Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    The thing I love about Cotton is that he doesn't look to score, but is more than capable. He takes smart shots as you can tell with his shooting percentage. I do wish he'd be a little more aggressive at times, but I do also like that he doesn't force things.

Armstead is going to start. Considering what he did at Oregon and in the Pac 10, I think we have a pretty good idea what we get from him.

DWill is an enigma who is very capable of being brilliant. He's going to play quite a bit next year. Even if it's off the bench.

Then there's a guy like Baker who we've heard could run some point. Don't know if we'll see that or not, but it's an option.

I don't know if FVV will RS or not, but it's definitely an option. Especially when we'll have two seniors that can occupy that position.

And Armstead, DWill and Cotton all three can play some pretty good D. FVV will have to work pretty damn hard to get much PT. We'll see what happens.
    +1, agree with all of that. Especially the DWill comments. Coach really loves him because he stuck with him when he was atrocious from the field in the first few games of the year.

I guess my original comment should have been similar to yours that RS'ing him is definitely a viable option.

Also just a side comment about the doubt on Mal Armstead from @Snapshot9 is that Mal is a great PG. Great. He's the perfect Marshall PG. Very defensive minded, and passes. However, he's a better lane driver than Rags imo. And if not better than Rags, he's on equal ground with how Rags is playing this year.

I made a comment to the GF at the Creighton game, when she asked who the guy in street clothes was, that wouldn't it be a really cool statistic if Mal is the single season steal record holder at both Oregon and Wichita State. I wonder if something like that has ever been done? I'm sure it has, but it would be interesting to see it happen.

Oh and this is my 1,000th post. Nice.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

The thing I love about Cotton is that he doesn't look to score, but is more than capable. He takes smart shots as you can tell with his shooting percentage. I do wish he'd be a little more aggressive at times, but I do also like that he doesn't force things.

Armstead is going to start. Considering what he did at Oregon and in the Pac 10, I think we have a pretty good idea what we get from him.

DWill is an enigma who is very capable of being brilliant. He's going to play quite a bit next year. Even if it's off the bench.

Then there's a guy like Baker who we've heard could run some point. Don't know if we'll see that or not, but it's an option.

I don't know if FVV will RS or not, but it's definitely an option. Especially when we'll have two seniors that can occupy that position.

And Armstead, DWill and Cotton all three can play some pretty good D. FVV will have to work pretty damn hard to get much PT. We'll see what happens.
      Coach Marshall has only redshirted players if they want to be redshirted. I think that FVV thinks that he's good enough to play right away. He's our PG of the future and Marshall will give him every opportunity to achieve his goals (in my opinion).

Comment

• He won't force a RS. But he also won't play FVV unless he's earning PT over the other guys. Future or not, he'll have to earn it.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

He won't force a RS. But he also won't play FVV unless he's earning PT over the other guys. Future or not, he'll have to earn it.
          He'll begin the year as one of the top 2 PGs.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            He'll begin the year as one of the top 2 PGs.
            FVV is amazing, but I don't see how he beats out a Senior Mal Armstead, a Junior Joe Mitchell, a Senior DWill, and a Sophomore Tekele Cotton. I understand that one if not two of these guys will play a bit of SG, especially Dwill, but that's a really stacked list of veteran players to beat out. I'm not saying he can't, or won't, I'm saying that a RS might be the smart thing to do when we have such depth at PG next year, when FVV is a freshman. If he took the year to run the practice squad and get some reps at practice, and a year to work on his strength, he could be one of the best Freshman (rs) in the entire country the next year, and he could run the point splitting time with Mitchell or Cotton, or maybe be good enough to take it all over.

I really don't think he'll be #1 or #2 on the PG list next year.

Comment

• With no assumption as to whether he is the number 1,2,3 or 4 PG, I can't see him as a RS. With DW and MA both being seniors next year I would want FVV to have real minutes before 2013-2014.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Listen, everything said about FVV screams that he is a special and very good player, not just your average PG. I don't think that Mitchell will see any playing time, and Baker if you watched his game films before, he is a shooting guard, or he could play the 3 possibly, but we will not need him for PG duties.

Cotton has a good basketball IQ, and plays good defense, but he will have to turn up his Offensive skills after this year. Our teams have always been best when we had a PG that can also shoot the ball.

Comment

• Why dont you think Mitchell will play many minutes. He was very good at both Southeast and Hutchinson Juco

Comment

• Joe is going to be, and already is, an after thought or even like he doesn't exist to most Shocker fans... until he plays, then everyone is going to be talking about him, in my opinion. I truly think he'll be a solid contributor when he suits up.

Comment

• I think that if Joe Mitchell is a big step up or if FVV isn't ready to play defense like he needs to JM'll play. If FVV is ready to play at this level, JM will have to compete at the 2 guard for playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        Coach Marshall has only redshirted players if they want to be redshirted. I think that FVV thinks that he's good enough to play right away. He's our PG of the future and Marshall will give him every opportunity to achieve his goals (in my opinion).
                        I think it was somewhere on the recruiting thread that FVV said he would do what is best for the team. So if Marshall wants to redshirt him, he'll probably redshirt.

Comment

Baker's exciting as all get-out, but at no point in the one very limited moment that I got to watch him did I say "hmm, he could play point". Hell no. I thought .. man there's a solid 2/3 guy right there!
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I don't see where Mitchell will see any PT regardless of what FVV does
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Pretty sure HC3G has indicated that he expects FVV to be an immediate contributor. DW and TC are both combo guards. I agree with Sub that Mitchell is not likely to contribute... the talent level is just too high at this point. I'm guessing FVV gets 10-15 minutes per game or more next year.

Comment

• Agree with @McShocker: except Joe will see a little PT and we will be amazed at the depth we have at the pg and sg positions.
                                In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                                X