

Comment

Future Shocker opponent Louisville jumped ahead of Georgia Tech with dominatiing 25-12 and 25-15 wins in the 1st 2 sets then lose the next 3 sets to lose the match.

Comment

How bad is Savannah State.

Indiana State swept Savannah State 25-8, 25-5 and 25-8. No I did not drop a 1 from the Savannah State scores.

Lest you think INS is a juggernaut this year they followed up that win with 0-3 loss at the hands of Western Illinois and a 1-3 loss to SIU-Edwardsville.

All three of these matches were in Terre Haute.

I have a feeling this weekend did not do the Trees a whole lot of good in the RPI department.

Comment

UNI with a very nice performance over the past week, defeating Kansas 3-2, sweeping St. Louis, losing to #6 Minnesota in 5 sets and then sweeping #12 Iowa State.

UNI clearly the class of the Valley and you can pretty much pencil them into the NCAA Tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    UNI with a very nice performance over the past week, defeating Kansas 3-2, sweeping St. Louis, losing to #6 Minnesota in 5 sets and then sweeping #12 Iowa State.

UNI clearly the class of the Valley and you can pretty much pencil them into the NCAA Tourney.
                    really wish they could have pulled off a win against the Gophers. Unfortunately UNI had some players that I later learned were somewhat under the weather (not an excuse, but it does explain some things), and Minnesota happened to really be on their game for that match (as opposed to their match against Kansas earlier that day)

Much like the impression I've gotten from WSU, the Panthers sometimes seem really clicking, but at other times are not so crisp. I'm certain there will be some very competitive matches in MVC play (probably UNI's trip to Wichita, and/or the Shockers trip to CF)

Comment

Working...
                    X