2017 AVCA All-America Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 AVCA All-America Teams

Congratulations to Tabitha Brown on her 2017 AVCA Honorable Mention honors.

I certainly don't begrudge Tabitha being so honored but am I the only one a bitten taken aback that Abbie Lehman and Emily Hiebert did not make the cut for any AVCA All-American recognition? At best Tabitha was the 3rd best player on this year's Shocker team IMHO and by the end of the year maybe 4th best. But my opinion and 25 cents will get you 25 cents.

Perhaps moving from the Midwest Region to the North Region was an issue. Also I have to think that perhaps these selections may be somewhat position related but I don't know that for a fact. Abbie was 1st team All-North Region, Emily and Tabitha were North Region honorable mentions. Yet only Tabitha received any recongition on the All-American team.

Might have to ask Lambo about this.
    WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State volleyball student-athlete Tabitha Brown has been named an honorable mention All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association.    
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 13, 2017, 04:39 PM.

Sorry, but Melissa Stokes was not doing her job. She knows better than this.

But like you said, there may be stipulations about one thing and another that impacted the result.

Comment

I counted 3 from UNI and 2 from MSU. I can tell some top schools got 5-7 throughout the list, but one would think that a top 16 seed would get more than 1.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        I counted 3 from UNI and 2 from MSU. I can tell some top schools got 5-7 throughout the list, but one would think that a top 16 seed would get more than 1.
        Maybe they are setting the stage for Lambo to be named National Coach of the Year. He did so much with so little.

Of course, the chances of this actually occurring are Slim and None and, yes, Slim has left the buidling.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          I counted 3 from UNI and 2 from MSU.
          That too.

I agree. The Good Doctor needs to ask Lambo about this and report back.

I'll Message him.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that would be interesting to hear.  I see Lambo on occassion at Shocker Men's Basketball games but he is not always easy to corner.  Otherwise, it might be next fall at VB101 Dinner before I could ask him and then memory becomes an issue.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          The Good Doctor needs to ask Lambo about this and report back.

I'll Message him.
          He is as dumbfounded as the rest of us. No info from Lambo though.

Comment

Sorry guys I've been a little out of it. Again. I'll make some inquiries.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Congratulations to Tabitha Brown on her 2017 AVCA Honorable Mention honors.

I certainly don't begrudge Tabitha being so honored but am I the only one a bitten taken aback that Abbie Lehman and Emily Hiebert did not make the cut for any AVCA All-American recognition? At best Tabitha was the 3rd best player on this year's Shocker team IMHO and by the end of the year maybe 4th best. But my opinion and 25 cents will get you 25 cents.

Perhaps moving from the Midwest Region to the North Region was an issue. Also I have to think that perhaps these selections may be somewhat position related but I don't know that for a fact. Abbie was 1st team All-North Region, Emily and Tabitha were North Region honorable mentions. Yet only Tabitha received any recongition on the All-American team.

Might have to ask Lambo about this.
              I agree 72 but also have a few thoughts to add. I have always been surprised that Abbie was a HM all-american her first two years, no disrespect but there are a lot of good ones out there. The last two years though would be no brainers. As for Emily this is very sad to see. Thought Emily was our MVP all year, improved her defense and played with a sense of confidence this year. Losing her would have had a major effect on the rest of our hitters, losing one of our hitters and Emily would have worked them into the offense. Hope for great things for all of them in the future.

Heard Emily and Abbie on Lutz' show talking about possibly playing professionally overseas with Jody Larson...some team needs to give them one more chance to play together!
              Last edited by boyshocker; December 14, 2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

A few things...

Why does each "team" have 14 players? Last time I checked, volleyball teams have 6 starters plus a libero. For all the crap that young people get about "everyone getting a medal," I would like to point out that it is the older generations that make that happen. But I digress.

Second, there are 14 players on each of the three teams plus 77 honorable mentions. So...there are 119 volleyball players in the country better than our two Newton girls? Yeah, that's a load of crap.
                78-65

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These aren't volleyball teams. They are All-American Honors arranged as 1st Team, 2nd Team and 3rd Team. And as much as I agree with your last sentiment I am pretty sure that the 42 playes on the All-American "Teams" are no doubt hellaciouis volleyball players and to imply they are getting some kind of atta girl award is not fair to them IMO. There are probably around 5,000 to 6,000 young ladies playing D-1 volleball. If you are honored as one of the top 1% of the highest level of collegiate volleyball I don't see that as a participation award in any way, shape or form. Not that I don't share your dislike of particpation awards but that doesn't seem to me to apply here.

Abbie Lehman and Tabitha Brown both picked up All-American honorable mention honors in the teams selected by Volleyball magazine and by Prep Volleyball.

Congratulations to Abbie and Tabitha. I think Abbie is probably heading to the Shocker Hall of Fame in the future and hopefully the All-America honors received by Tabitha this year will motivate her to finish of her career next year with a bang..

I am a little disappointed and perhaps also a bit surprised that Emily Hiebert did not receive any All-American honors during her stellar career. When you here the comments opposing coaches make about her you would think it would be a no brainer. I know there are a lot of very good setters around the country and perhaps it's just a numbers thing. Emily may be one of those players you have to see play to realize all the different things she does to help her team win. Or perhaps I should say to lead her team to win.

Nevertheless, Emily is no doubt also heading to the Shocker Hall of Fame in the future and I hope her and Emily go in at the same time. It would only by fitting.

WICHITA, Kan. – Two Wichita State volleyball student-athletes have been named All-Americans by Volleyball Magazine and Prep Volleyball. Senior middle blocker Abbie Lehman and junior outside hitter Tabitha Brown were both named honorable mention selections in the two publications.

Comment

Working...
                X