2021-22 Scholarship Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Nope .. but with 1300+ players with DI experience able to be picked from .. it's probably a lower priority.
    This. And the fact that a lot of the quality Freshman were picked through last year when the Shox were essentially without a permanent coach and very much in flux, so WSU missed out on some that way.

Comment

I like the transfers we signed a lot. But if this is the new world I'll miss seeing the Bakers, VanVleets, Cottons ,Stutz and many others come in as freshmen and develop. Would we ever get a VanVleet sophomore transfer? I kinda doubt it.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Nope .. but with 1300+ players with DI experience able to be picked from .. it's probably a lower priority.
        The problem with high schoolers is that with the new rules, anyone has a one time free transfer, but transfers have to sit out the next time they transfer. I think that first time transfers will be the priority in future recruiting. I also think that transfers will lessen after this year but not enough to totally change that priority. Top 150 players who are transferring will be the future highly contested recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
          I like the transfers we signed a lot. But if this is the new world I'll miss seeing the Bakers, VanVleets, Cottons ,Stutz and many others come in as freshmen and develop. Would we ever get a VanVleet sophomore transfer? I kinda doubt it.
          I think we’ll still see those type of players. Heck, we have Dex, Tyson and Mo on the roster who have been here three + years.

Monzy will be a three or four year guy depending on how he uses this free year of eligibility. McFarlane will also come in as a sophomore.

I feel like we always had a pretty diverse roster under Marshall - Freshmen, JUCO, transfer, etc.

Comment

If I had to guess, with all the D1 transfers, I bet there are going to be plenty of good HS and JUCO recruits that fall through the cracks.

Thanks to the core we have returning and the three guys we’ve snagged so far we have the luxury of being patient and trying to unearth one or more of those type of guys as the recruiting season continues.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I think we’ll still see those type of players. Heck, we have Dex, Tyson and Mo on the roster who have been here three + years.

Monzy will be a three or four year guy depending on how he uses this free year of eligibility. McFarlane will also come in as a sophomore.

I feel like we always had a pretty diverse roster under Marshall - Freshmen, JUCO, transfer, etc.
              Yes, but I was speaking to having no HS players signed this year. Hopefully we'll see a couple.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Regarding HS recruits, bear with me here as I think while I type.

Current freshmen, including freshmen transfers, will also be freshmen next year. So they have 4 years of remaining eligibility. Correct? And current HS seniors, who would be freshmen next year, will also have 4 years of eligibility. Right?

So, what is the point of even recruiting HS seniors right now? Wouldn't you prioritize freshmen transfers, since they already have a season of D1 college experience under their belts?

Also, since any current freshmen on a roster will be freshmen next year, adding too many HS recruits could create a large imbalance in class size on a roster.

Seems like HS recruiting could take a back seat this year, and that having a stable of incoming high school recruits might not even be a thing this year for many college programs. If anything, that makes me feel bad for the kids.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                  Regarding HS recruits, bear with me here as I think while I type.

Current freshmen, including freshmen transfers, will also be freshmen next year. So they have 4 years of remaining eligibility. Correct? And current HS seniors, who would be freshmen next year, will also have 4 years of eligibility. Right?

So, what is the point of even recruiting HS seniors right now? Wouldn't you prioritize freshmen transfers, since they already have a season of D1 college experience under their belts?

Also, since any current freshmen on a roster will be freshmen next year, adding too many HS recruits could create a large imbalance in class size on a roster.

Seems like HS recruiting could take a back seat this year, and that having a stable of incoming high school recruits might not even be a thing this year for many college programs. If anything, that makes me feel bad for the kids.
                  There's also the possibility that if a Fr doesn't anticipate major minutes by their So season, they're gone after 1 year. Then that scholarship has been pretty much wasted. The school has the expense of the scholarship, the "baby sitting" of making the adjustment to college, the adjustment to D1 practices and games, teaching a system from scratch, and all the other stuff required to prepare Fr for D1 ball. Then the player is gone because somewhere there will be a team who needs someone at their position.

I expect to see some pretty fair HS guys end up at low majors and mid majors, but they will only be there one year before they choose the school they really want to play for.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Two scholarships left. No glaring holes in the roster. Very good place to be. PG depth would be ideal then either hold a scholarship or go for the fences on best available.

Comment

Two scholarships left. No glaring holes in the roster. Very good place to be. PG depth would be ideal then either hold a scholarship or go for the fences on best available.
                        Another PG please!

Also, one more big and maybe Jackson can play the 3 with Ricky and Dex can play the 2. Etienne can prove himself as a PG for the NBA.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Updated. I like the balance in the classes now. Would like to see at least one of the remaining ships used on a senior grad transfer. Not sure how many of those that are worthy are left however.

Comment

Need a sniper

Comment

I like what Coach Brown and staff have done so far on the recruiting trail. Always difficult to really assess a recruiting class until you see how they actually perform but this class has some intriguing potential and is a nice mix of players and certainly beefs up and hopefully improves the front court.

Replacing Trey Wade, Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, Jaden Seymour and Josaphat Bilau with Joe Pleasant, Matt McFarlane and Kenny Pohto certainly feels like an upgrade.

We'll see what Qua Grant can bring to the table but he may be the most intriguing of the 4 recruits so far.

Reel in Abdoulaye Thiam to add to the mix then you can afford to be ultra patient and picky with the final scholarship.

Hopefully, the team chemistry will develop at a high level as well. But all-in-all I really like the raw material and potential seems to be in place.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 6, 2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

From The Athletic yesterday -- Sounds like IB is looking for a high school guard and likely won't use the 13th scholarship. I've heard of several other coaches electing to only use 12 this coming season.

As the only true point guard on the roster, Porter should have an opportunity to get minutes. Brown is still after another guard, but he seems committed to his older guys.

“I need a young guy to groom,” he said, adding he hopes that’ll be a high school recruit. He doesn’t plan to use his 13th scholarship.

Comment

Working...
                                X