The Courting of Marvin Clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Courting of Marvin Clark

Interesting article on the recruitment of Sunrise star Marvin Clark. I'm glad I'm not involved in recruiting for a living.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Quite a story! You can see how much influence a mentor or coach can have on an impressionable kid. Glad to see he made his own choice and not one that would be more to the benefit of his coach than to himself.

Comment

Makes me kind of wish we played DII or NAIA. I think the NCAA system is disgusting.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Unfortunanetly its all about the money. Even at the young age of 17 year old kids who wish to help out their families with the dream of playing in the NBA. A shame on our society....but again....money trumps "everything" in this world.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Can't say we didn't try for the kid, he says the Shocks wrote to him 56 times.

Comment

This story really sheds light on the type of competitive pressure that the _coaches_ are under to grab elite recruits.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
              Unfortunanetly its all about the money. Even at the young age of 17 year old kids who wish to help out their families with the dream of playing in the NBA. A shame on our society....but again....money trumps "everything" in this world.
              Why is it a shame? These kids are given an opportunity that they would never be given otherwise. I see this as a miracle of capitalism for those that are either naturally gifted or work their asses off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Why is it a shame? These kids are given an opportunity that they would never be given otherwise. I see this as a miracle of capitalism for those that are either naturally gifted or work their asses off.
                It's a shame because these type of kids at age 17 are thinking they have to make adult decisions that they think will give them the best opportunity to possibly make it all the way to the NBA in order to support their parents and siblings. I wouldn't want my son to EVER think he has to "support" me and feel that type of responsibility at age 17. But in those kids that see the NBA as the only option it is a shame because #1 ~ For them to EVEN think that they have to support their parents...and #2 ~ To not believe by getting a free ride to a 4 year degree will not be "enough" to provide for them after they graduate college.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

It's a shame because these type of kids at age 17 are thinking they have to make adult decisions that they think will give them the best opportunity to possibly make it all the way to the NBA in order to support their parents and siblings. I wouldn't want my son to EVER think he has to "support" me and feel that type of responsibility at age 17. But in those kids that see the NBA as the only option it is a shame because #1 ~ For them to EVEN think that they have to support their parents...and #2 ~ To not believe by getting a free ride to a 4 year degree will not be "enough" to provide for them after they graduate college.
                  That's a good point. It's interesting that they rarely mention the part where college actually can make a difference. It just goes to show how little it is truly about the college education for these guys. You don't have to be a millionaire playing pro ball to get ahead in life. You just need an education, willingness to work and then a job. Getting a scholarship to COLLEGE should be celebrated. Making a living in pro ball is only for a select few.

Comment

If it were capitalism they would be able to sell their skills to the highest bidder upon the day they were of age to enter a legal contract. Instead the players have to negotiate two near monopolies (NCAA and NBA) with a number of rules that rig the game against the individual.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I see.

I don't feel #1 is a shame against society though -- that's a shame on his upbringing by an unwed mother doing drugs, putting direct and indirect pressure on him (such asking him to cosign a loan).

#2 is tricky. It's mainly #1 again, coupled with a lack of maturity, and there's a little responsibility on his teachers too -- so I guess there is a society angle there. He will soon realize he can make an income without the NBA though (unless he makes it), and be able to help out his siblings.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        If it were capitalism they would be able to sell their skills to the highest bidder upon the day they were of age to enter a legal contract. Instead the players have to negotiate two near monopolies (NCAA and NBA) with a number of rules that rig the game against the individual.
                        Well they can, really. They just have to find a foreign high bidder for a year. Unfortunately the high bidder is usually going to be zero because they are in a hyper-competitive industry. I do agree about the NCAA being way too heavily oriented in protecting the schools versus the student-athlete though.

Comment

This story really sheds light on the type of competitive pressure that the _coaches_ are under to grab elite recruits.
                          There are many reasons we recruit JuCo and Transfer players like we do, but here's another one.

You really put yourself in a tough position if you let AAU coaches influence playing time by threatening to direct players elsewhere.

It's telling that we don't usually get multiple players from the same AAU teams.

While some may wish our recruiting looked different, you can't argue with success.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

I see.

I don't feel #1 is a shame against society though -- that's a shame on his upbringing by an unwed mother doing drugs, putting direct and indirect pressure on him (such asking him to cosign a loan).

#2 is tricky. It's mainly #1 again, coupled with a lack of maturity, and there's a little responsibility on his teachers too -- so I guess there is a society angle there. He will soon realize he can make an income without the NBA though (unless he makes it), and be able to help out his siblings.
                            Thumbs up
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Until 50 years ago, 17 year old kids were men who could make life decisions.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X