Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock
    I saw Jans tweet this morning

Great Day at Shocker Nation thus far...still some Major Work 2 do tho!!
    and wondered if that meant there had been some good recruiting news. Didn't think it was because the CAC coffee was extra special today.
    I believe he twitted that right after the visit with Ellis.
    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
      Originally posted by SB Shock
      I saw Jans tweet this morning

Great Day at Shocker Nation thus far...still some Major Work 2 do tho!!
      and wondered if that meant there had been some good recruiting news. Didn't think it was because the CAC coffee was extra special today.
      I believe he twitted that right after the visit with Ellis.
      You are correct.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Juco Junction's Bret Swanson on Watson from Juco Junctions's message board:

"Yes I have seen him play about 6-7 times. I had the story just couldnt get off the phone to post. That is why I am not a big twitter fan. Watson is very athletic power forward with great hands - nice drop step in the post and dunks on u. Earl wont play outside the paint and usually plays about 3 feet in and is very effective."
        In the fast lane

Comment

I'm intrigued. Not a fan of going the JUCO route, but with his size and athleticism.....I'm intrigued. This could put him in the same class as White (if he doesn't redshirt). That'll make for a crowded position when we land Perry. But depth is nice.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            I'm intrigued. Not a fan of going the JUCO route, but with his size and athleticism.....I'm intrigued. This could put him in the same class as White (if he doesn't redshirt). That'll make for a crowded position when we land Perry. But depth is nice.
            At that weight, and given that the reports are that he plays a lot taller than his height, Watson could certainly see time at the 5 as well as the 4, much as JT did.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
              At that weight, and given that the reports are that he plays a lot taller than his height, Watson could certainly see time at the 5 as well as the 4, much as JT did.
              That crossed my mind as well. I know we'd like a taller guy at the 5 (Stutz, Ehimen, Henry) but with his bulk and athleticism he could probably make up for it. And Henry will still be a RFR/SO and who knows how far he'll have developed.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Plus Perry can play some SF. I love the 7 footers we've been getting, but a 6-8 250 lb athlete can be ridiculously effective as an MVC center.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                  Plus Perry can play some SF. I love the 7 footers we've been getting, but a 6-8 250 lb athlete can be ridiculously effective as an MVC center.
                  I don't want someone who can be effective in the MVC. I want players who will be effective on the national scene and in the tournament. That doesn't have to be 7', but I'd feel better if we weren't relying on 6'7" centers.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Ill take an athletic 6'7 center over any 7 foot center and if this guy can pound down low im all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                      I don't want someone who can be effective in the MVC. I want players who will be effective on the national scene and in the tournament. That doesn't have to be 7', but I'd feel better if we weren't relying on 6'7" centers.
                      A guy with that kind of bulk that can play above the rim can play center effectively outside of the Valley as well as in it, IMHO. The ability to push a guy off the block as important as, if not more so, height.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I don't question any of that. It's a case of being easier to shoot over as well. And I'm not saying any of this is the case with Watson. I'm glad we'll also have another athletic 7 footer on the roster as well. Ideally though, I'd like to see 6'9" or taller at the 5. There are always exeptions to the rule.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Who is this kid? What are his numbers? Should we be excited about siging him?
                          I've never heard anything about him.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
                            Well he is just beginning his junior college career so we don't have any JC stats on him. Everything we've heard from Bossi, as well as hearing about his game and his size, is very exciting. He should be a significant impact player.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker

"Watson dunked every single thing that he caught close to the rim. He had four dunks along with nine rebounds in the first quarter alone."

http://twitter.com/#!/rodgerbohn/statuses/60892393033048065

A quick google search returned some of the above. From what I gathered:

1) Watson is a BIG force underneith and DUNKS EVERYTHING. I see him as an upgraded version of Jerome Hamilton...hopefully he'll work out better, but I believe this kid is rediculously talented. Listed as 6-5 205 going into his first senior year. One year later, in Prep School, he was listed at 6-8, 240.

2) Watson might already be 20 years old. He went to prep school and is now on his way to JUCO. He has a lot of work to do academically if he is going to play for the Shockers.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

From Sully today. Try to read this without smiling.

Big on the blocks —

Queen City Prep Academy boys basketball coach Tony Taylor swears Earl Watson once blocked 42 shots in a game.

"You can look it up online," he said.

If you find it, let me know.

However, there's no doubting that Watson (6-foot-7, 240 pounds) is an athletic specimen. Watson orally committed to WSU — for a second time — last week. He is a freshman at Chipola (Fla.) College and plans to join the Shockers for the 2013-14 season after spending two seasons in the junior college.

Taylor said Watson averaged 26 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks as a senior. Chipola coach Jake Headrick can vouch for Watson's leaping and quickness as a post player. He compared his style to former NBA star Charles Barkley.

"He plays extremely hard," Headrick said. "Very, very, very explosive. He is a monster athlete who finishes everything above the rim."
                                Headrick said Watson can use the two seasons at Chipola to develop. His post moves need polishing. He got a late start on the sport, playing seriously for the past four years.

Headrick said Watson first committed to WSU as a senior in high school. He didn't qualify academically, so he must graduate from junior college before playing at an NCAA Division I school. That helps explain why he took the unusual move of committing to WSU before his freshman season.

"Last year, he got really educated about the program there," Headrick said. "He really likes Coach (Gregg) Marshall. Several schools that have come in and inquired about him, he said to just tell those coaches 'I'm going to Wichita State.'"

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/09/18/202...#ixzz1YJXIMi5q
                                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                                X