Future Big Man Depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Big Man Depth

One thing that worries me about next years team is our big man depth. We are losing 3 out of 4 big men and the only one returning is Carter who is 6'7" 235lbs. To me he seems to be more of a PF than a C. Shaq Morris looks like he is going to be a good player and my guess is he will be our starting 5 next year, but he is also just 6'7". Bush Wamukota is a 7 footer, but from what I have seen of him it doesn't look like he will be much more than a 10-15 min guy next year. None of the guys we are bringing in have much size besides Bush. A couple 6'7"-6'8" guys, but they are skinny guys who will probably be more SF, maybe PF. We also don't seem to have a whole lot of big men on the radar going forward. I would think that GM would focus on bringing in some decent big men to go next to our talented guards. We have G and SF prospects out the wazoo going forward, but very very few true big men. Obviously I'm going to trust GM knows what he is doing, but it just seems a little weird.

I don't disagree. If it's one thing that concerns me going forward this year, and even next year with Bush Wam, is a combination of BOTH length and strength at the 5 spot.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Willie Atwood

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Willie Atwood
        I see we are recruiting him, but do we have a scholarship spot open for him? And he would definitely help. Allow Carter to play the PF or C. It still wouldn't make us any bigger or stronger at the C though.

Comment

Yes it will.

Comment

How do you figure? It would definitely provide depth for us down low. He seems to be to be a great PF prospect, not a C

Comment

Bush W = Coleby
              Shaq = CL
              Carter = Carter

Other incoming recruits = more bodies.

...and...nobody will want to hear this - such as Ben Smith a few years ago...
              Evan could see some minutes at the 4; he already has this season. Not all the time mind you, but he knows the system.
              FVV
              RB
              TC
              EW
              DC
              most experience.

Comment

Carter Bush and Shaq at the 5 is more than serviceable. If you're worried about not having Hakeem at the 5, I don't know what to tell you.

Comment

Assuming the roster next year is as it currently stands (no Atwood). Thereby you would have

PF - Carter, Morris, Kelly, Green
                  C - Wamukota, Morris, Carter

Carter is the only real known quantity, but the bodies are there. We would just need to hope that we get quality play from B-Wam and Morris, with contributions from Kelly and Green.

Now, if we get Atwood, and assuming it's not at the expense of Morris or Kelly, then it's:

PF - Atwood, Morris, Carter, Kelly, Green
                  C - Carter, B-Wam, Morris

And that would be a tremendous frontcourt.

Comment

Trop can you please weigh in on this and give me your opinion on how many more you think we will add. I realize that we don't have any more to give but we all know at least one is leaving and now I am thinking that a second might be leaving as well. I won't mention any names but Trop how many do you think we are looking to add. It appears we are looking at a big man and a wing. Do you think Marshall is looking to add the best player available or wanting to add a player at each spot.

Comment

What about sky? Does that further complicate the situation?

Comment

They only player we know who can produce down low that we will have next year is Carter. Carter is a gifted offensive big man who's natural position is the PF. I'm not putting too much stock in Bush Wam producing for us next year. Be is barely producing for a CC team. His potential is extrememly high, but I view him as a project more than a contributor. I think Morris will be our starting 5 next year. His strength and toughness will get him a lot of minutes. Who knows how hamilton or kelly will do coming in. I would guess one or maybe both will redshirt. I think green is more of a SF and he will probably just take over for Wiggins.

So our front court could potetnially be
                        PF - Carter, Kelly or Hamilton, Wessel
                        C - Morris, Bush

Startng I think we will be good, but the depth could become an issue

Comment

Marshall seems to have been pretty clear that he thinks that Kelly will be ready to play immediately, so I don't think a redshirt is happening there. Pretty good chance that Hamilton will redshirt from the comments made about his need to keep developing, but I think Kelly will be a part of the rotation from the get go.

Also keep in mind that the college game is seeing a trend towards two power forwards instead of traditional centers. Carter has split time between PF and C this year, so I don't see any reason that he won't see minutes at both spots next year if we need him to.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            Also keep in mind that the college game is seeing a trend towards two power forwards instead of traditional centers. Carter has split time between PF and C this year, so I don't see any reason that he won't see minutes at both spots next year if we need him to.
                            I fully expect to see Carter playing both. I see GM wanting him to be in the game as much as possible next year. I think he is a more than adaquate C in many situations. I just see him struggling to guard a bigger more physical C. Luckily there aren't many of those in the MVC. I think keeping our bigs out of foul trouble could be a huge factor next year.

Comment

The problem here is that no matter who else we sign, they will still be an unknown quantity. We are graduating 2 centers and a PF.

Wamakuto will be a 15-20 minute guy and will be an effective defensive player.

Carter will be a 20-25 minute guy.

Expect 15-20 mpg from Kelly and Morris.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X