What ESPN thinks of our 2012 recruiting class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ESPN thinks of our 2012 recruiting class

"Sixty-eight teams made the NCAA tournament, but each of them knows that if they want to return they need to recruit well. Here's a look at what each team in the South Region is losing after this year, what kind of recruiting class they're bringing in and what it means to their hopes of making future NCAA tournaments.

5. Wichita State Shockers

What they're losing: Gregg Marshall can flat-out coach. He's also got himself a staff that can recruit and they'd better, because the losses are hard to swallow. Stars Garrett Stutz, a first-team all-league pick, and Toure' Murry, honorable mention, exhaust their eligibility. So does first-team all-league pick Joe Ragland. Ouch, that's a lot of production and leadership.
    What they're adding: Speaking of leadership, Fred Van Vleet (Rockford, Ill./Auburn) is the Shockers' best signee, and the guard can go. Deontae Hawkins (Dayton, Ohio/Dunbar) can shoot it for a big and he'll play early. A center and two small forwards round out a strong class.
    What it equals: If Van Vleet and Hawkins can develop in two seasons, all is well. The best mid-major programs tend to feature older players, and the Shockers are replenishing talent, and it's going to take time."

I don't think we'll be as 'bad' as some think next season and have a shot at dancing if things fall into place. Just going off of guys we know have been said to be on scholarship:

PG: Demetric Williams (SR), Tekele Cotton (SO), Fred VanVleet (FR)
    SG: Ron Baker (RFR), Tekele Cotton (SO), Evan Wessel (SO)
    SF: Cleanthony Early (JR), Derail Green (FR), Evan Wessel (SO)
    PF: Carl Hall (SR), Jake White (SO), Teddy Hawkins (FR), Cleanthony Early (JR), James Anacreon (SR)
    C: Ehimen Orukpe (SR), Carl Hall (SR), Henry Uwadiae (FR)

That's not necessarily a depth chart from strongest to weakest.

By class:

SR: Demetric Williams, Carl Hall, Ehimen Orukpe, James Anacreon
    JR: Cleanthony Early,
    SO: Tekele Cotton, Evan Wessel, Jake White
    FR: Derail Green, Teddy Hawkins, Fred VanVleet, Henry Uwadiae, Ron Baker

I think you get solid minutes and production out of Williams, Hall, Ehimen, Early, Cotton, White, FVV, Baker and Green.

We're a top 3 team next season with a shot at higher.

And that's not counting Armstead who is assumed to be on 'ship and rightfully so. But there are obviously some question marks as we're still recruiting. Say Anacreon departs and we add Wiggins. I personally would see that as an upgrade. Now if Hawkins is for some reason ineligible, I could see the addition of another JUCO big. That would also give us three in the JR class then which would be nice. And then there's the question about Uwadiae since there's zero info on him and he's switched schools a few times. That's curious. If for some reason something happens there, I'm not sure what the staff would do with another 'ship. I guess in that scenario Armstead would make it 13.

In the 2nd scenario that would give a lineup of something like...

PG: Armstead (SR), Williams (SR), Cotton (SO), FVV (FR)
    SG: Williams (SR), Wiggins (JR), Baker (RFR), Cotton (SO), Wessel (SO)
    SF: Early (JR), Wiggins (JR), Wessel (SO), Green (FR)
    PF: Hall (SR), White (SO), Early (JR), Unkown JC (JR)
    C: Ehimen (SR), Hall (SR), Unknown (JR)

I do think scenario two seems to present a stronger team. Armstead and Wiggins do a lot for depth purposes and ability. Who knows how things will play out right now, but I don't think we'll be hurting too much next season. And the year after is a bit of a question due to post depth.

PG: FVV (SO), Cotton (JR)
    SG: Baker (RSO), Cotton (JR), Wessel (JR)
    SF: Early (SR), Wessel (JR), Green (SO)
    PF: White (JR), Watson (JR), Early (SR)
    C: Watson (JR)

We could add Hawkins (SO) to SF/PF. Uwadiae (RFR) to C. OR Wiggins (SR) to SG/SF. An Unknown JUCO (SR) to PF/C. and then whatever the incoming class would bring in. But that isn't looking too shabby either.

Either way, it's going to be a lot of fun to watch these guys!
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Surprised they didn't mention Cleanthony Early by name in that article.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        Surprised they didn't mention Cleanthony Early by name in that article.
        ESPN has not rated Cleanthony or Derail, thus no mentions. When you see a 40 next to a recruit that just means they have not been rated.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          SR: Demetric Williams, Carl Hall, Ehimen Orukpe, James Anacreon
          JR: Cleanthony Early,
          SO: Tekele Cotton, Evan Wessel, Jake White
          FR: Derail Green, Teddy Hawkins, Fred VanVleet, Henry Uwadiae, Ron Baker

I think you get solid minutes and production out of Williams, Hall, Ehimen, Early, Cotton, White, FVV, Baker and Green.

