Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Akbar SF, To Midland JC

"Originally Posted by 1972Shocker

On the Coach's show tonight Coach Jans, who was sitting in for 3G, said that Coach Marshall was in Dayton tonight watching Teddy and checking out another player. Obvioulsy he could not say who that was. I don't know if it was another Dunbar player of one of the player's on the opposing team."

IMO for HCGM to go to Dayton at this time, it's Gary Akbar. Akbar verballed to Cleveland State in November but remains unsigned. It's been publicized that the reason is to add a couple of points to his test score. It's possible that this has already been accomplished. However, it's also well known that Teddy Hawkins, Akbar, and for that matter Creighton's Andre Yates would like to play together in college. As we all know, Yates did sign with Creighton. This is Yates' first year at Dunbar. Teddy and Gary have been teammates at Dunbar throughout high school although they played on different AAU teams. Teddy and Yates played AAU together on the strong Ohio Red team.

Akbar led Dunbar in scoring last night with 19. That's right at his season average. Two games ago against Hay Hi, he had 22 points and 17 rebounds and Teddy Hawkins led the team in scoring with 29 points. Last year as a junior, Akbar averaged 10.6 ppg and 9.8 rpg. Akbar is a 6-4 to 6-5 SF, although he doesn't like to put a position by his name. He verballed to Akron for a short time last summer before giving Cleveland State a verbal. He is probably a much underrated two star by the scouting sites. In the article about last night's game, Dunbar's coach calls him a man among boys at times.

In college I expect Akbar to be a tough, do all, slashing type of SG/SF wing that will do a lot of damage on the inside. Remember that @WuDrWu: has already called him a stud. In the video below, which has already been posted in Teddy's thread, Gary is #2.

Last edited by tropicalshox; December 21, 2011, 06:15 AM.
    In the fast lane

Doesn't look like anyone likes to play defense very much. Oh well that will change if they want to play at a higher level.

Comment

FromTwitter:

@CSUVikingsHoops Brian Snow from Scout posted Gary Akbar backed off his commit shortly after giving it. Is CSU still in good position 4 him?
      Last edited by tropicalshox; January 6, 2012, 01:41 AM.
      In the fast lane

Comment

Anything to see here, Doc?

Comment

I'm going to keep an eye on the Akbar situation, but I believe he will go to Cleveland State if he qualifies.
          In the fast lane

Comment

And if he doesn't qualify, we have laid some groundwork to add him in a couple of years when he is coming out of juco.

Comment

From what I can make out from the Cleveland State board, Teddy Hawkins' teammate at Dunbar, Gary Akbar is not qualifying. It appears this has been known since late April. He never did sign a LOI with them.

Edit- On the other hand I just saw a tweet from the CSU reporter for ESPN saying Akbar would be an incoming freshman for the Vikes.
              Last edited by tropicalshox; June 2, 2012, 04:46 AM.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Akbar to Midland JC.
                In the fast lane

Comment

He's at San Jacinto JC this year and today signed a LOI with Kent State.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                  X