Jonathon Massie 6’6 G Transfer Longwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

While I was wrong about 36%, he shot nearly 35% last season according to ESPN, up from 29% the prior season, and 18% the season before that. His 34.6% last season would be the second best on the team last year only behind Colby.

Everyone acts like we're going to be able to find 4 dudes who can shoot 40% from three. His shooting WOULD be an upgrade over what we had last year, and he seems to know how to play defense and rebound.
    I think we need to be careful about stats on players coming from lesser conferences. Regardless of position, they are going to face quicker, stronger, and/or bigger defenders in an upgraded conference, and they may not reach those same numbers. The lesser the conference they come from, the more disparity there may be. Take a look at Bell's shooting numbers at Drexel and compare them to WSU's. Not saying that will always happen, but there are good reasons why they could go down.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm doubtful opposing teams were very concerned about closing out on a guy who was a career 25% three point shooter before last season. Massie also only shot 28% from deep in conference play last year.

I agree he looks like a good defender and rebounder, but I disagree that he's a good shooter. You have to consider that almost no one comes to WSU and becomes a better shooter lol

Honestly if he could finish at the rim I might be interested, but 41% at the rim is terrible for a wing his size.
      6 feet 6 is not good size for a forward, even a small one. That's only 2 or 3 inches taller than i am, and i made 47 out of 50 3 balls, albeit unguarded, last week as part of my workout. So where's my bag? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
        I think he’ll be playing here next year. Just a guess
        Between Hill or McBride, who do you think or guess might also be playing here?
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

It says he shot 34.6% from 3 last year right? I don’t understand where all those other numbers are coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post

Between Hill or McBride, who do you think or guess might also be playing here?
            No idea I just noticed he was following multiple staff members and Taylor Eldridge after the reported interest so that’s why I guessed that

Comment

While I was wrong about 36%, he shot nearly 35% last season according to ESPN, up from 29% the prior season, and 18% the season before that. His 34.6% last season would be the second best on the team last year only behind Colby.

Everyone acts like we're going to be able to find 4 dudes who can shoot 40% from three. His shooting WOULD be an upgrade over what we had last year, and he seems to know how to play defense and rebound.
              Ah I see where the discrepancy is coming from: ESPN is including stats against non-D1 teams. Against D1 teams he shot 33% last season. He shot 28% from three in conference play.

If he can improve from 33% to 36% then he would be quite solid from deep, if his shooting declines from 33% to 30% then I don't really want him taking threes, and his rim finishing is poor so I'm not sure what he would do on offense.

Funny how a few percentage points can make all the difference!
              Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

6 feet 6 is not good size for a forward, even a small one. That's only 2 or 3 inches taller than i am, and i made 47 out of 50 3 balls, albeit unguarded, last week as part of my workout. So where's my bag? Lol.
                College SFs usually range from 6'5 to 6'7. Harlond Beverly is 6'5 and finished 56% of his shots at the rim last season, compared to 41% from Massie.

Comment

Ah I see where the discrepancy is coming from: ESPN is including stats against non-D1 teams. Against D1 teams he shot 33% last season. He shot 28% from three in conference play.

If he can improve from 33% to 36% then he would be quite solid from deep, if his shooting declines from 33% to 30% then I don't really want him taking threes, and his rim finishing is poor so I'm not sure what he would do on offense.

Gotcha, yeah a 6-6 guy who shoots about 35% sure seems a heck of a lot better than 33% and certainly 28...

Have to admit I think he is a bit mid, as well.

Comment

We have 3 to give. We lost both backup centers. We have none. We lost both 4's. We have Ronnie left, at 6'6". At least 2 ships have to go to bigger guys. We lost Colby, we are bringing in tJ and the Lipscomb kid to replace him. Another 6'6" wing would just be stooopid.

Comment

If we had three/four dudes in the starting lineup that could shoot 33-40% from three, I think you take it. If you can get a guy off the bench that is shooting 33% from three, you take that too. Especially based on what we had last season.

Also, not quite sure what everyone is on about with size. The average NBA small forward is 6'6-6'7.

Comment

If we had three/four dudes in the starting lineup that could shoot 33-40% from three, I think you take it. If you can get a guy off the bench that is shooting 33% from three, you take that too. Especially based on what we had last season.

Also, not quite sure what everyone is on about with size. The average NBA small forward is 6'6-6'7.
                        My primary concern is that WSU currently has one player on the roster (AJ McGinnis) who is a true threat from deep. Massie at 33% certainly isn't terrible, but he likely doesn't create the spacing WSU needs unless he improves by a few percentage points (which is certainly possible).

With three scholarships left I'd like them to add at least two guys (hopefully a PG and PF) in the 35%+ range from deep.

Comment

After all this debate, Massie has committed to North Texas lol

Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

After all this debate, Massie has committed to North Texas lol

Lol
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

"Thanks, I needed that!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Now we get to watch him torch us and make all the armchair GMs look like idiots. And I include myself in that. Isn't this fun?!

Comment

Working...
                                X