No announcement yet.

Tate Busse - preferred walk on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tate had a pretty solid game playing with and against the elite HS players from the state.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      And was 7-11 from the field with 3-treys to accumulate those 20 points. Pretty efficient work there.

• Sam Axe
      Sam Axe commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect shooting form too.

Anybody think Tate could grab some minutes next year with his ability to shoot? I'm kinda intrigued by him...but I know defense is what gets you into the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
      Anybody think Tate could grab some minutes next year with his ability to shoot? I'm kinda intrigued by him...but I know defense is what gets you into the lineup.
      If that were to happen, either A) something has gone horribly wrong or B) Tate attends a series of NBA playoff games and steals talent from NBA players, placing the talent in a ball he took to the arena. He then puts his hand on the ball and absorbs the talent, becoming a monster, if you will.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Buses has to be better than Etienne, Stevenson, Dennis, and Sherfield.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          ... the better "shooter."

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Tate had a pretty solid game playing with and against the elite HS players from the state.

http://www.hdnews.net/news/20180625/...-all-star-game
            I looked but couldn't find if any of the other participants in this game are future D1 recruits.

Anyone know?

Comment

Ben Pyle is on scholarship at Western Illinois. Another player had 16 and 11 and committed to Fort Hays State. Busse is a D-I player. I don’t think he is at the level needed to break through next year.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                He really doesn't have to be better to perhaps contribute some time off the bench. Dexter is pretty much a 3 isn't he and perhaps occasionally playing at the 4? Not saying I expect Tate to see any playing time as he is pretty much a totally unknown commodity to me. I don't really want to discount any young man who is determined and willing to work his butt off which I assume is the case for Tate but I don't know that for sure. Whether or not he as the talent to go with that is a question mark. But if he plays he will have earned it. I admire him for giving it a go.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

The more I think about, Ron Baker could be clouding my thoughts. I don't want to say Tate could never become a significant contributor, but RB was rare. Zach Bush averaged 23 pts per game in high school, but never became a contributor. Tate may fall more into that line. But who knows...glad he is willing to bust his butt and try.

Comment

Ron Baker's situation was so egregiously rare, he should never be compared to a walk on (or vice versa). He walked on only because we didn't have a scholarship available. CJ and GM knew his potential and talent level from day one--it's not like we were testing the waters and he earned his scholarship the next year because of how well he performed in practice his redshirt year.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Walk-ons rarely get anything other than mop up minutes and I doubt Tate will be the exception. If he sticks it out till his senior year, he may get JR Simon type minutes before he graduates. I’m sure 3G is not misguiding his expectations.
                      Last edited by Dan; May 15, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        Ron Baker's situation was so egregiously rare, he should never be compared to a walk on (or vice versa). He walked on only because we didn't have a scholarship available. CJ and GM knew his potential and talent level from day one--it's not like we were testing the waters and he earned his scholarship the next year because of how well he performed in practice his redshirt year.
                        Ron Baker was 6'3 218 his redshirt freshman year. Tate is 6'2 175. Big difference there in being able to come in and make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Walk-one rarely get anything other than mop in minutes and I doubt Tate will the exception. If he sticks it out till his senior year, he may get JR Simon type minutes before he graduates. I’m sure 3G is not misguiding his expectations.
                          Tate didn't even get that to keep his redshirt in place. Now, that can be taken two ways, but basically kept his options open.

Comment

Marshall said that Tate Busse has a chance to play. If he was another Ron Baker, he would have said a lot more than that. Ron Baker would be considered a no doubter by now. OTOH, while I would doubt he is as good as Ron Baker, we've had a couple of walk-ons who were good enough to play limited minutes during crucial situations the past 4-5 years and that may be Tate Busse's lane. The best example of this is John Robert Simon but includes Eli Farakhan and maybe others. Our nice recruiting class the past year with other returners who are also quality players will limit possible quality minutes by Tate Busse.
                            Last edited by Shockm; May 15, 2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I think the question is whether he's true D1 talent (not whether he's the next RB).

If he is then I could see him transferring. He's not going to go 3 more seasons without a scholarship if another D1 program will give him one. I just think the chances of a scholarship opening up here the next two seasons is low (it's possible he could get one his sr year if someone left unexpectedly).

If he isn't then he either becomes model 4-year walkon that could contribute some meaningful spot minutes his last year or he transfers to non-D1 school.

Comment

• Shockm
                                Shockm commented
                                Editing a comment
                                He may transfer to a Nebraska Omaha type of school or he may be a possibility for Pitt State, ESU, etc. The point about Ron Baker would be that if he is a Ron Baker type of talent, Gregg would promise him a scholarship to stay here.
                            Working...
                            X