X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Last ten games he averaged:

5.7 ppg, 4.4 ast, 2.1 turnovers
    He definitely seemed to settle down more towards the end of the season and wasn't committing as many of the painfully boneheaded turnovers that he did during the rest of the season.

But I need to see more before I truly believe/trust that he can be the guy to run the show at the point on a good team.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

He definitely seemed to settle down more towards the end of the season and wasn't committing as many of the painfully boneheaded turnovers that he did during the rest of the season.

But I need to see more before I truly believe/trust that he can be the guy to run the show at the point on a good team.
      Comparison with his first 13 games:

1.8 assists, 2.3 turnovers per game.

The last ten games he turned it around substantially.

Comment

Cortes last 10 games of the year, which is more than 1/3 of his season since he started later:

44 Assists - 21 TO. Was still slow shooting. Not saying he is for sure an A+ option - but "bench player at best" is probably not accurate with how he finished. Would love to see a full season where he could be engaged from the start.

Still need another capable PG and am 100% fine recruiting over him.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Comparison with his first 13 games:

1.8 assists, 2.3 turnovers per game.

The last ten games he turned it around substantially.
          Also key to note:

Last ten games average KenPom rank of opponent: 156
          # of games vs teams better than KP 100:1

First 13 games average: 106
          # of games vs teams better than KP 100: 8

Cortes looking better directly correlated to us playing bad teams.

So I'm not sold that he turned completely turned the corner yet and should be the starting PG. Right now, he should be considered bench PG at best with the ability to prove it otherwise next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Also key to note:

Last ten games average KenPom rank of opponent: 156
            # of games vs teams better than KP 100:1

First 13 games average: 106
            # of games vs teams better than KP 100: 8

Cortes looking better directly correlated to us playing bad teams.

So I'm not sold that he turned completely turned the corner yet and should be the starting PG. Right now, he should be considered bench PG at best with the ability to prove it otherwise next year.
            How was his game against the top-100 KenPom team?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

How was his game against the top-100 KenPom team?
              Did he only play one game last year?

That game was good. 11 pts, 5 asst, 1 TO in 31 min

Two games before that against KP ~140 he had 3 pts, 4 asst, 3 TO, 4 fouls in 19 minutes of play time.

ironically the FIRST time he played Memphis he had a good stat line too. 9 pts, 4 asst, 2 TO in only 17 minutes. Memphis seemed to be a good matchup for him.

Honest question do you REALLY think he turned the corner because of a single game? or are you just trying to be an ahole because it was me that posted those stats?

If its the first one, are you looking for recruits that only had a single good game vs good competition?

Comment

Did he only play one game last year?

That game was good. 11 pts, 5 asst, 1 TO in 31 min

Two games before that against KP ~140 he had 3 pts, 4 asst, 3 TO, 4 fouls in 19 minutes of play time.

ironically the FIRST time he played Memphis he had a good stat line too. 9 pts, 4 asst, 2 TO in only 17 minutes. Memphis seemed to be a good matchup for him.

Honest question do you REALLY think he turned the corner because of a single game? or are you just trying to be an ahole because it was me that posted those stats?

If it’s the first one, are you looking for recruits that only had a single good game vs good competition?
                I think if you’re going to pretend that his first 15 games are somehow more relevant than his final 10 (Which is a pretty huge stretch IMO because of his late start) Because of a 50-team differential in KenPom average.

Then I certainly think how he preformed against the best of said schedule in the final 10 games is at least noteworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I think if you’re going to pretend that his first 15 games are somehow more relevant than his final 10 (Which is a pretty huge stretch IMO because of his late start) Because of a 50-team differential in KenPom average.

Then I certainly think how he preformed against the best of said schedule in the final 10 games is at least noteworthy.
                  50 spot difference in KP is huge. 7 more games vs Top 100 is huge. THAT is noteworthy. How he did in a single game might be worthy of footnote at best.

​​​​​​You can't ignore the difference in opponent quality unless you are trying to convince yourself of something.

Did he get better? Yes. Did he show enough that we should be happy if we are already planning on him starting at PG next year? No absolutely not

We have 2.25 years of bad Cortes to go off of. I'm not going to ignore that because he had a good game versus a Memphis team that was already broken. I'm not saying we should be running him out the door. Like I said in the original post that you ignored... He's earned the ability to be our backup PG next year with the chance to prove he can overtake whoever we recruit over him

Comment

50 spot difference in KP is huge. 7 more games vs Top 100 is huge. THAT is noteworthy. How he did in a single game might be worthy of footnote at best.

​​​​​​You can't ignore the difference in opponent quality unless you are trying to convince yourself of something.

Did he get better? Yes. Did he show enough that we should be happy if we are already planning on him starting at PG next year? No absolutely not

We have 2.25 years of bad Cortes to go off of. I'm not going to ignore that because he had a good game versus a Memphis team that was already broken. I'm not saying we should be running him out the door. Like I said in the original post that you ignored... He's earned the ability to be our backup PG next year with the chance to prove he can overtake whoever we recruit over him
                    I do mostly agree with your last 2 paragraphs.

Comment

• I see him starting Cortes and McBride together in the background if he commits. I like X. He’s not a PG but he’s good in the lane finishing tough shots. I like Beverly needs to improve 3 pt % because he attacks the basket well
                      hopefully Zion and TJ can take over as Sophmores

Comment

• Back to McBride. I’d love to sign him, but I also don’t want Mills waiting around for him like he possibly did with Abmas. Keep recruiting and sign the kids that want to be here.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                          I wonder if McBride might make an announcement tomorrow before the Dinner in the Champions Club tomorrow evening. That announcement might help raise the enthusiasm for Saal and Mills efforts to jump start the $500 NIL effort. Otherwise I think the Dinner and effort to raise NIL dollars might be a tougher sell.
                          I guess no news of value came out of the event this evening?

Comment

• Saw a YouTube video of Mills on KGSO. He mentioned how he spoke to 2 guys. One said, "If you can give me $X I will play". Mills couldn't give him that. The 2nd player said, "I just want to play where I can help a team win." Mills mentioned you can guess which player he gravitated to.

Wonder if 1 of them was McBride. And if so, which one it was?

Also mentioned he is looking for 4 from the portal.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I'd guess that McBride is the $X guy.

Maybe npo school will give him $X. Sooner or later reality is going to set in for some of these players.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                I'd guess that McBride is the $X guy.

Maybe npo school will give him $X. Sooner or later reality is going to set in for some of these players.
                                Nah. But I bet reality sets in for the folks funding the Collectives.

Comment

Working...
                                X