Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T J Dunans 6-5 SG '15 Offered

6-5 JUCO shooting guard from Atlanta, GA attending Columbia State CC

Averaged 33 pts in NJCAA national tournament including 52-pt performance in elite eight game against Vincensse.

@VerbalCommits: Penn State and Wichita State have offered 2015 Columbia State CC (TN) G T.J. Dunans. (HT @JucoReport) @TJ_Grindmannn http://t.co/QuSTnkanAz

Video Highlights:
    http://verbalcommits.com/players/t-j-dunans

JUCO Report:
    His offensive numbers are hard to argue with in terms of his ability to flat out put up points, 19 games he scored over 20 points, 5 games over 30 points with 2 of those games being over 40 points. He scores in a multitude of ways but we like is his ability to draw contact and get to the free throw line

http://jucoreport.com/jucoreporttv-t...olumbia-state/

Stats
    TJ Dunans | #1 | G | Columbia State Community College

GP PTS/G FG % 3PT % FT % REB/G A/G
    32 22.8 45.3 20.5 69.2 8.4 4.4

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2...s/tjdunansny2t
    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; September 22, 2014, 11:34 PM.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Oddly enough, I know someone who said they happened to be on a flight to Georgia with Gregg Marshall on board a week or so ago. Must have been this guy, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
      6-5 JUCO shooting guard from Atlanta, GA attending Columbia State CC

Averaged 33 pts in NJCAA national tournament including 52-pt performance in elite eight game against Vincensse.

@VerbalCommits: Penn State and Wichita State have offered 2015 Columbia State CC (TN) G T.J. Dunans. (HT @JucoReport) @TJ_Grindmannn http://t.co/QuSTnkanAz

Video Highlights:

JUCO Report:
      His offensive numbers are hard to argue with in terms of his ability to flat out put up points, 19 games he scored over 20 points, 5 games over 30 points with 2 of those games being over 40 points. He scores in a multitude of ways but we like is his ability to draw contact and get to the free throw line

Stats
      TJ Dunans | #1 | G | Columbia State Community College

GP PTS/G FG % 3PT % FT % REB/G A/G
      32 22.8 45.3 20.5 69.2 8.4 4.4

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2...s/tjdunansny2t
      Fine by me.

I sorta am of the school that it is easier to teach defense than offense.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
        Fine by me.

I sorta am of the school that it is easier to teach defense than offense.
        He may score a lot, but he doesn't exactly have the offensive game down pat. He may find it a bit harder to drive to the bucket if he shoots 20.5% from 3 in D-I ball. And yes, he took a lot of shots (132).

On the other hand, he may very well have some defensive skills already with 93 steals (2.9 pg), 72 blocks (2.25 pg), with only 32 personal fouls (1.0 pg). I have a feeling they don't keep the PF records very well in juco ball.

Comment

If he shoots just a bit over 20% from three, I can see why they'd focus instead on his ability to draw contact and get to the line (although it would be nice to see better than 69% shooting once he's there). Still, if Marshall likes him, that's okay with me. The non-scoring stats (8+ rpg, and 4+ APG for a big scorer, as well as the blocks and steals on the defensive side) are impressive, too.

Plus, I don't think there's much doubt which basketball program -- at least on the men's side -- is more advanced as between WSU and Penn State, and the Shocks will definitely have an opening at the wing position next year. If he can definitely guard people, maybe he can try to be Tekele II. And remember, there was also a time when Cotton couldn't seem to shoot the three, either.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            If he shoots just a bit over 20% from three, I can see why they'd focus instead on his ability to draw contact and get to the line (although it would be nice to see better than 69% shooting once he's there). Still, if Marshall likes him, that's okay with me. The non-scoring stats (8+ rpg, and 4+ APG for a big scorer, as well as the blocks and steals on the defensive side) are impressive, too.

Plus, I don't think there's much doubt which basketball program -- at least on the men's side -- is more advanced as between WSU and Penn State, and the Shocks will definitely have an opening at the wing position next year. If he can definitely guard people, maybe he can try to be Tekele II. And remember, there was also a time when Cotton couldn't seem to shoot the three, either.
            While he has had droughts during a season, please, do not compare Cotton's 3 pt shooting to a second year juco shooting .205 (27-132) for a full season. As a freshman, Cotton shot .348 (8-32), soph .364 (24-66), and .371 (43-116) last season.

