Chris Lamb Named National Coach of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Lamb Named National Coach of the Year

I was mostly kidding when I posted that maybe they left Abbie and Emily off the All-American teams so they could make the case for Lambo as National Coach of the Year,

Not the AVCA that picks the All-American teams but National Coach of the Year as selected by Volleyball Magazine is still great recognition and very well deserved in my opinion.

Congratulations Chris. :yahoo:

Very nice, indeed.

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I was mostly kidding when I posted that maybe they left Abbie and Emily off the All-American teams so they could make the case for Lambo as National Coach of the Year,

Not the AVCA that picks the All-American teams but National Coach of the Year as selected by Volleyball Magazine is still great recognition and very well deserved in my opinion.

Congratulations Chris. :yahoo:
        Whoa!
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I for one am glad he was planted here.

Comment

Speaking of All-Americans, are there any VB in the rafters?

if I’m not mistaken, Abbie was at least HM all 4 years. Seems time to add a VB banner.

Comment

• Shock Top
              Shock Top commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d be down.

Volleyball is a terrific sport and the University of Wichita has been blessed with a terrific program.

HCCL will be up there, at the very least.

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              Is she the one that joined the ChicKUnHicks after she graduated?

T

...:cool:

Here is a list of our AVCA Volleyball All-Americans:

2004 - Sara Younes (hm)
            2007 - Sara Lungren (hm)
            2008 - Kelly Broussard (hm), Emily Stockman (hm)
            2009 - Emily Stockman (hm)
            2012 - Emily Adney (hm), Chelsey Feekin (hm)
            2013 - Chelsey Feekin (3rd team), Ashley Andrade (hm)
            2014 - Abbie Lehman (hm)
            2015 - Abbie Lehman (hm), Katie Reilly (hm)
            2016 - Abbie Lehman (hm), Jody Larson (hm
            2017 - Tabitha Brown (hm)

Keep in mind that the AVCA has a lot of players on their All-American teams. In 2017, for example, the AVCA had 14 players on each of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams plus 77 honorable mentions which somewhat dilutes the value of All-American honors, especially honorable mention honors.

Plus where does that leave a player like Emily Hiebert, who Lambo said is arguably the best volleyball player, let alone setter, that he has had at Wichita State.

Shocker women's basketball, in contrast to volleyball, has exactly 1 All-American. Alex Harden received AP honorable mention honors in 2014-15. Their were 5 players each on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams and about 40 honorable mentions.

Is some kind of All-American honor regardless of how obscure or how much it is diluted by large numbers like volleyball the best cirtieria for making this decision? I'm not convinced it is. If it is to be used as perhaps one criteria to consider that is fine but honorable mention honors probably should not be considered.

Men's basketball is the foundation of Wichita State athletics. I think it's superstars should be perhaps accorded a special place in the rafters. I think all who are now in the rafters deserve to be there although perhaps Cliff Levingston's inclusion is arguably borderline. I think Ron and Fred deserve to be there eventually. As does Gregg Marshall and Chris Lamb and perhaps even Jim Schaus. I think we can recognize greatness when we see it and that is not necessarily dependent on receiving some kind of All-American recongition.

So what is greatness. I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder but most recognize it when they see. The Roundhouse is the hosue Ralph and Cleo built. Dave The Rave carried the Shockers to new heights when the Valley was the best basketball conference in the country. Antoine and X were dominating players who could take over a game in intimidating fashion. Ron and Fred were winners who won with extreme mental toughness and outstanding leadership. Jim Schaus resurrected Shocker athletics from the depression of the 1990's. I think 3G's and Lambo's accomplishments speak for themselves. And, of course, something special still needs to be done recognize 10 for his career accomplishments at the helm of Shocker baseball although that does not necessarily have to done at Koch Arena. Maybe some of Gene's ex-players should do what Dave The Rave's teammates have done and raise the money for a stature of Gene at Eck Stadium

Personally, I think the Shocker Hall of Fame and things like the Ring of Honor for Shocker baseball are adequate recognition for all our other sports. But whenever we do have a very, very special athlete, coach or administrator who does reach the level of greatness that can be addressed.

Perhaps some posters or banners (maybe a print of the player in action) for basketball and volleyball All-Americans could be displayed around the concourse. Or a digital display for each sport that rotates through images of these players in action.

Just some random thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 22, 2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Lambo received the Gene Stephenson Coach of the Year award at the annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet which, of course, is primarily to announce the Johnny Bench Catcher of the Year award which went to Joey Bart of Georgia Tech. Bart was picked #2 in the MLB draft by San Francisco which probably was even more exciting for Lambo than his own award,

Darron Boatright‏ @DBoatright25
              So much is said in this photo.....Class, Humility, Commitment, Leadership, Integrity, Self Confidence.........So Proud

10:19 PM - 28 Jun 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                Speaking of All-Americans, are there any VB in the rafters?

if I’m not mistaken, Abbie was at least HM all 4 years. Seems time to add a VB banner.

I'm not sure if number of HM All-American selections should be the qualifier for a rafter spot. I believe a HOF is a good chance. I don't believe that Emily has any All -American credentials but surely will be in someday. And Jody had a fantastic two year run and All-American credentials. The two in a row tourney MVP's was a first for a Shocker, don't know if that is enough to get her in. This group won back to back tourney titles (a first for a Shocker team) and won them both on the road ( the first two were won at Koch). This threesome along with their teammates is probably my favorite team I have watched at Koch!

Comment

Working...
                X