Michael Kessens - Alabama Grad Transfer 6'9 228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Kessens - Alabama Grad Transfer 6'9 228

Alabama grad transfer Michael Kessens is considering FIU, UC Santa Barbara, Pepperdine, Wichita State, Dayton, UC Riverside.
    https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/717727358728462337

P
    layed in all of Alabama's games this year, started 21, but only averaged 3.7 ppg and 3.5 rpg

Looking at that list, I think its between us and Dayton if we want him. The other schools really aren't in the same league.

Meh
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
      Meh
      Kind of my feeling. Would he even see the floor with Morris/Willis? Unless he is capable of playing the 4 with Kelly, I don't know much about him.

Frankly, I hope we try to grab Alec Peters

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        Kind of my feeling. Would he even see the floor with Morris/Willis? Unless he is capable of playing the 4 with Kelly, I don't know much about him.

If I read the article that I saw about it correctly, he was basically 3rd string at Bama. That would probably put him somewhere in the ballpark of competing with Brett Barney for minutes. I'd rather not give up one of our current guys for that.

Comment

I don't remember seeing this kid against us, but with stats as modest as his, yet started 21 games, I wonder if he's an "effort" type of player. Looking at the bright side, maybe he's a guy who can come off the bench to play PF for a few minutes at a time. Basically, a bench version of EW, but not undersized.

That said, we already have Rashard Kelly for that role.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I don't remember seeing this kid against us, but with stats as modest as his, yet started 21 games, I wonder if he's an "effort" type of player. Looking at the bright side, maybe he's a guy who can come off the bench to play PF for a few minutes at a time. Basically, a bench version of EW, but not undersized.

That said, we already have Rashard Kelly for that role.
            I looked up and he played 4 minutes against us this year. 2 pts 0 reb, 2 fouls
            20 min, 6 pts, 3 reb, 4 fouls last year

Comment

The article said he had lost over 5 minutes per game compared to last year. I'll see if I can find it and figure out how to link it.

Comment

Couldn't link it, but it's not from a pay site, so I think this is ok. If not, feel free to delete it.

According to CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein, Kessens will graduate from Alabama this spring before transferring. He has one year of eligibility left and can play immediately next season.

He is the second member of the Crimson Tide to announce that he will transfer on Wednesday after starting point guard Justin Coleman revealed his plans to leave the school, per Michael Casagrande of AL.com.
                Alabama head coach Avery Johnson told Casagrande, though, that Kessens could explore playing professionally in Europe along with staying at the collegiate level.
                "I loved his energy he gave us throughout the season, and he was a joy to coach," Johnson said. "We certainly wish him the best in whatever career path he chooses."
                The Switzerland native began his college career at Longwood University of the Big South Conference and averaged 13.7 points and 8.8 rebounds per game in his freshman year.
                After transferring to Alabama and sitting out the 2013-14 season, Kessens averaged 5.9 points and 5.2 rebounds in 21.2 minutes per game in 2014-15.
                His time on the court dropped by almost five minutes this season as he came in relief for Jimmie Taylor and Shannon Hale. The Crimson Tide limped to an 18-15 season and lost in the first round of the NIT to Creighton.
                Hale and Taylor will be seniors next season, so Alabama's frontcourt won't take too hard of a hit. But the Tide will have to focus on finding depth at the position this offseason now that Kessens is leaving.

Comment

So third on Alabama's depth chart to third (or 4th) on WSU's ... Not a great move.

Comment

Send him to Drake.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He'll go with his coach to Vandy

Comment

I assume he is a 5.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          He'll go with his coach to Vandy
                          Note I said "try" ... though I agree he probably will. Would be a heck of a grab though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                            If I read the article that I saw about it correctly, he was basically 3rd string at Bama. That would probably put him somewhere in the ballpark of competing with Brett Barney for minutes. I'd rather not give up one of our current guys for that.
                            Does anyone even know how good Barney might be? The only time I saw him was at Shocker Madness last year and I thought he played well. And no one has mentioned Nurger. He gave good minutes last year.

Comment

Walk-on?

Comment

Working...
                              X