What if?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if?

What if there was enough money in NIL accounts that sports such as baseball and track that can offer split scholarships offered 1/2 scholarships to its athletes and there was enough NIL money to essentially make up the difference to equal a full ride. This would kind of get around the limits placed on those sports by the ncaa and allow for twice the number of scholarships given. Thoughts?

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    What if there was enough money in NIL accounts that sports such as baseball and track that can offer split scholarships offered 1/2 scholarships to its athletes and there was enough NIL money to essentially make up the difference to equal a full ride. This would kind of get around the limits placed on those sports by the ncaa and allow for twice the number of scholarships given. Thoughts?
    This has been brought up previously on one of the threads discussing NIL. I think the answer to your question is yes, at least in theory especially if the rules and enforcement remains as loose and as easily manipulated as they are where NIL is really just pay to play and not what a reasonable business man would offer for the value of hawking his products by these players would be worth.

Comment

Might not matter. I believe the NCAA is looking into eliminating scholarship caps and only limiting roster sizes. So schools could provide as many scholarships as they can afford.

Comment

The P5 football schools win everything. Everybody else is at such a financial disadvantage that they can't compete.

Comment

The vast majority of kids in sports with partial scholarships (like baseball) get other scholarship assistance (academic) to cover their expenses. If not, and parents aren't picking up the difference, then just take out a loan that you don't have to pay back. It's still going to be about money going into the pockets of the student athletes.

Comment

I think I would be interested in financially helping an athlete in a non-revenue sport like track/CC, softball or baseball. That could actually make a difference. I think there will be plenty of NIL money for men's basketball in Wichita.

Comment

Working...
            X