A possibility...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possibility...

For the second time my hunches have me looking at Kirkwood CC in Rapid City. If we need a Spring recruit, keep Brennan Cougill in mind. He is the 6-9 wide body at Iowa last year. He transferred to Kirkwood after being ruled academically ineligible. When he transferred he said he would like to return to Iowa.
    In the fast lane

How'd that first hunch work out for ya?
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

It would be nice to bring in another experienced big man.

Comment

Yes, it would, but I think Hall and White will get plenty of court time right out of the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee
          How'd that first hunch work out for ya?
          Just like the 2nd. We shall see.
          In the fast lane

Comment

I know it's still early in this season, but I just can't fend off the thought of players not returning next year that would leave more room for active recruiting yet this year. I think defections have marked this program every year for the past six or seven seasons at least.

2010 - Kenny Manigault
            2009 - Reggie Chamberlain/AJ Hawkins
            2008 - Gal Mekel/Wendell Preadom/Abry Butler
            2007 - Sean Ogirri/Ryan Bradley
            2006 - Jered Young
            2005 - Calvin Walls/Kurt Bangle/Adam Liberty

Recent history would suggest a player or two might not want to be a Shocker, or not to be asked back after this season. Lack of playing time and/or dissention play a big role. I'm not bringing this up to start rumors...just sayin!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC
              I know it's still early in this season, but I just can't fend off the thought of players not returning next year that would leave more room for active recruiting yet this year. I think defections have marked this program every year for the past six or seven seasons at least.

2010 - Kenny Manigault
              2006 - Jered Young

Recent history would suggest a player or two might not want to be a Shocker, or not to be asked back after this season. Lack of playing time and/or dissention play a big role. I'm not bringing this up to start rumors...just sayin!!!
              Wouldn't most of those fall into the category of "Coach's Choice" and not a player leaving due to dissention or lack of PT.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk

2010 - Kenny Manigault
                2006 - Jered Young

Wouldn't most of those fall into the category of "Coach's Choice" and not a player leaving due to dissention or lack of PT.
                I don't have an "inside" perspective, so I couldn't 100% answer that accurately, but I would say about half-and-half.

Comment

2010 - Kenny Manigault
                  2006 - Jered Young

I think most of them fall into one of several categories, which include "can't play" and "significant hole in game."
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio

2010 - Kenny Manigault
                    2006 - Jered Young

I think most of them fall into one of several categories, which include "can't play" and "significant hole in game."
                    Sorry, RDR, but those are sub-categories of Coaches Choice. :lol:

Comment

Re: A possibility...

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                      For the second time my hunches have me looking at Kirkwood CC in Rapid City. If we need a Spring recruit, keep Brennan Cougill in mind. He is the 6-9 wide body at Iowa last year. He transferred to Kirkwood after being ruled academically ineligible. When he transferred he said he would like to return to Iowa.
                      Interesting, Trop.

The word I heard was that Iowa's new coach wasn't that fond of Cougill's game even before the grade issue presented itself. The reported concern is that Cougill is a bit too deliberate (that's P.C. for "slow") for the style that the former Siena coach was trying to implement. Even though he's a native Iowan, the scuttlebutt is that he may not be welcome back even if he can get his academics in order. Would the same issue be present in Marshall's offense?

Comment

Re: A possibility...

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                        Interesting, Trop.

The word I heard was that Iowa's new coach wasn't that fond of Cougill's game even before the grade issue presented itself. The reported concern is that Cougill is a bit too deliberate (that's P.C. for "slow") for the style that the former Siena coach was trying to implement. Even though he's a native Iowan, the scuttlebutt is that he may not be welcome back even if he can get his academics in order. Would the same issue be present in Marshall's offense?
                        We already have one deliberate, "slow," player in Garrett Stutz. That is plenty.

Comment

Just by his body type I assume he would be a different type of frontline player than we now have. I just know there is contact, and probably in person between the two coaching staffs. I don't see others at that juco who would interest the Shockers.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

I haven't seen the guy play but I doubt if his game is real similar to Garrett's. With his build he has to have upper body strength. He would also take up more than his fair share of space. But again, I'm not sure we have interest.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

I haven't seen the guy play but I doubt if his game is real similar to Garrett's. With his build he has to have upper body strength. He would also take up more than his fair share of space. But again, I'm not sure we have interest.
                              You might have seen him play and didn't know it Trop...in last year's pounding of Iowa, Cougill started against WSU logging 32 minutes, scoring 11 points, going 4-6 from the field, 1-3 from 3, 2-2 from the line, with 4 rebounds. Also, FYI he was Mr. Basketball in Iowa as a HS senior.

Comment

Working...
                              X