'09 Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 Wish List

With the recently recieved news of KJ Manigault committing to the Shox it got me thinking. I love the whole recruiting thing and with what appears to be two more scholarships to give for the class of '09, who would I like to fill out that class.

My top choice would be Noel Johnson but it doens't look like that's really a possibility anymore.

I know we appear to have a number of guards, but we could go three guard anyway. I really like Lane Adams though. 6'4" SG out of OK.

To take the last spot I'd probably go with Jerome Hamilton. PF out of GA. I liked what I saw at the camp from him. High energy guy that competes. Needs a little offensive work but would be a presence.

After those two I'd put on my list the following:
    PF - JJ Richardson - Missouri City, TX
    PF - Augustine Rubit - Houston, TX
    PF - Ray Turner - Houston, TX

Those are probably my next 3 Forwards. I really think we need to bring in a big of some kind for next year. I've seen Richardson described as a CF before.

There are others that I'd be happy with as well I think, but those guys are probably at the top based off of the info and names I currently have available at the moment. I don't think we need another PG as we'll have 3 guys very capable and maybe a 4th who could play as well. A 2/3 wouldn't be a bad addition though, and that why I like Adams.

As far as other guards go:
    SG - Justin Clark - Independence, MO
    SG - Nate Hutcheson - Marion, IA
    SG - Daryell Taylor - Missouri City, TX

I may have missed or overlooked someone missing from my list at the moment but these are they guys I'm pretty much focused on more than others when it comes to what I'd really like to see.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I want EO in 2009.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

If Ehimen gets his papers out of Nigeria then he's at the top of the list obviously. But I'm not holding my breath when it comes to the Nigerian Gov't.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

my #1 priority would be a scoring forward with ability down low. gabe seems to be the glass eater. and can shoot it well. but can he score down low like durley?

i have no idea.

so i would want forward that has some low post moves and has good enough bball knowledge to catch the sweet passes and lobs that he'll be getting from our guards!
        veni, vidi, vici

Comment

If we don't have a scoring PF between Gabe (center as a Fr/So), Durley, and Ellis we are in trouble!

I want a 6-10 plus athlete! or a 6-7 SF. Maybe Gabe is that SF, but I think he will play mainly PF. I feel comfortable with our guards and forwards, whether Gabe and Aaron are SF or PF, I think we have a nice rotation there. I DON'T want JTD playing Center after this season.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
            If we don't have a scoring PF between Gabe (center as a Fr/So), Durley, and Ellis we are in trouble!

I want a 6-10 plus athlete! or a 6-7 SF. Maybe Gabe is that SF, but I think he will play mainly PF. I feel comfortable with our guards and forwards, whether Gabe and Aaron are SF or PF, I think we have a nice rotation there. I DON'T want JTD playing Center after this season.
            I don't want JTD playing center this season either, but I don't think the coaches have a choice now.

So with 2 open schollies left, I say no more guards. WSU has plenty of them now. And let's get an athletic 6'9" or 10" PF like you said. And a 6'7" stud from Atlanta rounds out my list.

Comment

We need to keep a scholie free for EO this spring. :D

scholie ==> a fat guy looking like a tarzan with extrem long hairs.
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scholie
                Actually, if EO were to come back for the spring semester, it would count against next year's scholarships, not this years, so the staff can fill his now with someone else and use say, Ramon's, on him for next year. At least that's what I believe happened with Jamar Howard.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                  Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scholie
                  Actually, if EO were to come back for the spring semester, it would count against next year's scholarships, not this years, so the staff can fill his now with someone else and use say, Ramon's, on him for next year. At least that's what I believe happened with Jamar Howard.
                  Thanks. I didn't know that.

Comment

I don't understand that one.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

I don't understand it either but pretty sure it does work out that way somehow. Howard was a grayshirt in which he paid for a semester and then got one in the spring when I guess they open up and are available.

I hear it happens in football quite a bit.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by wufan

Pretty much how I feel, although Ellis has yet to prove he can play with his back to the goal. His height is not the only factor in considering whether he can play the 4 instead of the 3.

I think we need a combo C/PF to fill EO's spot this year. I am not really worried about Defense, I think it will be there, but am more concerned with having the Offense power we will need. A sharp shooting SF would be nice.

Comment

I've watched two of KC Pump and Run games on the internet. Justin Clark is a player. Athletic, good shooter, can block shots and plays hard. I think we have a shot a him and if he wants to come to WSU, we won't turn him down. I hear what rrshock is saying about needing inside men, but Clark is too good. He should be a star player in the MVC by his junior year. I could see him playing some 3 also if needed. He is a top 150 to 200 recruit and I could see that in the two games I saw.

I think we have a good chance at Lane Adams. Sub seemed even more impressed with him and if he is as good as Clark, we would probably take the first one to give us a verbal. I have not seen Adams so I'm guessing but I would imagine that Adams game would be more on the perimeter than Clark's. Clark has always been known for his jump shot, but he has expanded his game.

Let's not forget Trevor Deloach either at this position. I got a feeling that Marshall and Grant know this kid can play no matter what SC thinks. If we don't get a commit from Clark or Adams, I wouldn't be surprised with one from Deloach.

Of course I also saw John Ekey. He would make a solid SF in the Valley. He should have a good chance of being a starter by his junior year. I think we have a good chance at him, better than the other bigs we have offered.

Perhaps my favorite for the front court is a 2008 recruit, John Wilkins. He could add depth this year, and is probably as skilled or possibly more than any of our other offers to big men. Of course none of us have a clue on our chances for him.

Turner sounds like a future star but we have not offered, probably due to lack of interest on his part. As far as we know we have not offered Kelly Lawson, but I imagine we have or are in the process of deciding on offering. Kelly sounds similar in skills to Jon Ekey.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

I forgot about Ekey and didn't have him on the list I was looking at.

Adams can ball. And not just on the perimeter. He's pretty quick with the ball and with his reported vertical can get inside and shoot over others. I saw him drive a number of times at the camp.

I do think that Clark was probably pretty winded by the time I saw him but you could see the talent he has. His shot wasn't falling though and I don't recall him doing much more than spot up shooting. But have heard he's been expanding his game.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                              I don't understand it either but pretty sure it does work out that way somehow. Howard was a grayshirt in which he paid for a semester and then got one in the spring when I guess they open up and are available.

I hear it happens in football quite a bit.
                              That was back during the 5/8 rule that has since been done away with. He "grayshirted" because there were 6 people in his recruiting class. You cannot have more than 13 players on scholarship at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X