Yanis Bamba 6'6" Wing - Canada 2023 - Signed to Wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Normally I'd agree with the "using one of our final scholarships on a potential diamond in the rough" .. but it feels like we have several of those "recruit based on potential" players on the roster already. Was hoping the last 2 would be more proven players but as the time has gone on .. not much left in the proven market. I get the feeling (especially after the athletic article) that no one, HCPM included, thinks we will be very good THIS year. Its all about building for the years after. In that context, this has a pretty solid risk/reward ratio IMO.
    I agree. I think this team could be decent, but it's not winning the AAC or getting an at-large berth unless something crazy happens. At best, this team is maybe good enough to make the NIT. Every position basically has one solid starter (assuming Colby Rogers isn't a complete dud after sitting out) and a bunch of question marks behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      The fact that he was committed to one of the worst teams in the Valley gives me pause on getting too excited.
      We will know that Shocker basketball is "alive and well" again on planet earth, 3rd rock from the sun, when we read frequent post from Sub stating his favorite phraseology from long ago: "I'M NOT WORRIED!!!!!!!!!!!"
      Last edited by forevershockerfan; July 6, 2023, 04:49 PM.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Reminds me of Cle
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

This isn't disputing your answer, but it just made me think. Are Landry and Cleanthony the only draft picks from WSU have had since X and Aubrey?
          Wasn't Henry Carr drafted when the NBA still had many more rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Dude View Post

Wasn't Henry Carr drafted when the NBA still had many more rounds?
            That is correct. I did read that upon further research.
            78-65

Comment

Was going to post to those who are waiting with baited breath there would soon be recruiting news.... I heard rumblings that something was up.
              However, did not know it would be from across the northern border. HCPM is a clever dude. He is looking near and far for talent to compete in the AAC.

This going to get real interesting, real fast.

That is ALL.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Yet, he signs with Valpo. They must have a good NIL program.

The question I have, and apparently Yanis has as well, is how will he adapt to playing, bigger, stronger, more athletic opponents at the D-1 level.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Actually, I like that Yanis has the self-awareness to understand this. That will work to his benefit I think.
                This Taylor Eldridge article may answer some of your questions regarding Yannis. Or maybe not.

"Wichita State basketball recruit Yanis Bamba has ‘real serious upside,’ per Canadian scout"

“He’s conservatively a top-10 player in this class in Canada and you’ve seen some of the guys we have produced lately,” said Brown, who hosts the Monday Morning Scouting Report on YouTube. “He’s just got a lot more upside than a lot of these (other top-10) guys. He’s got real serious upside because he’s got the body and the athleticism and he can defend and he’s got some play-making and shot-making. As long as he develops properly, I think he can be a really nice piece for Wichita State.” Brown would characterize Bamba as a late bloomer in his class. After playing on the AAU circuit for the first time last summer, Bamba continued to blossom this past season at Jean-de-Brebeuf in an environment that Brown said would be comparable to a prep school in America. Bamba helped his team finish with an 18-4 record this season and averaged 13.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.8 steals, while shooting 43.3% from the field, 31.3% on three-pointers and 61.8% on free throws. The biggest development, in Brown’s estimation, was Bamba’s ball-handling and play-making ability in his final prep season. Jean-de-Brebeuf put the ball in Bamba’s hands more, allowing him to bring the ball up the floor, initiate offense and operate out of the pick-and-roll more often this season. That versatility should serve him well trying to earn minutes at the Div. I level, according to Brown’s scouting report. “He’s a physical, downhill, attacking, strong guard that also plays within himself,” Brown said. “He can make the kick-out passes and make the right play. He didn’t force shots at the rim, which I think is really rare in today’s game. He really has an ability to guard with his high-major length and athleticism. His tools are unmistakable.”

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...277088423.html

Comment

Canada Americas hat.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    Oh, Canada...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Not so sure YB will need to be redshirted. He may be able to be among our rotation players and get some decent minutes this very Season.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        Not so sure YB will need to be redshirted. He may be able to be among our rotation players and get some decent minutes this very Season.
                        Especially if Ronnie DeGray has to sit out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Especially if Ronnie DeGray has to sit out.
                          Valid point. When will we know on DeGray?

Comment

With the NCAA’s record with WSU it will be about 15 games into the season.

Comment

We knew the day he signed with us.

Comment

Go Shockers - Yanis Bamba Signs with Wichita State Hoops

Wichita State men's basketball moved one step closer to finalizing its roster for the 2023-24 season with the addition of Yanis Bamba.

Bamba is a 6-foot-6 combo guard from Laval, Quebec, Canada and Jean de Brebeuf High School. He broke onto the American AAU circuit last summer with Brookwood Elite.

"I'm excited to welcome Yanis to our team," said Wichita State head coach Paul Mills. "He's a competitor who possesses a high skill set with size and athleticism. Yanis can shoot the ball, handle, pass and is a versatile defender. He played a number of possessions at point guard this past season and is widely considered one of the top players in Canada. Shocker fans will enjoy watching Yanis' progression during his career at WSU, as he will make an impact for years to come in a Shocker uniform. Please join me in welcoming Yanis Bamba to Wichita State."

Bamba earned second team all-conference honors as a senior after averaging 13.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.8 steals per game. He helped lead Jean de Brebeuf to an 18-4 record and a third place finish in the RSEQ Provincial Championship.

He is the son of Amara and Christelle Bamba, and has one brother, Malik. He plans to major in business at Wichita State.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X