Rivals Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivals Database

How long has this database been around? The number of kids associated with WSU seems to indicate a lot of hard recruiting work by the staff. Or, are the numbers comparable with previous staffs?
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

I don't know when Rivals started their database. You can bring up information starting from 2002. There's a significantly higher number of recruits listed in the Marshall years compared to MT's.
    In the fast lane

Comment

I suspect that has less to do with the coaching staffs and more to do with the comprehensiveness of the Rivals staff to get the information and put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        I suspect that has less to do with the coaching staffs and more to do with the comprehensiveness of the Rivals staff to get the information and put it in.
        Marshall has seemed to target more higher profile types than Turgeon did. Maybe it's that we've opened up the South and more names have popped up there opposed to some of the places that Turgeon/staff focused.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I've talked to people that make the annual March trip to Hutchinson. They tell me that while a lot of head coaches make cameo appearances, Gregg and his staff has been there religously taking notes and talking to people. It appears he puts a lot of effort making sure no stone is unturned.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash
            I've talked to people that make the annual March trip to Hutchinson. They tell me that while a lot of head coaches make cameo appearances, Gregg and his staff has been there religously taking notes and talking to people. It appears he puts a lot of effort making sure no stone is unturned.
            I just hope he tones it down on how many JUCOs he brings in.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I'd prefer HS players as well, but as uneven as our classes are right now, we better get used to juco kids for the immediate future, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                What he has done the past two years is perfect. Quality depth problems at PG and SF, brought in two solid jucos. A gaping hole at PF next year and he's bringing in arguably the best juco PF in the country.

What will be interesting is to see what he does next year in regards to a center.

Comment

What he has done the past two years is perfect. Quality depth problems at PG and SF, brought in two solid jucos. A gaping hole at PF next year and he's bringing in arguably the best juco PF in the country.

What will be interesting is to see what he does next year in regards to a center.
                  I agree. I just hope to see more FR coming in as they're crucial to a healthy program. A JUCO PG was a must for this past class. I'm not sure if a JUCO PF was a must for this coming class but I'm not complaining.

I would like to see the class of '12 (five 'ships) include 4 FR. One at C, one at PG and one at SF. Outside of that, use the other two 'ships at whatever position. Could probably use another guard as well in this group.

SR - Ehimen (C), Williams (CG), Hall (PF)
                  JR - Richardson (G/F), Hamilton (PF)
                  SO - Wessel (G/F), Cotton (CG), White (PF)
                  FR - C, PG, SF, SG

Maybe a JUCO to fill in a spot if needed. Some will depend on the development of Hamilton and White. Hall may be able to play some C if need be in a rotation. Maybe you do look at another JUCO big for that class.

That year I'd expect Ehimen to be getting plenty of minutes down low. Hall as well and Williams running the show. The three SRs should play quite a few minutes.

Richardson and Hamilton are wild cards right now. They show some potential but we haven't seen enough yet to know how much they'll be able to help.

Most of us expect White to play a decent amount next year and by his SO year probably being an important contributor. The other two are tougher because of the depth their FR year. But I have a feeling Wessel will be seeing plenty of court time. Cotton will hopefully be able to contribute solid minutes.

That's not comforting depth wise, but I think it could work. Some will depend on how some of these guys do next year. But finding a couple of FR that can at least contribute is crucial. Perry Ellis anyone? :D

I don't want us to be in a spot where we're constantly having to bring in JUCO players.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

As Royal points out it's pretty hard to argue against the juco players that have been brought in.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Build the program with the high schools. Don't be afraid to use the jucos and transfers. 80-81, Randy, Jay Jackson, Tony Martin and Mike Jones. 05-06 Kyle Wilson, Karon Bradley and Ryan Martin. All contributors. I don't think Gregg will shy away from taking anyone from any level if he thinks they will help the program. I do agree that class balance is always preferable.

Comment

I agree. I just hope to see more FR coming in as they're crucial to a healthy program. A JUCO PG was a must for this past class. I'm not sure if a JUCO PF was a must for this coming class but I'm not complaining.

I would like to see the class of '12 (five 'ships) include 4 FR. One at C, one at PG and one at SF. Outside of that, use the other two 'ships at whatever position. Could probably use another guard as well in this group.

SR - Ehimen (C), Williams (CG), Hall (PF)
                        JR - Richardson (G/F), Hamilton (PF)
                        SO - Wessel (G/F), Cotton (CG), White (PF)
                        FR - C, PG, SF, SG

Maybe a JUCO to fill in a spot if needed. Some will depend on the development of Hamilton and White. Hall may be able to play some C if need be in a rotation. Maybe you do look at another JUCO big for that class.

That year I'd expect Ehimen to be getting plenty of minutes down low. Hall as well and Williams running the show. The three SRs should play quite a few minutes.

Richardson and Hamilton are wild cards right now. They show some potential but we haven't seen enough yet to know how much they'll be able to help.

Most of us expect White to play a decent amount next year and by his SO year probably being an important contributor. The other two are tougher because of the depth their FR year. But I have a feeling Wessel will be seeing plenty of court time. Cotton will hopefully be able to contribute solid minutes.

That's not comforting depth wise, but I think it could work. Some will depend on how some of these guys do next year. But finding a couple of FR that can at least contribute is crucial. Perry Ellis anyone? :D

I don't want us to be in a spot where we're constantly having to bring in JUCO players.
                        For our 2012 class how about Ellis PF, Thurman SF, Nicholson PG, and Gales C? All Wichita class...would that suffice?

Comment

Nichols and Gaels are considered boarderline D-I talent right now, but there is plenty of time for them to improve. I would love for them to be Shockers, but they have to produce too. If they're worthy, I want them, but an early commit from either of them isn't probably going to happen unless it is part of a package deal.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Logically it would seem that the staff would have a real good handle on local talent. Who's a definite, who's a maybe and who's a high school star only. It's always in the interest of the program to recruit locally. I think we are missing something when most of the players return home after graduating and you never, or rarely, see them again. I would rather see former players in the stands cheering on future teams. Having said that, I don't expect Gregg to take kids just because they are local. They need to be able to play at this level and fill his needs.

By the way, I heard Gregg offered a scholarship to Kellen after the game last night.

Comment

Logically it would seem that the staff would have a real good handle on local talent. Who's a definite, who's a maybe and who's a high school star only. It's always in the interest of the program to recruit locally. I think we are missing something when most of the players return home after graduating and you never, or rarely, see them again. I would rather see former players in the stands cheering on future teams. Having said that, I don't expect Gregg to take kids just because they are local. They need to be able to play at this level and fill his needs.

By the way, I heard Gregg offered a scholarship to Kellen after the game last night.
                              Who is Kellen?
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                              X