Kevin Mays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Mays

Didn't know if we had any contact on this kid yet. He is only a sophmore but sounds pretty impressive and is related to current shocker Ramon Clemente. He transfered to St. Johns this year from His hometown Queens Sounds like a player. Just curious Here is article about him a team

Last week, the St. John's Northwestern Military Academy basketball team arrived in the state's WBCA Division 2 rankings for the first time, appearing at No. 14 with an undefeated record of 7-0. They celebrated their arrival with an 82-41 win over University School on Tuesday, a drubbing that took place before a light scattering of fans on the St. John's campus in Delafield.

I wrote a story about the Lancers after the game that appeared in the Lake Country Reporter and Kettle Moraine Index, profiling a squad that could eventually open some eyes when the postseason rolls around. But despite talent that could be considered among the best in the area -- not to mention the youngest -- the Lancers continue to have an uphill battle for two reasons. One is an absolutely loaded WIAA regional and sectional which would provide a challenge for most elite programs in any division. The other is a schedule that offers limited preparation for that test.

Sophomore Kevin Mays is perhaps the most impressive player I've seen in the area this year. He's only 6-3 but hauls in double-digit rebounds every game, the result of his fierceness underneath the basket and athleticism. His 31-point, 14-rebound performance against USM (the Journal-Sentinel box score said 29 points, but I think a tip-in was mis-attributed) included a one-handed breakaway dunk and at least six steals (though I wasn't keeping track). He lived in Queens, N.Y. last year and is spending his first basketball season in Wisconsin, which probably explains why he has gone unheralded on state-wide radar until recently.

Mays isn't the only weapon St. John's has. Senior Carlos Toussaint is a superb shooter who scored 25 in the win over USM, showing an ability to shoot in transition and hit from all spots on the floor. Freshman Isaiah Gray is a diminutive but skilled guard, and the team also starts another pair of sophomores in Devin Johnson and Chris McFarlane. Both showed they were unafraid to take the ball to the hoop. The talent is significant, and if they show well in the postseason, they could be on everyone's short list of top programs for the next two seasons.

Ramon calls him Peanut in one of his youtube masterpieces.
    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
      Ramon calls him Peanut in one of his youtube masterpieces.
      OK that is Ramon's nephew; I remember seeing that video.

Comment

I just seen on Ramon's Twitter page that his cousin was in town for game and was headed back to new york. also commented on if his cousin would sign with WSU after high school. sounds like there could be some interest

Comment

Knowing how much Ramon loves Wichita definitely helps :D
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Love Ramon. But 6'3 isn't that big and he is playing DII. I know Kevin is a sophomore, so will he grow more? Coy transferred from DI Arizona State and according to Marshall was surprised by the toughness of WSU's practice and play. So what makes us think a DII prospect is a good find. I just would like someone in the know to please explain to me why we might be interested. I am not being critical and there are those on this board that know a great deal more about recruiting than I do so I genuinely want to be educated here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
              Love Ramon. But 6'3 isn't that big and he is playing DII. I know Kevin is a sophomore, so will he grow more? Coy transferred from DI Arizona State and according to Marshall was surprised by the toughness of WSU's practice and play. So what makes us think a DII prospect is a good find. I just would like someone in the know to please explain to me why we might be interested. I am not being critical and there are those on this board that know a great deal more about recruiting than I do so I genuinely want to be educated here.
              It's not a college Shox21. It's a prep school. He puts up great numbers and if he's athletic enough to play on the perimeter should be someone we have an eye on.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have no idea if he is a player or not, but he is a high school sophomore, not a Juco sophomore. So there is probably more growth in him but I don't even know what his position is. We all know there are a few good players at small high schools.
                In the fast lane

Comment

If he grows 2-3 inches and develops a jump shot, he could make for a good small forward.

The description of his game reminds me not just of Ramon, but Jamar Howard.

Comment

Seems like we are interested in Kevin and so are Marquette, Minnesota, Arkansas and Michigan State. More than likely Wisconsin is also interested. Weber has watched him play and Mays as been on their campus on several occasions.

St. John's appears to be a real deal in basketball. They had a 4 star recently that went to Wisconsin and a couple of great players in the 70's. So we need not have concern about where he is playing.

He projects as a SG/SF. Don't expect a lot of growth in him. He plays inside now due to being on a short team and loves to dunk with his athleticism. It sounds like he is very skilled.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Kevin also plays football as a receiver. His raw skills are starting to attract the attention of Big 10 and Big 12 schools.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

Didn't hear much about Kevin this season until this. He is the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's player of the week.

"PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Kevin Mays, St. John's Northwestern: The Lancers have run off four straight victories, including two (Watertown Luther Prep and Racine St. Catherine's) over teams that were conference leaders and Mays is a big reason why. The 6-foot-3 guard is averaging 17.8 points per game during the winning streak and led St. John's in scoring the last three games."
                        In the fast lane

Comment

Offered by Northern Illinois.

In the fast lane

Comment

I haven't seen anything recently on his recruitment but he leading his team with 19 points and 12 rebounds a game.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

Kevin is at Maryland Eastern Shore.

He is playing well, and should help improve the atature of that team.

No word on why the interest from the Shockers disappeared, but image it had something to do with the scholarship sotuation.

Comment

Working...
                              X