Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Pleasant 6'8 F Abilene Christian Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching the NCAA tournament highlights I have to agree with most of what's been said here.

- He is a taller, better shooting (at a lower volume) version of Trey Wade, but turns the ball over more.
    - His defense is questionable, based on a small sample size.
    - It's next to impossible to gauge just how good a rebounder he is, but I think he'll find it harder to rebound in the AAC at the same rate he did in the Southland.

I can't say I'm to the level of being excited for Pleasant's addition to the roster, but he does fill a need of having depth at the 4, and at least has the height to play the 5 in short stretches if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      50% free throws are okay if they are - and ones
      Actually he shoots closer to 60% of his free throws. However, that is one of his stats that make him difficult to analyze. If he's such a good 3 point shooter (which he doesn't shoot too many), why are free throws difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Actually he shoots closer to 60% of his free throws. However, that is one of his stats that make him difficult to analyze. If he's such a good 3 point shooter (which he doesn't shoot too many), why are free throws difficult?
        The basket’s too close?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

The basket’s too close?
          So, using that logic, he's worse on layups? I agree with Royal's statement above.

Comment

If he can hit open looks at a good clip, put the ball on the floor when/if need be, grab 5 or more boards a game and is willing to be coached up on defense then he can fill a necessary role and I’m excited about him. They don’t all have to be all stars.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              If he can hit open looks at a good clip, put the ball on the floor when/if need be, grab 5 or more boards a game and is willing to be coached up on defense then he can fill a necessary role and I’m excited about him. They don’t all have to be all stars.
              I'm not anti-Pleasant. Just not overly excited.

His size is something CJ doesn't have, but otherwise, I know that CJ, while rough around the edges, has a high ceiling and is young (3 years left), If CJ can improve his shooting by making 500 shots a day in the gym during the summer, I'm just as excited about him.

Comment

At least Joe knows what it’s like to hit big FTs

Oh, and win a game in the NCAA tournament.
                The Assman

Comment

His size is something CJ doesn't have, but otherwise, I know that CJ, while rough around the edges, has a high ceiling and is young (3 years left), If CJ can improve his shooting by making 500 shots a day in the gym during the summer, I'm just as excited about him.
                  I too am excited about CJ. I think he’s just a natural scorer, athletic and willing defender, and tenacious rebounder who needs a little polish.

Three pointers, drives, put backs, cuts to the basket, get to the free throw line. You name it, he scored that way last year. I’m glad he’s a shocker for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I too am excited about CJ. I think he’s just a natural scorer, athletic and willing defender, and tenacious rebounder who needs a little polish.

Three pointers, drives, put backs, cuts to the basket, get to the free throw line. You name it, he scored that way last year. I’m glad he’s a shocker for years to come.
                    Yeap the fact that many of us are excited about Pleasant doesn't mean that were less excited about the potential of CJ. I love CJ. He has what you can't teach. He has some serious mojo. And everything you stated above about CJ is all true. But if this Shocker Team is to become what we all hope for, its going to take everybody pulling in the same direction. I sure hope fans and players don't get hung up on who starts the games.

I was really impressed with the job the Coach did with Baylor. He didn't have 5 star players but they kicked everybody butt. Guys came off the bench shooting and taking no prisoners. They clearly were interested in a goal bigger than themselves. And it is also clear that the only reason the chicken hawks beat them was because of virus pause and playing in AFH were they cheat. Go Shocks.

Comment

I love CJ too, but Joe is allowed to make 500 shots a day as well, right?

Comment

I hope Joe is good, he’s not terribly exciting to me though. Seems to be a solid addition but we need another big 4 that can also play the 5.

Comment

Competition and several legitimate/talented options should be the goal at every position. If there is no fear of being beaten out for your spot, there is no motivation (or at least a chance of) to get better.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            Competition and several legitimate/talented options should be the goal at every position. If there is no fear of being beaten out for your spot, there is no motivation (or at least a chance of) to get better.
                            Hopefully we are landing guys who are inherently motivated to improve (see Mo this off-season) but your point that iron sharpens iron is well taken.

As the roster stands now I think we have multiple options at each position.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I hope Joe is good, he’s not terribly exciting to me though. Seems to be a solid addition but we need another big 4 that can also play the 5.
                              With Dex, Monzy, and Pleasant all available at the 4 I don’t feel like that’s a position of need right now. I wouldn’t be against adding another guy but I think we’ll be hard pressed to convince a game ready plug and play guy to come here given the existing roster make up. A freshman project? Maybe. That’s just my .02 though.

I think the missing piece is a long, mobile center project who can come in and provide 5-10 minutes of defense and rebounding this year while hopefully developing his game for the future. I think Muscadin could be perfect for that role but maybe he doesn’t see it that way or wants to play elsewhere. Regardless, that’s the type of player I would be targeting if it were up to me. Of course always on the look out for some can’t miss player to fall into my lap.

Comment

Like othesr have said, he is a good addition, that gives us a little depth and can shoot the 3 a little. Happy to have him! I believe the first two commitments have the potential to make a bigger impact, but that isn't a knock on Pleasant.

Comment

Working...
                                X