Just for Fun: Carter vs Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for Fun: Carter vs Smith

Neither may ever step on the court at WSU, but given the recent talk about our PG situation, I thought this might be interesting.

Tony Smith - 6'5" So PG from Seward Co

Marquise Carter - 6'4" So PG from Three Rivers

Smith: 15.7 ppg, .483 FG%, .360 3pt%(40-111), .583 FT% (56-96)

Carter: 18.0 ppg, .429 FG%, .386 3pt%(17-44), .851 FT% (126-148)

Smith: 5.0 rpg, 7.0 assists pg, 3.4 TOpg, 2.8 steals pg

Carter: 4.2 rpg, 5.7 assists pg, 3.8 TOpg, 1.3 steals pg

Smith is the second leading scorer on his team (just barely not first) with 5 other teammates in double figures. No doubt Smith can score and his overall FG% is very good. His FT% is very concerning, but something that can normally be addressed. Smith seems to have an advantage in the assists, assists/TO ratio, and steals. May be more of a "pass first" PG.

Carter is the leading scorer on his team by almost 5ppg with 3 (almost 4) others in double figures. Carter can definitely score who appears to preferrably take it to the hole (and get to the line) over shooting 3s, eventhough his 3pt% is very good. His FT% is great, but his 2pt% is only .438% to Smith's .588%. Having the offensive point production not center around him could be a problem.

Discussion?

With the post play that we have, it will make it hard for teams to give quick help defense if Carter attacks the basket. While both of these guys could be really good for us, I like the idea of Carter getting to the rim and drawing fouls or laying the ball off for layups by our bigs.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

On paper, they both seem appealing. However, I give the edge to Carter for two reasons. Hannah has me spoiled in that he predominatly sinks his freebies. Thus, I prefer the .851 of Carters. Next, by now Carter is already learning how to best utilize the skills of EO who will be a Shocker next Season. I have seen EO scrimmage several times. Offensively, if he can receive the rock in strategic spots, he can help us as he continues to develop his skills. However, I am very offensive minded and Coach Marshall really scrutinizes and stresses defense. I'm not sure how these 2 players compare defensively.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

i know its not the deciding factor, but Smith FT% worries me
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
          On paper, they both seem appealing. However, I give the edge to Carter for two reasons. Hannah has me spoiled in that he predominatly sinks his freebies. Thus, I prefer the .851 of Carters. Next, by now Carter is already learning how to best utilize the skills of EO who will be a Shocker next Season. I have seen EO scrimmage several times. Offensively, if he can receive the rock in strategic spots, he can help us as he continues to develop his skills. However, I am very offensive minded and Coach Marshall really scrutinizes and stresses defense. I'm not sure how these 2 players compare defensively.
          Good points FSF. See what I can dig up regarding their defensive skills.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
            i know its not the deciding factor, but Smith FT% worries me
            At less than 60%, it just could be the deciding factor.

Comment

I don't know anything about Smith, but I watched Carter last night and he's definately a pretty good player. I felt like he takes some bad shots and really doesn't always look to pass first. But it was mentioned that probably has more to do with the coach giving him the green light then it does with Carter just hogging the ball.

I saw some very hannah-esque moves and passes out of him last night. I think he would be a great fit for the Shox.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I like both of these guys, the free throws do concern me for Smith, but he could easily improve with some coaching. Also, I am wondering about Smith's speed at 6'5" if he could keep up with other PG's on defense. Defense and or offensive style(pass first, etc.) will most likely be the deciding factor I'm guessing.

Comment

If we have offered both then it will come down to who wants to be at WSU.
                  Sounds to me like either one could step in and contribuite immediately.
                  :wsu_posters:
                  "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                  which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Defense

I've never seen Carter play, but my impression from what I've read here is that he isn't very good defensively. To some extent that's a juco syndrome, but my recollection is that he also lacks the quicks to stay with a good PG -- which if true is not so easily cured.

Of course, Murry might be able to help out, because he has developed into an excellent defensive player. And Hannah, while much improved, still isn't great, so it might not be a real loss anyway.

Marcus Aurelius, what can you tell us?

Comment

Re: Defense

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                      I've never seen Carter play, but my impression from what I've read here is that he isn't very good defensively. To some extent that's a juco syndrome, but my recollection is that he also lacks the quicks to stay with a good PG -- which if true is not so easily cured.

Of course, Murry might be able to help out, because he has developed into an excellent defensive player. And Hannah, while much improved, still isn't great, so it might not be a real loss anyway.

Marcus Aurelius, what can you tell us?
                      I sent a PM to him right after I started the thread to let him know about the topic and to get a better insight.

Comment

Marquise is kind of a tough one to tab. He's not particularly quick, he's not overly strong. What he is, is physically efficient. He gets the most out of his physical tools with persistence, positioning, and utilizing angles. I like to describe him as "slithery".

He's not a "lock down" type defender, but he understands team defense, positioning and using the court's boundaries. He's also opportunistic, be it getting deflections or weak side rebounds. Yeah, he'd have his hands full with a Ty Lawson for example(who wouldn't?), but he's not likely to be a huge liability on defense.

I do consider Marquise to be a combi guard. He's been kind of a PG by necessity at TRCC and he's done a great job, mostly because he is strong with the ball. His redshirt year at TRCC, their starting PG, Bryan Sherrer, was also a "draw contact" guy. He was shorter, but much stronger than Marquise and an even better FT shooter(87.1%). He was incredible in the clutch too. They had a lot of success with Sherrer at the point, and I think they used him as a blueprint for Marquise. If Marquise had played that year, I think he could have been the ultimate sixth man, spelling the 1, 2, or 3 man. Essentially, I think he's more of a "player", who just happens to handle the ball well enough to play the point.

Addressing his FG%, he's almost always looking to create contact in the lane, so most of his shots are under duress. If he doesn't draw the foul, some of those shots are going to be less than ideal in nature. Still, the bottom line return is pretty desirable. Frankly, I'd like to see him shoot the three a lot more. He is pretty accurate from behind the arc and it might keep the defenders from backing off him as much.... On the other hand, he's good for a couple of inexplicable missed bunnies a game...... :roll:

I understand the concern over him being a shoot-first PG. It's hard to say how long it would take him to adapt to a distributor role. I know he has the tools to do it. When a friend and I saw him scrimmage with TRCC in the preseason of his redshirt year, we simply marveled at the deft touch he displayed on his passes. In transition, his passes always caught his teammates in full stride. In halfcourt, he always placed the ball where the shooter was readily in position to do his thing. It really was something to see. Therefore, I think it's just a matter of adapting to placing distribution ahead of scoring....

Comment

Thanks for replying marcus a.

Comment

Working...
                          X