In D-I ball, they will encourage, a 20% 3 shooter to take all the shots he wants by playing off until he proves otherwise and making less room for him to find a driving lane.

Nevertheless, I'm merely pointing out a (big) weakness for a SG/SF and not criticizing the overall value that Marshall may see in him. I would not expect him to shoot 132 3 pointers while making only 20% under Marshall.

Comment

I've never seen TJ play and It's been a long time so I may be wrong, but TJ's game sounds similar to Cheese Johnson. Cheese, at 6'5 was a very strong rebounder, was very versatile defensively, had a very good inside offensive game and a lot of success at medium range. Additionally, he had pretty good handles, and was extremely quick. Cheese improved his outside shooting, and free throw shooting a little during his time at WSU but still he was limited at these skills. However, he was an excellent college player and I would take Cheese again in a heart beat.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                Plus, I don't think there's much doubt which basketball program -- at least on the men's side -- is more advanced as between WSU and Penn State, and the Shocks will definitely have an opening at the wing position next year.
                Auburn and West Virginia have also offered scholarships to Dunans.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  He may score a lot, but he doesn't exactly have the offensive game down pat. He may find it a bit harder to drive to the bucket if he shoots 20.5% from 3 in D-I ball. And yes, he took a lot of shots (132).

On the other hand, he may very well have some defensive skills already with 93 steals (2.9 pg), 72 blocks (2.25 pg), with only 32 personal fouls (1.0 pg). I have a feeling they don't keep the PF records very well in juco ball.
                  Oops. I missed the 3 ball stat. 20.5%. 132 shots. Makes me wonder about the coach.

Free throw is sorta ok, but not great.

Put me in the undecided column.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    I've never seen TJ play and It's been a long time so I may be wrong, but TJ's game sounds similar to Cheese Johnson. Cheese, at 6'5 was a very strong rebounder, was very versatile defensively, had a very good inside offensive game and a lot of success at medium range. Additionally, he had pretty good handles, and was extremely quick. Cheese improved his outside shooting, and free throw shooting a little during his time at WSU but still he was limited at these skills. However, he was an excellent college player and I would take Cheese again in a heart beat.
                    I can buy in on this comparison. Particularly if the SF and/or PF can pull their man away from the basket.

Comment

I happened to see him play at the Juco Tournament the game he put up 52 obviously that was an impressive performance. What I liked about him was his length was similar to Nick Wiggins but he had very good lateral quickness (which I was a real issue for Nick on the defensive end) and I thought a pretty darn good defender. He was a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. He was definitely a leader on the court (one of the highlighted notes I had in my book as I just looked in my program after I saw we were in on him.

If he came here I know he would get some of minutes we need to absorb after Tekele is gone. He is no Tekele but really who is?

Comment

Another example of a former Shocker with a similar style of play might be Jamar Howard who was also a very talented and athletic Shocker (too emotional with referees but that's another issue) who was as responsible for turning our program around from a doormat as anyone.

Comment

@JucoRecruiting: TJ Dunans (6'5/G/2015) of Columbia St. has official visits set to Auburn and Penn St. Will also visit Cincinnati

@JucoRecruiting: Wichita State, Arizona St and West Virginia are also still involved with TJ Dunans.

Comment

Data on Dunans

Latest schools to show interest:

@JucoRecruiting: Missouri & Alabama are the latest schools to show interest in TJ Dunans of Columbia St. Will continue to pick up offers/interest from HM's
                            08/07/2014

Vols get involved (and USC):

@JucoRecruiting: Tennessee and USC are the latest schools to show interest in TJ Dunans (6'5/G/2015) of Columbia State.
                            08/07/2014

A matchup nightmare:

http://jucoreport.com/meet-tj-dunans/

Comment

He has scheduled official visits to Penn St, Auburn, and Cincy. WSU still being considered for one of the remaining two along with USC, AZST, and Mizzou.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/t-j-du...ficial-visits/

Comment

Working...
                              X