Blue Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Chips

With wsu playing as great as they are right now and it being shown live on tv. Can't help but think that this will sooner than later help us reel in the top recruits,the 4 to 5 star guys. Could you image what type of program we would be??

I don't know if VanVleet has been given any stars yet, but I would think he would be close to 4 stars if not already.

Comment

We ventured down this road six years ago. Turgeon secured a post Sweet 16 commitment from a guy who was going to be a 4-star (until he signed with WSU). When those around him started whispering he could do better than a "mid-major", he was already looking for ways out of his commitment. We all know how that ended up. Evann Baker didn't turn out to be a high level recruit and unfortunately we never found out what Guy Alang Ntang could become.

Now, I'm not saying that Marshall can't do what Turgeon could not - fully capitalize on the achievements and publicity. But outside of Gonzaga and Memphis, no other program outside the power conferences has been able to parlay their success into consistently improved recruiting classes. George Mason, Butler and VCU should all have seen bumps in recruiting. George Mason is the only one we can test at this point and I think they had a temporary bump that got them back to a strong contender last year. It's too early to tell on Butler and VCU, but we should know in a couple of years.

Maybe WSU has all the elements to be the exception. Marshall, and as importantly, his staff, has put together quite the class just from NIT success. We have the fan support, facilities and amenities to at least rival some of the low-to-mid power-conference teams. And right now I think we can credit recruiting just as much to the stable of assistant coaches as we can to Marshall. So who knows?

Comment

VCU's 2012 class has 2 players who were ranked 4-stars by the major recruiting services. 1 is currently ranked 4-stars (#95) by ESPN and Scout (4-star, #21 SF) in Jordan Burgess. The other is Justin Tuoyo who was a 4-star and the #84 player in the Rivals150 when he committed to VCU and completely dropped off those rankings a week later.

Jordan Burgess:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4453312

Justin Tuoyo:

o7vofa.jpg

Comment

Like your post @RoyalShock:, but, in all fairness, we really don't know what Evann would have been like. His parting didn't go well and he opted for a lower conference team closer to home. In his freshman year, he played almost 30 mpg, 11 ppg, shot well, and may have been freshman PoY in that league. Unfortunately, injury ended his career after that. Yes, probably not a high level recruit, but at least a very solid one.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            We ventured down this road six years ago. Turgeon secured a post Sweet 16 commitment from a guy who was going to be a 4-star (until he signed with WSU). When those around him started whispering he could do better than a "mid-major", he was already looking for ways out of his commitment. We all know how that ended up. Evann Baker didn't turn out to be a high level recruit and unfortunately we never found out what Guy Alang Ntang could become.

Now, I'm not saying that Marshall can't do what Turgeon could not - fully capitalize on the achievements and publicity. But outside of Gonzaga and Memphis, no other program outside the power conferences has been able to parlay their success into consistently improved recruiting classes. George Mason, Butler and VCU should all have seen bumps in recruiting. George Mason is the only one we can test at this point and I think they had a temporary bump that got them back to a strong contender last year. It's too early to tell on Butler and VCU, but we should know in a couple of years.

Maybe WSU has all the elements to be the exception. Marshall, and as importantly, his staff, has put together quite the class just from NIT success. We have the fan support, facilities and amenities to at least rival some of the low-to-mid power-conference teams. And right now I think we can credit recruiting just as much to the stable of assistant coaches as we can to Marshall. So who knows?
            Everything that I am seeing points to HC3GM being a better recruiter than HCMT. Actually much better. If I am right, shouldn't that translate to a much better upside to our recent success than we had in 2006?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Player improvement is better also - of course, if you recruit some "higher level" players, you may not get 4 years out of them. I really like the approach of recruiting players that will stay - red shirt the first year - get a very mature senior in their 4th or 5th year in the program. I also really like the quality of individuals coach is recruiting also.

Comment

Put it like this,once wsu passes the sweet and makes it to the elite. Then we will really catch the eye of players and really turn some heads,and if marshal is willing to stay longer maybe wsu can either move to better conference or become an elite program!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Everything that I am seeing points to HC3GM being a better recruiter than HCMT. Actually much better. If I am right, shouldn't that translate to a much better upside to our recent success than we had in 2006?
                  This is the understatement of the year. Remember how MT left us....and look at A&M this year. I think MT is a good game coach, but a p!ss poor recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                    This is the understatement of the year. Remember how MT left us....and look at A&M this year. I think MT is a good game coach, but a p!ss poor recruiter.
                    Agreed. I'll give Turg all the credit for turning this program around after the disaster that was the 1990s, but wherever he goes he leaves a bumpy wake.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

We don't have to look any further than SIU to see that stars aren't everything. They went away from the philosophy that made them successful to sign a couple blue chip recruits and its destroyed their program and will cost CLo his job.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Under Turgeon I think Boyle had the greatest affect on recruiting, sans the Denzel Bowles situation. That's why he hired Spinelli to replace Boyle.

I do believe Marshall is a better recruiter than Turgeon. How much, I don't know, since it seems like Jans/Ford/Heiar have been responsible for landing several of our prized recruits. What I do know is that the current staff appears to have capitalized more on an NIT championship than the previous staff did on a Sweet 16. If this team makes it at least that far and the staff doesn't suffer more than one loss in the offseason, I'll be pumped to see who they can bring in.

I expect Jans will find a head coaching gig after this year.

Comment

Jans was up for at least one job last year. He deserves the opportunity to be a head coach and he'll be a good one. But I love what he's been able to do here with 3G. If we do lose one of the assistants, I have no doubt that 3G will bring in another relentless recruiter and coach.

I'm excited to see what happens in the next few recruiting classes.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

There certainly is no reason not to expect an equal if not even a better recruiting class in quality next year based on the team's performance and nationwide publicity. Stack two consecutive excellent classes back to back and look out.

Comment

Why did we never go after this kid kiwi gardner????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWAeY...e_gdata_player

Comment

Working...
                              X