Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitchell Smith 6-10 C 2016 to Missouri

Set to visit in Oct.

@CoachWings: @D1Circuit Arkansas Wings EYBL/Van Buren, AR 6' 10" 220 Sr C, Mitchell Smith on official at Creighton, MO Sept 18-19, Wichita State, Oct 2-4

Mitchell Smith is a 6-9, 180-pound Power Forward from Van Buren, AR.

Van Buren forward Mitchell Smith is used to drawing attention on the floor but now his skills, other than scoring, are drawing attention from college coaches

Highlight video. http://youtu.be/C64Oni0y-zg
    Last edited by Remember'70; August 30, 2015, 11:03 AM. Reason: Added video

Originally posted by Remember'70 View Post
    Set to visit in Oct.

@CoachWings: @D1Circuit Arkansas Wings EYBL/Van Buren, AR 6' 10" 220 Sr C, Mitchell Smith on official at Creighton, MO Sept 18-19, Wichita State, Oct 2-4

Mitchell Smith is a 6-9, 180-pound Power Forward from Van Buren, AR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC20YDFnE4U
    I don't know our chances but his skills match Marshall's offensive style perfectly.

Comment

Great passer. Good handles. Nice looking shot. High energy.

Bring this kid in and get him Rosenboom-ed.

Comment

He would do well in the middle. We are looking at a lot of guys with a bit of offensive polish.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Mitchell and Markis, Bookends II. I think that could work very nicely indeed. We need to get Antoine and Cliff involved.

Comment

He's AAU team was the Arkansas Wings, one of the best EYBL teams. They were led by 5 star guard Malik Monk. They didn't bother to make to many post pass so a little hard to draw much about Smith's offense. He averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds a game. I think his defense was pretty solid. He see himself as a stretch 4, and that he's not going to out muscle anybody. He's thin. I'm surprised and question his 220lb listing.
            In the fast lane

Comment

Tall, athletic, and moves well. Put some more meat and muscle on and 3G can do the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                ... he's not going to out muscle anybody. He's thin. I'm surprised and question his 220lb listing.
                If Smith wants to have a shot at the NBA someday -- and how many kids good enough to be high major recruits (I'm defining WSU as a high major here) wouldn't want a shot at the NBA? -- he'll probably need either to turn into Kevin Durant or change that mindset. The NBA is not exactly crawling with skinny 6-10 guys who can get pushed around.

So if he's up to it -- and that's the key: IF he's up to it -- WSU would be a good fit, with Marshall working on the attitude and Rosenboom on the strength.
                Last edited by WSUwatcher; September 7, 2015, 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Mitchell Smith is a guard in a big man’s body and he uses those skills to his advantage. “I’m not the type of player who is going to out-muscle you,” he said. “I’m more versatile, athletic. I’m going to try to out-run you. I’m going to try to play you away from the basket.”

Smith (6-foot-10, 200 pounds) will visit Wichita State the first weekend in October. He visited Creighton and will visit Missouri, while also considering Arkansas and Memphis. He is a senior at Van Buren (Ark.), where he earned All-Class 7A honors and averaged 18.1 points and 7.6 rebounds, according to the Southwest (Ark.) Times Record.

Van Buren coach Randy Loyd sees Smith as a forward in college after playing in the post for his team. Most of his points come around the basket in high school. Smith spent the off-season working on his jump shot to add range to his scoring.

“He’s a highly skilled forward,” Loyd said. “With that size, it’s hard to believe he can do the things he can do with a basketball. He’s developed a shot from the perimeter and he’s going to do it for us this year.”

One of Smith’s top skills is passing. His highlight videos show him handling double-teams with crisp passes and finding open teammates. “When I was young, I always wanted to be a point guard,” he said. “I watched a lot of point guards and watched how they saw the floor. I pull a lot of double teams, so there’s always going to be someone open.”

Smith said he will likely sign in November. WSU’s recent success put the school in his focus and he pays particular attention to guard Ron Baker when he watches.

“The relationship with the coaching staff and players is important,” he said. “I’ve got to jell with them. I’m going to be there for four years.”

Comment

Tweet:

Missouri and Wichita State coming to visit Mitchell Smith tomorrow!
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                      Tweet:

Missouri and Wichita State coming to visit Mitchell Smith tomorrow!
                      Trpicalshox...clear some space in your PM inbox so I can send you a message. It says you have exceeded your limit.

Comment

Missouri offered.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

So if all goes well on his visit, Smith will be able to choose between the program Marshall rejected and that continues to sputter, or the one he stayed with (also over another SEC program) and has continued to build. You never know what catches a kid's attention most, but that combination certainly might seem to bode well.

Comment

who do you want to play against? vs. who do you want to play for?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              who do you want to play against? vs. who do you want to play for?
                              That will always be a recruiting issue.

Another issue that doesn't get enough play in this Forum is that Marshall will lose some recruits (that we out here really want) because that recruit sees the work the players do here and wants something a little less strenuous.

The scouting services don't consider heart and willingness to work hard. Marshall does. Recruits have to consider whether they are willing to do the work necessary to play for Marshall. It's not always a bad thing to have a highly considered recruit choose another school. Sometimes it's best for WSU and for the player.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X