Issac McBride 6'1 PG Oral Roberts Transfer back to Oral Roberts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I think McBride could be instrumental in landing those pieces. McBride committing soon let's HCPM focus on filling out the holes that asiseeit is talking about. The longer McBride waits to commit (if ever), the worse it is for him (regardless where he goes) and us (regardless his final decision).

This roster will compete at the top end of the AAC:

Ballard, McBride, Bell, DeGray, Cortes

I think with some quality backups and barring long term injuries, that roster makes the NCAA tourney.
    I think McBride plays a similar role as Cortes, but a bigger scoring threat. McBride probably moves Cortes to the bench. We still need more shooters.

Comment

Probably not the NIT

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Probably not the NIT
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think McBride could be instrumental in landing those pieces. McBride committing soon let's HCPM focus on filling out the holes that asiseeit is talking about. The longer McBride waits to commit (if ever), the worse it is for him (regardless where he goes) and us (regardless his final decision).

I think with some quality backups and barring long term injuries, that roster makes the NCAA tourney.
          That lineup isn't getting it done. Two or three of those guys aren't really starting material on a good AAC team.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That lineup isn't getting it done. Two or three of those guys aren't really starting material on a good AAC team.
            We just disagree.

When Bell is allowed to play at the 2 with a competent PG behind him he's effective and his numbers will improve accordingly. He started looking to share more and he's certainly capable of playing at the AAC level when not asked to run the point. He's a good defender.

We speculated early on that Cortes would take a half season to come up to speed and then show us something come tourney time and that's exactly what happened. I'll admit it was ugly at times, but I think he's quite a bit better than we saw most of the season -- but McBride covers that concern if not. He's definitely at least a high quality AAC backup PG worst case.

Comment

We just disagree.

When Bell is allowed to play at the 2 with a competent PG behind him he's effective and his numbers will improve accordingly. He started looking to share more and he's certainly capable of playing at the AAC level when not asked to run the point. He's a good defender.

We speculated early on that Cortes would take a half season to come up to speed and then show us something come tourney time and that's exactly what happened. I'll admit it was ugly at times, but I think he's quite a bit better than we saw most of the season -- but McBride covers that concern if not. He's definitely at least a high quality AAC backup PG worst case.
              Cortez is the wildcard. I need more than a handful of games at the end of the season to believe he can be a quality starting PG. Bell is a good backup level player in the AAC, same with DeGray. If we want to be an NCAA team next year, we would still need to recruit over those two as well as find another quality center as Ballard can't play more than 20-25 minutes tops.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Good luck finding a "quality" center willing to play 2nd fiddle. A "quality" physical 6'9 PF who can play center also and has a back to the basket game would fill two needs

Comment

If by "top end" you mean top half of the AAC .. then sure I agree. But I'd be shocked if they got the double bye in the AAC tourney. (Top 4)

Ballard and McBride would be good. Bell is a maybe good depending on how he adjusts to his role. Degray and Cortes are bench guys at best.

Comment

I don't see why McBride and Cortes can't play together. McBride's numbers suggest more SG than PG.

Comment

Here is my take on DeGray ...

He has the frame, strength, and mentality to be a bruiser. He also has a good 3 point shot that he reserves for quality takes (which is excellent), a good jumper, and can finish at the rim. He has the ability to take over a game.

He needs to work on:

a) Just like CPjr he needs to keep his mind in EVERY single play. He checks out mentally. Like FVV said about Oubre .. DeGray gets caught sleeping. Acy knows that at the pro+ level an emphasis is about staying checked in every single second you are on the court. If he can get DeGray to stay checked in, DeGray can be a problem for opponents.

b) He needs to improve his fitness this off season with interval training. His fitness is okay, but it needs to be top notch. I'm not saying he needs to be running half marathons and shed his muscle. He just needs to hit interval training and the improved breathing and recovery rate will help keep him mentally focused.

c) He needs to work on defense, but honestly the entire team does. It's a team coordination problem more than an individual ability problem.

Comment

I just think RD is a little small height wise and needs better consistency. He is too streaky to be a dependable starter. Hope we can recruit over him but he makes a good back up.

Comment

RD is similar to Cortes in that he didn't get to play the full season. I think RD is likely better than even what we saw at the end of the year.

He's probably too small to play the 5, but I don't remember a game where he was obviously undersized. We need another 4, but I wouldn't be opposed to him being the starter. I don't think the 4 is our issue as much as finding shooters at the 1/2/3.

Comment

Of the regulars, RD had the best FG% on the team who was not playing the 5 and his 3pt% was 3rd, ever so slightly less than Ridgnal for 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Cortez is the wildcard. I need more than a handful of games at the end of the season to believe he can be a quality starting PG. Bell is a good backup level player in the AAC, same with DeGray. If we want to be an NCAA team next year, we would still need to recruit over those two as well as find another quality center as Ballard can't play more than 20-25 minutes tops.
                              Not sure we even got a handful of good Cortes games. It was really just those 2 games in the AAC tourney. I will add on Cortes that most players that are as bad as him have the amount positive impact they create overstated on their good nights, but the good version of him is a legitimately impactful player with valuable traits for a PG. I'm open to some optimism on him but banking on his production as a part of what will make next year's team go wouldn't be something I'm willing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SshockerR View Post

Not sure we even got a handful of good Cortes games. It was really just those 2 games in the AAC tourney. I will add on Cortes that most players that are as bad as him have the amount positive impact they create overstated on their good nights, but the good version of him is a legitimately impactful player with valuable traits for a PG. I'm open to some optimism on him but banking on his production as a part of what will make next year's team go wouldn't be something I'm willing to do.
                                Last ten games he averaged:

5.7 ppg, 4.4 ast, 2.1 turnovers

Comment

Working...
                                X