We're a top 3 team next season with a shot at higher.

And that's not counting Armstead who is assumed to be on 'ship and rightfully so. But there are obviously some question marks as we're still recruiting. Say Anacreon departs and we add Wiggins. I personally would see that as an upgrade. Now if Hawkins is for some reason ineligible, I could see the addition of another JUCO big. That would also give us three in the JR class then which would be nice. And then there's the question about Uwadiae since there's zero info on him and he's switched schools a few times. That's curious. If for some reason something happens there, I'm not sure what the staff would do with another 'ship. I guess in that scenario Armstead would make it 13.
          Of the 13 players you listed above by class, which one wouldn't get a scholarship if Armstead gets one? I know Baker is supposed to be getting one.

Comment

I don't think it's going to be an issue. We'll have people leave or not show up and won't have to play that game
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Something else I thought about. Ede was on scholarship this year. Since he left at semester, his scholarship became open. With Baker sitting there promised a scholarship (not to mention the talent of Joe and Malcolm) someone got a schollie second semester (or sooner depending on NCAA rules). It's possible that one of these guys got part or all of their "1 for 2, 1 for 3 or 1 for 5" schollie fullfilled this year making them a viable "walk-on" for next season. Perhaps it went like this;

HCGM: "As it turns out Malcolm, we did have an opening this year and we're going to go ahead and pay for your schooling this year. Next year we'll use your ship on someon to make the team around you better."

MA: "Sounds great coach!"
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                "Sixty-eight teams made the NCAA tournament, but each of them knows that if they want to return they need to recruit well. Here's a look at what each team in the South Region is losing after this year, what kind of recruiting class they're bringing in and what it means to their hopes of making future NCAA tournaments.

5. Wichita State Shockers

What they're losing: Gregg Marshall can flat-out coach. He's also got himself a staff that can recruit and they'd better, because the losses are hard to swallow. Stars Garrett Stutz, a first-team all-league pick, and Toure' Murry, honorable mention, exhaust their eligibility. So does first-team all-league pick Joe Ragland. Ouch, that's a lot of production and leadership.
                What they're adding: Speaking of leadership, Fred Van Vleet (Rockford, Ill./Auburn) is the Shockers' best signee, and the guard can go. Deontae Hawkins (Dayton, Ohio/Dunbar) can shoot it for a big and he'll play early. A center and two small forwards round out a strong class.
                What it equals: If Van Vleet and Hawkins can develop in two seasons, all is well. The best mid-major programs tend to feature older players, and the Shockers are replenishing talent, and it's going to take time."

Well, if you're going to write about this subject, not knowing who's a redshirt and who all is coming in makes it somewhat pointless. The gist of the WSU review was that "The best mid-major programs tend to feature older players" and we're not apparently doing that in his mind. The addition of Early and Armstead help that cause, particularly Armstead's D-I experience. Even Baker as a red-shirt helps as he has learned the system. And here's a novel idea, mid-majors can actually have good depth. VCU only has 1 senior and 2 juniors in their first 8 and they didn't do to bad. I think one will find that WSU's roster next year will be more experienced, with more depth than that team is this year.

Comment

Let's not forget about Joe Mitchell - junior - very productive in juco and was a scholarship player had he not left Ohio...
                  Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    Let's not forget about Joe Mitchell - junior - very productive in juco and was a scholarship player had he not left Ohio...
                    I'll believe it when I see it
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Im stoked! and u should be 2
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

IDK.. If this has been already posted, but I thought it was a good read....http://t.co/qN7S7lF7

Comment

The word of the the day is "infusion" of new incoming talent. In terms of quality depth, this infusion is the best ever since the "Marshall Plan" arrived at 21st and Hillside. We do indeed have a solid returning cast lead by Carl Hall and D-Will. Add to that mix 3 players that practiced with the team all last Season, and what we have is a competitive top 3 team in the Valley that can put up a solid fight to defend our Valley Championship.

Yes, Creighton will be picked number 1 by most everybody and rightly so. However, was they not picked to win it all last Season as well? That is why the games are played between the lines and not on paper. By Valley time, look for this team to begin to improve by 'leaps and bounds' as we define roles and begin to peak together.

We have nothing to fear with this team and we will be a very fun team to watch. Teams like Kentucky and VCU reloaded last Season with some young talent and had some fine results. Replacing our 5 key Seniors will take time. However, we have positioned ourself to make the very best of a huge task. So just how big of an infusion can we expect? Let's just say that SubGod22 does not at all seem worried and we need to all sleep well tonight.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Remember GRCOAT and the great recruiting class SIU had a few years ago?
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                              Remember GRCOAT and the great recruiting class SIU had a few years ago?
                              I think that most people would agree that the problem there was with the coaching not the talent evaluation.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X