Tate Busse - preferred walk on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tate Busse - preferred walk on

If you want to visit a town NW of St. Francis and still be in Kansas you are out of luck. And yes I have visited St. Francis purposely. If you ever happen to be in the vicinity I would highly recommend checking out the Arikaree Breaks just North of St. Francis. You will be surprised.

Welcome to Shocker Nation Tate.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

That is a lot of walk-ons, assuming they’re all back.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Deleted. Post disappeared than reappeared.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2018, 07:49 PM.

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, 4 would be a lot although Kaelen will be a Senior so only 1 more year for him. IIRC it was announced or reported that Kaelen was not coming back this past year but then had a change of mind.

You never know though when one of these kids will say I want to go some place where I will get to play on game day other than mop up minutes.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 16, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Looks like Tate is about 6-2 or 6-3.

Here is an interview with Tate from about a year ago.

Here an article his sister wrote about Tate (surely no bias there) between football and basketball this year.

2A Sports in Kansas Player of the Year.

Pretty nice elevation on his jump shot:

There almost has to be some Ron Baker influence in there somehwere. Sounds like a good character kid.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Ignorant question maybe... But what's the difference between a walk on and preferred walk on?

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
          Ignorant question maybe... But what's the difference between a walk on and preferred walk on?
          I could be wrong buy I think it just means you would prefer to walk-on as opposed to getting a full ride scholarship. The Germans discovered that.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I think there is a level of recruitment involved with a preferred walk on. I think we only work with preferred walk ons now. We don’t have tryouts anymore. Also preferred walkons eat with the team, travel with the team, and have team room mates. They are a member of the team.
            Last edited by Shockm; March 28, 2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I believe a preferred walk-on is one who is guaranteed a spot on the roster. Ron Baker was a preferred walk-on although he probably would have gotten a scholarship if we had one to give. I know J.R. Simon was a preferred walk-on.

A regular walk-on has to try out for the team and is not guaranteed he will get to stay around and be on the roster.

Not totally sure about our current walk-ons. I don't think Kaelen Malone was a preferred walk-on but most likely Brycen Bush and Jaco Herrs were if for no other reason than being Legacy players.

Comment

• TxShox
                TxShox commented
                Editing a comment
                That aligns with what I was able to find via the Google machine. "In some instances, a college coach or recruiter may designate an athlete as a 'preferred walk-on' during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, but the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship."

I don’t think all of the walkons will be back.

Good walkons like JR and Zach that can mimic the opponent with adequate skill levels are hard to come by. Busse fits that role and maybe more. He played for the Colorado Chaos (I think), a good program.
              Last edited by shoxlax; March 28, 2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Good news post Lomax...Tate is an athlete with a dad who is a coach. Bet he will be getting minutes at some point.

Comment

Only a 37” vertical; I’m not impressed. :)
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

There are some pretty solid players in western Kansas. Could be another diamond in the rough

Comment

Let's see if he plays next year or redshirts -- if it's the latter, maybe we can hope for the Baker plan to be revisited (although there isn't a lot of space for 2019 scholarships at this point; more opens up in 2020). Otherwise, it's more likely that he's just a really good high school who wants to be part of a big-time program and can afford to do so.

Comment

This kid have offers from Hays, etc?

Comment

Interesting article and comments from Jay Bilas.

Maybe he can be the next Ronald.
                          The Assman

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nevermind. I was misreading your post. Got it figured out.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2018, 05:17 PM.
                        Working...
                        X