Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    Final 8 for Boogie. No Shockers.

As often happens, Boogie's final eight picture also didn't include Duke, which ended up getting him --sort of, for awhile, etc.

So now, if Memphis beats the west coast schools for him, does that move Lomax down to #3 on the PG depth chart? I believe we've seen that movie before. Oh, well.

Comment

Apparently he saw that Miller was paying Ayton $10 K per month and wants some of that. Of course, unless Penny has more cash to offer.

Comment

Couple of schools on that list that are known to pay very well...

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          At least 3, maybe 4

Surprise surprise, he's visiting Memphis on an unofficial visit today. Time to dig deep and pay up Penny.

Comment

This kid might give Lomax a run for his money

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
            This kid might give Lomax a run for his money
            Lomax has already been recruited over and Penny has no intentions of trying to improve players. Will be very surprised if Lomax stays at Memphis all 4 years.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              sad situation indeed. Penny is trying to build another Kentucky. He's getting players, but can he coach them and sustain it when the local well is not as deep? Time will tell.

• IndianaShocker
              IndianaShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              NM
              Last edited by IndianaShocker; May 10, 2019, 03:08 PM.

Boogie just committed to Memphis.

Comment

Best team on paper right? Next season is going to be fun to see how the top of the league plays out.

Comment

• shocks02
                shocks02 commented
                Editing a comment
                I would still pick Houston over Memphis because of experience. Media will probably be a split.

• ShockingButTrue
                ShockingButTrue commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got us ahead of the Cougars due to their losses of Davis and Brady. That's 2 pretty important pieces. Brooks is good but he's a hot/cold type from what I've seen.

As Davis went, so went Houston. And he gone...

• shocks02
                shocks02 commented
                Editing a comment
                You may be right, but that’s what everyone last season said with Rob Gray. I think Nate Hinton and Jarreau could be their best players.

Originally posted by choida View Post
              Best team on paper right? Next season is going to be fun to see how the top of the league plays out.
              According to the recruiting media and they get it right all the time :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:. Too many coaches make decisions based on recruiting media, it's why the # of student-athletes transferring has ballooned. Many coaches also buy into the idea that the recruits are balls of clay that can be shaped and molded, it's just not the case. Fit matters more than hype.

Boogie Ellis' best fit is actually Creighton. Wichita State was far down the list as far as the fit is concerned, but was still a better fit than Memphis.

James Wiseman's best fit is actually Clemson, not Memphis. Kentucky and Kansas were a much better fit than Memphis.

Lester Quinones' best fit was not Memphis, Memphis was #9 among his offers in FitScore. His top fit was Florida. Could you imagine Tre Mann and Lester Quinones at Florida? Tre Mann chose the school that was the best fit for him among his offers, which makes it a Home Run signing for Mike White.

DJ Jeffries is a near perfect fit for Kentucky. Memphis was significantly off from UK in fit, but he choice to stay close to home.

Comment

Boogieman in Memphis, Bye Bye Godson.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't feel the least bit bad for Lomax, he made this choice. He played a lot last year and should have a head start on the newbies but he better improve if he wants to play. I also think we have better players than Lomax on our team (Burton is basically a bigger version),

Originally posted by HashThat View Post

According to the recruiting media and they get it right all the time :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:. Too many coaches make decisions based on recruiting media, it's why the # of student-athletes transferring has ballooned. Many coaches also buy into the idea that the recruits are balls of clay that can be shaped and molded, it's just not the case. Fit matters more than hype.

Boogie Ellis' best fit is actually Creighton. Wichita State was far down the list as far as the fit is concerned, but was still a better fit than Memphis.

James Wiseman's best fit is actually Clemson, not Memphis. Kentucky and Kansas were a much better fit than Memphis.

Lester Quinones' best fit was not Memphis, Memphis was #9 among his offers in FitScore. His top fit was Florida. Could you imagine Tre Mann and Lester Quinones at Florida? Tre Mann chose the school that was the best fit for him among his offers, which makes it a Home Run signing for Mike White.

DJ Jeffries is a near perfect fit for Kentucky. Memphis was significantly off from UK in fit, but he choice to stay close to home.

WSU didn't need Ellis. They're more than alright at the guard rotation now. No?

We've seen what GGG can do against teams like Kentucky and the Chickens (that'd be ku) when those teams are loaded with McDonalds game participants that are perfect fits for their systems, and WSU might have 5 3*'s at best, and 1 4*. I'm putting my money on GGG in those situations.

Hell, against Kentucky in the 17 tournament when Kentucky had Bam Adebayo, M. Monk, I. Briscoe, and D. Fox, the Shockers started a 6'8" post and a 6'1" shooting guard. The Wildcats ended up pulling out a come from behind thriller. How many Kentucky-fit players did the 14 team have? Too bad W. Cauley Stein's last game of that tournament was against WSU, because as much as it pains me to say it, they probably would've won the whole thing.

You're a newcomer, but you'll soon be a believer.

Comment

Our guards last season were unquestionably the week link of the team. We have highly thought of guards coming in but it’s far from a “slam dunk” that guards will be a strength of the team next season until they start playing in games. Everyone thought Ricky Torres was going to be this great three point shooter and we know how that worked out. We’re also counting on ES and JB raising their shooting percentages 10% which I think is a real stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                    Our guards last season were unquestionably the week link of the team. We have highly thought of guards coming in but it’s far from a “slam dunk” that guards will be a strength of the team next season until they start playing in games. Everyone thought Ricky Torres was going to be this great three point shooter and we know how that worked out. We’re also counting on ES and JB raising their shooting percentages 10% which I think is a real stretch.

http://www.kake.com/story/40233768/b...reshman-record

Our freshmen guards played a big part in the teams success the last month of the season. They were hardly the weak link in the NIT. Relatively mistake free. No one probably believes our big's were carrying us Nov-Feb. No one I know of anyway. No?

One of them (the guards) set the all time freshman assist record, and he didn't become the starter until halfway through the season. Stevenson played good in March, by anyone's estimation.

So yeah, add the 3 4 star guard recruits to them and I think that adds up to a good guard rotation. If none of the newcomers pans out at the point we'll still have a decent (maybe more) one returning. After bringing those guards in we didn't need Ellis. Would it been nice to have 4 4 star guards in the recruiting class? You bet.
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 16, 2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Me thinks the game slows down a bit for one Jamarius Burton next season. He won't be missing those stoopid gimmies at the rim next year. You just know that's eating at him this offseason. Plus...I don't think he's too happy about defenders sagging off of him when he's outside of the 3-point line. Do you?
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        as much flack as SHJ got on here, he is a good example of a guy that improved 10 fold in one year. His jr year he couldn't get a shot up at the rim without it getting swatted into the bleachers. I have confidence we'll see a more powerful JB going to the rim next season.

... have to agree. If Burton could just hit one or two 3's a game, consistently every game, would help the O so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X