Big Man Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silliness

It's always entertaining to compare Coach Snap's player evaluation to that of Marshall and his staff.

I wonder what UNI fans were saying about Anthony James at the same point in his career that Richardson has now reached at WSU.

Comment

Hopefully GS becomes a more consistant performer next year and EO improves enough over the summer to be a 10-12 minute player.
      I would expect Carl Hall to come in and provide a Gabe Blair type presence down low. Then all we need is Jake White to come in and give us a solid
      10-12 minutes off the bench. Hell he could end up being another Doug McDermott. Some times you just dance with girl you brought to the dance.

If the pieces all fit then we just reloaded and kick some ass...if not then we will find out if HCGM is as good a coach as we think.
      Success at this level is about coaching your kids up and getting the most out of their talent.
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
      which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

It's imperative that the Shox bring in a 5 in 2012, at least.

I'm scared to death about the froncourt next season.

Yeah, in theory Stutz could make a magical jump and give us 20-25 min next year, being effective and not fouling out.

Yeah, in theory EO could make a magical jump and give us 15-2o min next year, being effective and not fouling out.

Yeah, in theory Hall could step right in from juco and replace Blair's 25 min, and also never ever have any further health concerns.

Yeah, in theory Jake White could give us 15 good minutes as a freshman, scoring a bit and playing D-1 defense right outa high school.

The odds are a bit long on some of this stuff, but we have to have IT ALL. Odds on THAT are microscopic.

Comment

I agree that we need it all to be even better nest year. But I don't think we need it all to be equally as good.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            I agree that we need it all to be even better nest year. But I don't think we need it all to be equally as good.
            In addition to the big man issues we need the following to happen to be better:

Toure Murry work on his jump shot
            David Kyles to work on his jump shot
            Joe Ragland to get more comfortable running the team and become the leader
            DWill to work on ball handling and decision making
            TRich to work on defense and prove he belongs on the team
            One of the new freshmen guards to come in a push for playing time

Comment

We should expect all players to improve year-to-year. It's tantamount to a student on academic scholarship actually passing his classes with a minimum GPA. If he doesn't, he loses the scholarship.

So if our current players cannot be expected to improve, perhaps their scholarships should be revoked.

(I'm not sure if I'm serious or not, but it is thought-provoking.)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                We should expect all players to improve year-to-year. It's tantamount to a student on academic scholarship actually passing his classes with a minimum GPA. If he doesn't, he loses the scholarship.

So if our current players cannot be expected to improve, perhaps their scholarships should be revoked.

(I'm not sure if I'm serious or not, but it is thought-provoking.)
                I'm sure about the first sentence. We should expect improvement from year to year. In most cases, if they put in the work, they do. They might not improve as much as we expect or want, but they do improve. Some of those improvments may be in areas only the coaching staff can measure. Not necessarily a success in the fans eyes but it may be enough to satisfy the staff.

If there is no improvement, coaches have a way of quietly guiding the young men out the door.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

That's all I was trying to ask, to whether you thought we already had the players for next year, or whether we still need at least 1 more, a big man?

I have nothing against role players, as long as they are a solid player, i.e., Bret Wise was such a player. Aaron Ellis has been pretty much a role player, but I like what he has done this year more than past years. The type of role player I am against is the ones that never do anything, and when all is said and done, you go, "Boy, that was a wasted scholarship".
                  Coaches are not infallible in their judgement of talent, or sometimes it just does not work out. I am not the type to hang on to a player for 4 years, just to have them be a medocre type player because that just means they did not have the talent to begin with. How many of our players in the past have left WSU to go to a Div-2 school?

With a big good basketball program comes a lot of pressure to perform, and that takes talent, every year, not just every 4 years.

Will Stutz and Orukpe handle the 5 position next year? Will the coach put Orukpe in the game to learn by fire, so to speak? I think Carl Hall will definately be an impact player, and that he will score more than what Blair does this year. Jake White will probably need more adjustment time to get used to D-1 ball, but I also think he will give us some good minutes.

I see the possibility for us to be as good next year, maybe not quite as good, but good. There will probably be a couple of snags, but we should be a pretty good team.

Comment

We all would like to find another big guy. We might, we might not. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we will still be a pretty big team. Most of our 2's and 3's are in the 6-4 , 6-5 range. We're not going to be throwing out a couple 6-5 forwards with 6-0 guards. As a team we will still look good in the airports.

By the way, doesn't Paul Wight still have some elgibility? ;-)
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash
                      We all would like to find another big guy. We might, we might not. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we will still be a pretty big team. Most of our 2's and 3's are in the 6-4 , 6-5 range. We're not going to be throwing out a couple 6-5 forwards with 6-0 guards. As a team we will still look good in the airports.

By the way, doesn't Paul Wight still have some elgibility? ;-)
                      I'm thinking the two Colorado Rockies. I forgot their names. Both 7 footers.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

There seem to be several juco 4s and 5s out there that are wide open in their recruitment, and some of those may end up in Hutch.

Trop, would you agree with that statement?

Comment

Darrin Dugger and Phil Mendelson.

Comment

Oooh those are some names I had chosen to forget. Actually Mendelson wasn't terrible, just totally over hyped coming out of high school as the next Tom Chambers.

Dugger was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax
                              There seem to be several juco 4s and 5s out there that are wide open in their recruitment, and some of those may end up in Hutch.

Trop, would you agree with that statement?
                              I haven't been keeping up with how juco teams are doing to predict who might end up in Hutch. Of course there are some big men out there. There will be some good mid majors and a few decent BCS schools out to get them.

Since Marshall looked at prep schools players in person, I've been thinking we might, if needed, go in that direction.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

One very talented juco big man is now available but I doubt he will be at Hutch. Karron Johnson and Oklahoma State have broken ties. Johnson is currently suspended from his team at Midland.
                                In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                                X