Devon Manning - Committed to Trinidad State JC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22
    And when we have better post defense we'll see the three point defense improve as well. How many open looks are caused by people helping off and collapsing on the post? We' could have a couple of 7 footers in here that won't need to be helped as often eventually.
    Exactly right. At the moment, our lack of size inside has either forced us into zone or into doubling the post, both of which leave guys open from 3.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
      And when we have better post defense we'll see the three point defense improve as well. How many open looks are caused by people helping off and collapsing on the post? We' could have a couple of 7 footers in here that won't need to be helped as often eventually.
      Exactly right. At the moment, our lack of size inside has either forced us into zone or into doubling the post, both of which leave guys open from 3.
      And with longer, more athletic players, it makes recovery in those situations better. It also helps when it comes to penetration and help D.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It is actually a double trap because we lack size inside.

We play zone, which opens up the outside for 3s.

We play man and double down, which opens up the outside for 3s.

Comment

Except for a couple of teams, we have been the same height inside as the rest. We do not play out far enough on the perimeter to contest the shots.

Watch the perimeter tonight and compare where SIU defends the perimeter to where we defend it.

I have been seeing more screens lately than I have ever seen a Shocker team run though.

Comment

Part of that is the lack of size inside. And I wouldn't expect us to play extremely tight on SIU as they're not a great shooting team. Although they did shoot fairly well against us last time. But I do think tighter perimeter D will come with a more solid post D.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
              Except for a couple of teams, we have been the same height inside as the rest. We do not play out far enough on the perimeter to contest the shots.
              Given that we start 6'6" and 6'7" and our tallest post is 6'8" (and is the worst defender of the bunch) I would contest the notion that we haven't been shorter than most teams we have played.

Nonetheless, even if we were the same height, our lack of post depth has made fouls a concern on post players all season, which also forces us into doing things defensively to cover the post that leave the perimeter more exposed.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The reason SIU's defenders can play tighter on the perimeter is because they have the athletic ability to recover. Some of our perimeter players have that ability (MB, for example, though his size mitigates that strength to a significant degree) and some do not (GM, for example). Where they play on the perimeter is a matter of their athletic ability. We will have better athletes on the perimeter next season and I anticipate our perimeter defense will improve. If Gal tried to belly up someone like Mullins does, he'll be giving up drive after drive after drive.
                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Devon averaged 19.5 ppg, 5 apg, and 2.5 steals this season. They host a 4A State Tourney game tonight.

Comment

Comment

man those retro huggers gotta go. If I was that dude playing D I would feel violated!

Comment

Ta Town - That was a Retro night. See link for more details.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

http://www.shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=10547
                          Oh I know it was, I had already seen the other link.

You think that defender who got a good look gives a rats azz whether or not he was violated in the name of retro. I DON'T BELIEVE HE DOES!

I'm sure he was thinking " I love being able to see other dudes junk as long as its in historically correct"

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                            Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

http://www.shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=10547
                            Oh I know it was, I had already seen the other link.

You think that defender who got a good look gives a rats azz whether or not he was violated in the name of retro. I DON'T BELIEVE HE DOES!

lol

Comment

Shouldnt this kid be 2nd on our list after beckham. He has pretty good stats and hes a high school pg.

Comment

Where are WE at on HIS list?

Comment

Working...
                                X