No announcement yet.

Rejean "Boogie" Ellis 6'2 CG 2019 to Duke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well SBT, I think you and I are going to have to disagree on this. It’s been a while since the NIT, but as I recall JB was awful in the tournament and Torres played way more minutes than he should have because we were desperate for anybody that could play the point. I will grant you that ES was better late in the season, but was still terribly inconsistent. He might have 15 points one game and 2 the next. As much as many were always disparaging SHJ, you could pretty much always count on him getting 10-15 points. We need consistency out of the two returners.

Im not saying our two returning guards can’t develop into good players but they have a ways to go before I’m ready to declare them the answer. Hopefully things will play out well for them next season.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to look a little more at efficiencies. Had JB taken the same number of shots that SHJ took, efficiencies say that JB would have scored almost 2 more points a game than SHJ.

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
    Well SBT, I think you and I are going to have to disagree on this. It’s been a while since the NIT, but as I recall JB was awful in the tournament and Torres played way more minutes than he should have because we were desperate for anybody that could play the point. I will grant you that ES was better late in the season, but was still terribly inconsistent. He might have 15 points one game and 2 the next. As much as many were always disparaging SHJ, you could pretty much always count on him getting 10-15 points. We need consistency out of the two returners.

Im not saying our two returning guards can’t develop into good players but they have a ways to go before I’m ready to declare them the answer. Hopefully things will play out well for them next season.
    I assume you remember J. Griffin as a frosh?

This kid just beat his assist record in probably what was half the starts. He would have shattered the record if he started from game one, but truthfully he really wasn't ready game 1 in November.

You can disagree for sure, but I'm agreeing with the sentiment expressed by the players and coaches in the link I attached (did you read it?). Notice the article date was April 1, several games into the NIT? There wasn't anyone second guessing his being named starter half way through the season and what it meant to the team, based on the response of aforementioned players and coaches. Even after some games in the NIT.

But notice I said "good" when assessing his contributions to the team. Not great. Not frosh AA. Just g-o-o-d. You think maybe he might get there (good) someday I presume? Fair enough. However I'll take GGG's word when he says Jamarius can be 1st team all conference before he's through.

So, with our current crop of guards, including the incoming ones, Ellis was not in any way shape or form a "need" for the team. Like our new poster expressed in this thread "the fit just ain't right." No doubt.

Comment

I don’t second guess JB being the starter. Who else was it going to be? The only other true point guard was Torres and he is a D2 level player. Yes, JB did improve throughout the season. I’m just saying there is a lot of room for more improvement. Specifically:
      1. 3 point shooting (22% ?) taking primarily unguarded outside shots
      2. Very deliberate getting his shot off. Can he be successful shooting outside if someone guards him, or if he doesn’t get a second to set himself?
      3. Finishing at the rim. Gets way too many shots blocked when he drives to the basket. I don’t know if they keep stats on that, but it seemed like he was getting 30% - 40% of his drives to the basket blocked the second half of the season.

And to clarify your point about GGG’s comments, coach said he could be all conference “if he could shoot”!!! IMO he has not demonstrated he can shoot (yet)

I read the article. His teammates like him, and that he’s improving and making valuable contributions. Thats good. However I didn’t see the part where his teammates said he was a good shooter and didn’t have room to improve.

BTW I remember Joe Griffin. Was in Tulsa the night he made a corner three to win the game. Also remember he transferred out after his Soph year but don’t remember the circumstances.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I don’t second guess JB being the starter. Who else was it going to be? The only other true point guard was Torres and he is a D2 level player. Yes, JB did improve throughout the season. I’m just saying there is a lot of room for more improvement. Specifically:
          2. Very deliberate getting his shot off. Can he be successful shooting outside if someone guards him, or if he doesn’t get a second to set himself?
          3. Finishing at the rim. Gets way too many shots blocked when he drives to the basket. I don’t know if they keep stats on that, but it seemed like he was getting 30% - 40% of his drives to the basket blocked the second half of the season.

And to clarify your point about GGG’s comments, coach said he could be all conference “if he could shoot”!!! IMO he has not demonstrated he can shoot (yet)

I read the article. His teammates like him, and that he’s improving and making valuable contributions. Thats good. However I didn’t see the part where his teammates said he was a good shooter and didn’t have room to improve.

BTW I remember Joe Griffin. Was in Tulsa the night he made a corner three to win the game. Also remember he transferred out after his Soph year but don’t remember the circumstances.

Shooting, and point play as you've stated (R. Torres) was an issue for the entire team until he (Burton) became the facilitator. The article basically relates how pivotal it was to the team when inserted as the starter.

Can't get to the rack and finish? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQeUoap6c4

If they're stuck with this kid as the point they'll be alright. He's a g-o-o-d point guard who's going to get even better. No? Could he break the all-time assist mark?

Anyways, back to the topic; Ellis wasn't a need.
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 18, 2019, 04:26 AM.

Comment

NM - Oops,. my response was based on his going to Duke, not Memphis. My bad.
            Last edited by Aargh; May 18, 2019, 05:58 AM.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Burton was a good free throw shooter, fwiw. Would be nice if he could get to Tekele Cotton level shooting.

Comment

Burton will sniff all conference honors sooner than most of you suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
                  Burton will sniff all conference honors sooner than most of you suspect.
                  Agree with those that feel Burton will be excellent player He like all the other freshman ,had to be the man last year with very little upperclassman help to lead the way at the lead guard position (tried with Torres, didn't work). He has intangibles that are natural in toughness, strength, defensive mindset, hustle, and he is a gym rat. This seems to be some of the same traits that made Baker, Cotton, and VanVleet successful players as Shockers. Competitive drive is part of his DNA , and you will see a better improved version of him during his second season in a Shocker uniform.

Comment

I'm not sold on JB developing an outside shot but I won't bet against him either. His unorthodox shot from behind his head isn't sound but I've seen a few other basketball players be successful shooters with unorthodox shots. He has everything else to make a very good basketball player so I'm behind him even though not sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      I'm not sold on JB developing an outside shot but I won't bet against him either. His unorthodox shot from behind his head isn't sound but I've seen a few other basketball players be successful shooters with unorthodox shots. He has everything else to make a very good basketball player so I'm behind him even though not sold.
                      Larry Bird turned out ok.

Comment

• Shockm
                        Shockm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I know you can read so I’m not sure what your point is. I hope he ends up shooting as good as Larry Bird.

In my opinion I think JB has potential to shoot better. What was his percentage at the free throw line.? I thought his shot form looked ok.

Comment

I've said it all year, Burton's a clone of B10 great Quinn Buckner:

bucknerII.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X