Some concerns about recruiting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some concerns about recruiting!

Is it just me or are we having some trouble landing some bigs for 2014 and beyond. Maybe we have some that are not in the recruiting summary. Does anyone know!!!!!!!

Originally posted by JEE View Post
    Is it just me or are we having some trouble landing some bigs for 2014 and beyond. Maybe we have some that are not in the recruiting summary. Does anyone know!!!!!!!
    We have missed on some high profile guys and that is disappointing. We are in on some VERY good players. No worries yet…
    Livin the dream

Comment

We don't know what we don't know

Comment

Originally posted by JEE View Post
        I have to admit that I too was in this line of thinking and then I reminded myself that, first, I'm new to SN, not the Shox mind you, just the fan forum and experience, and, although I've tried to follow the recruiting at WSU, up until this year, I've had to rely on what little the Eagle published on its web site.

I was really fretting that Marshall was missing on recruits and I had to step back and remind myself that every year HCGM has been in Wichita, he has managed to find some seriously talented athletes who buy into his style of teamwork and unselfishness that has turned this program into a true national power to be reckoned with, and I never really knew who he was targeting or who the fans were drooling over until I signed up to the Net.

I got caught up in the FF hype and the likely draw that would result in all of these 4 and 5 stars players lining up to get the opportunity to play for 3G. And I missed the point. That being, that Mr. Marshall got to the Final Four with a team of athletes who play stingy defense and with a chip on their shoulders because they weren't targeted by the "majors" or weren't identified by the scouts as being 4 or 5 star players.

I think we'll be just fine.

Comment

Kentucky and Kansas have had just as many kids commit somewhere else as we have.

We are fine. Remember how many recruiting services knew about Tekele Cotton and Ron Baker.

Its a great day to be a Shocker, and tomorrow will be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
            We don't know what we don't know
            The key point.

+30*

(*victories, that is)

Comment

Brown, Kelly, and Henderson are serious athletes, and from the sounds of things that have been posted in various places on this board, our coaches may think that Kelly is vastly underrated. I think already this class is Marshall's best at WSU on the basis that all three so far are rated 3*.

If we're looking for 4* and 5* guys, that's going to take some time and some consistent success. We still might be a year or two and another deep run in the NCAA's away from actually signing guys like that. Our conference affiliation doesn't do us any favors in recruiting, but it can be overcome. And I think with Forbes on the staff recruiting picks up greatly next year. We were on the final lists for some 4* guys this year--next year I wouldn't be surprised if we land one.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

We've been in on some bigs that were very high profile. Marshall is going after players at a level WSU hasn't historically recruited. If you recruit them and don't get them, that's the same final result as not recruiting them.

So, what would you rather have - message board disappointment because Marshall was shooting for some of the best bigs available, or message board satisfaction because Marshall ignored the high profile bigs and only went after post players that could be easily signed "at this level".

If you never want to be disappointed don't read the Recruiting Forum.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  So, what would you rather have - message board disappointment because Marshall was shooting for some of the best bigs available, or message board satisfaction because Marshall ignored the high profile bigs and only went after post players that could be easily signed "at this level".
                  So Aargh...you are talking about the Turgeon recruiting plan while he was at WSU vs the Marshall Plan...right?
                  "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                  which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Disagree about the point of recruiting and not signing is the same result as not recruiting at all. The recruiting game is a long relationship process. Having WSU coaches in among the big names on a consistent basis will eventually yield big dividends. You have to be in the mix on a lot of big time guys to eventualy land one. They are building relationships not just with potential players, but influential coaches, programs, etc.

Comment

But it is a two-edged sword. Misses have an opportunity cost--by definition we spent significant amount of time building relationships with kids who go elsewhere. Have to balance swinging for the fences with following the program that has built the success to this point.
                      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                        But it is a two-edged sword. Misses have an opportunity cost--by definition we spent significant amount of time building relationships with kids who go elsewhere. Have to balance swinging for the fences with following the program that has built the success to this point.
                        It might be possible that all is not wasted, because oftentimes the relationship is also built with the coach, too, and that will endure beyond just the individual player. A good relationship with a player may well transfer to another player (teammate or opponent) as well. Good vibes from a good relationship are not usually internally well-hidden.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

This is what I know.

If there is not any bait in the water, it is pretty hard to land a lunker.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            It might be possible that all is not wasted, because oftentimes the relationship is also built with the coach, too, and that will endure beyond just the individual player. A good relationship with a player may well transfer to another player (teammate or opponent) as well. Good vibes from a good relationship are not usually internally well-hidden.
                            Just to build on what you posted here, big time recruits are usually coached by big time AAU and HS coaches and programs. Just being in the discussion with some of these kids means that we have the respect of these coaches and programs.

Missing on some of these kids may not be the opportunity cost loss that some of you are thinking it may be.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Lets think about recent non-BCS final four participants and regularly regarded teams that have migrated from the "mid-major" ranks.

Butler - Big time recruits? None to speak of. A lot of 3 star guys on their list ranked above 120. They've lost their coach.
                              VCU - Missed out on some highly rated recruits. Kept their coach. Not sure if they're system is conducive to 4+ star recruits.
                              Gonzaga - Regularly gets high level recruits. Have kept their coach long-term. No.1 ranking last year.

Everyone talks about how Gonzaga has "broken through". They can schedule nationally and are media darlings. This attention has not led to deep NCAA tourney success.
                              Butler has a history of sustained success. Their biggest recruit/transfer after their run was Rotnei Clarke. With Stevens gone we'll see if they can sustain the program AND the system. "Big East" affiliation will help with recruiting.
                              Shaka Smart is a player's coach. He is young and charismatic and seems to get buy-in from his players. HAVOC is another media driven success story. The move to the "Big East" will help.

I think the biggest factor is not the high level recruits, but those that buy-in. Sure, no one wants manager material that cannot jump or shoot. But the creation of the family team atmosphere, buy-in and solid system are the responsibility of the coach. Identifying those types of players that are the right mental make-up and have the physical tools cannot be easy. Some sell out their ideals to land that "special" recruit (P'Unk Stinnet).

I like Few. I think he is a good coach and recruiter. Last year was supposed to be Gonzaga's year. When do they really make the run that the media has wanted them to make since the 1990s?
                              I think the loss of Stevens is going to set Butler back for a few years.
                              VCUs window is now. Somebody is going to throw a truckload of money at Smart and I think his ego requires an upgrade in school.

Out of these coaches, I really think Marshall puts it all together (except Stevens, that guy is a perfect basketball coaching android). The Shockers have the best chance to be "Gonzaga", but with actual NCAA success, regardless of the number of 4+ star players they land.
                              Last edited by Anthroshock; November 1, 2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X