Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
    You look at 10 seniors graduating in 2 years and that is gutting. No matter what comes next.
    So, in your terminology, WSU's been gutted which is "to destroy the essential power or effectiveness of".

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      So, in your terminology, WSU's been gutted which is "to destroy the essential power or effectiveness of".
      Gutted can also be defined as "to extract essential or major parts of." In other words, it is fair to say that the major pieces of both the starting and full rotation have been extracted from the team by graduation. The same can be said of what the draft has done of late to Kentucky's roster every year. It doesn't mean that the new players won't be good, just that the is a core of players that had been responsible for the bulk of minutes and production that will no longer be there and those roles will have to be taken on by those not within the past year's rotation.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        You look at 10 seniors graduating in 2 years and that is gutting. No matter what comes next.
        In a "normal" year for a "typical" non-BCS program - maybe.

Under the current administration, I don't buy that argument. I see too much talent that sat out last season and too much talent coming in.

I really like "flying under the radar" :peaceful:
        You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          Gutted can also be defined as "to extract essential or major parts of." In other words, it is fair to say that the major pieces of both the starting and full rotation have been extracted from the team by graduation. The same can be said of what the draft has done of late to Kentucky's roster every year. It doesn't mean that the new players won't be good, just that the is a core of players that had been responsible for the bulk of minutes and production that will no longer be there and those roles will have to be taken on by those not within the past year's rotation.
          I gave a defintion that I believe most would picture in their mind if someone said "that team got gutted". By the definition you chose, probably a good percentage of the successful or top teams would get gutted. If they're top BCS teams, they probably lose a combination of seniors with early entrants for the NBA. For non-BCS schools, the top ones probably lose two or three of their top 7 as seniors per year. In either case, essential or major parts have been extracted. Both definitions are correct, but which one achieves the desired effect most likely intended by the user upon his audience?

On the surface, it would look like WSU got gutted (by my, and probably Telep definition). But in reality, I don't believe that to be so, as I believe he intended his use of gutted to mean.
          Last edited by ShockTalk; April 13, 2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Gutted is a fair term when you look at the scoring, experience and team chemistry that we lost. Similar to gutting a house as the first part of a major renovation. The talent is there next year for sure. The real story is what happens to this talent when it gets if first taste of Valley basketball...
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• yea you know Creighton, Illinois State and Northern Iowa are going to be good, just hope we can keep pace and hope our talent can overcome experience

Comment

• FVV WINS MVP IN ALL-STAR GAME.

FVV took home the MVP and scored 40pts in last night area all-star game...http://www.rrstar.com/carousel/x8761...C-10-stars-win

Comment

• And 30 points in the 2nd half!!!!!
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                    And 30 points in the 2nd half!!!!!
                    'Sounds like that is what it took for his team to WIN.. otherwise, maybe he would have had 20 (pts), 7 (assts) and 5 (steals).

Comment

• Rival's now has Fred #138 in their new rankings.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                        Rival's now has Fred #138 in their new rankings.
                        You're slacking trop. That news is so last week :)
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                          Rival's now has Fred #138 in their new rankings.
                          Why is FVV so overlooked (compared to what he should be)?

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                            Why is FVV so overlooked (compared to what he should be)?
                            IMO... Some of the reason's FVV got over looked is being from Rockford, Fred did not get the pub like he would of got if he lived and went to H.S in chicago. Also, FVV turned down as to say did not play with any of the major AAU teams from the chicago area. People who know the game, have like FVV since his sophomore year. But, a lot of "johnny come latelys" did not really start paying attention to him until his monster run in the state tournament. If FVV would have played for any major H.S in chicago, he would have been a McDonald's all-american...Period!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrclove4 View Post
                              IMO... Some of the reason's FVV got over looked is being from Rockford, Fred did not get the pub like he would of got if he lived and went to H.S in chicago. Also, FVV turned down as to say did not play with any of the major AAU teams from the chicago area. People who know the game, have like FVV since his sophomore year. But, a lot of "johnny come latelys" did not really start paying attention to him until his monster run in the state tournament. If FVV would have played for any major H.S in chicago, he would have been a McDonald's all-american...Period!
                              "Like this post" "I like it a lot!"
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• That's why our staff is so great. They spotted a talent and went after him aggressively. Now we get to watch him play for 4 years in Wichita. Our gain. Everyone else's loss. I was wondering how much not being in Chicago had to do with it and @Mrclove4: confirmed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X