No announcement yet.

If WSU wants another championship...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's purely a hypothetical discussion because as Sub says we are not adding any men's sports unless a way was found to bring football back.

If that happens we probably need to add a few women's sports and/or maybe even drop one of the men's non-revenue sports.

My guess is that Soccer would be at the top of the list for new women's sports. Second on the list would probably be Swimming/Diving.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
      I'll take Lacrosse.
      I like Lacrosse, but who are you going to play?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        I'll take Lacrosse.
        :good:
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'll take Lacrosse.
          Apparently, these 61 schools:

But hey, 1 in 62 chance of winning a National Championship! (Except for the limited pool of Lacrosse talent going to a handful of schools).
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            I'll take Lacrosse.
            Apparently, these 61 schools:

But hey, 1 in 62 chance of winning a National Championship! (Except for the limited pool of Lacrosse talent going to a handful of schools).
            Yep, no travel issues involved with that group either is there? Those would be some long bus rides.

Comment

The bus rides can't be any worse than what tcu is going to have to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                Originally posted by tgcshock
                Originally posted by ABC
                A hockey NCAA championship is more prestigious than soccer and a lot more, shall we say, masculine.
                Since there are only 58 teams that play NCAA men's ice hockey (and they are concentrated in the upper mid-west and northeast), I would suggest that NCAA hockey championships are not that prestigious. There are 204 NCAA schools that play men's soccer and the MVC traditionally does very well. I wouldn't mind at all seeing WSU field a team.
                I could not disagree more.
                Well thanks for that post. I was undecided, but your well enumerated list of reasons for your opinion has swayed me. By the way, what is it that you disagree with?
                Glad I could be of assistance...

Specifically I disagree with the premise that NCAA hockey is not prestigious especially when compared to soccer. It is one of the oldest NCAA sports and as such as had many historical figures as participants.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
                  Originally posted by ABC
                  A hockey NCAA championship is more prestigious than soccer and a lot more, shall we say, masculine.
                  Since there are only 58 teams that play NCAA men's ice hockey (and they are concentrated in the upper mid-west and northeast), I would suggest that NCAA hockey championships are not that prestigious. There are 204 NCAA schools that play men's soccer and the MVC traditionally does very well. I wouldn't mind at all seeing WSU field a team.
                  I could not disagree more.
                  Well thanks for that post. I was undecided, but your well enumerated list of reasons for your opinion has swayed me. By the way, what is it that you disagree with?
                  Glad I could be of assistance...

Specifically I disagree with the premise that NCAA hockey is not prestigious especially when compared to soccer. It is one of the oldest NCAA sports and as such as had many historical figures as participants.
                  I guess it depends on how you define prestige. Certainly NCAA hockey has a lot more history than NCAA soccer, but it is a very regional sport and even lacrosse has more Division I schools that participate than hockey does.

I personally see a difference between a strong tradition and current prestige. For instance, SMU has a longer tradition of football success than Boise State, but right now it is more prestigious to beat Boise State than to beat SMU.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The bus rides can't be any worse than what tcu is going to have to endure.
                    That is true. But we still won't be adding Lacrosse.

Comment

What are the prestigious NCAA sports?

Football and Men's Basketball and maybe Women's Basketball and Baseball (due to ESPN coverage).

That's what we are. A football, basketball, baseball country.

Women's Basketball is perhaps prestigious only at the Top 25 level. Not particularly prestigious otherwise. Parity has yet to visit the women's game.

If Baseball is prestigious it's primarily due to the coverage of the CWS. It is still dominated by warm weather schools so it remains somehwat a regional sport and coverage of the regular season is still pretty anemic.

One could argue that Football and Men's Basketball are really the only truly prestigious sports at the College level. I suppose it somewhat depends on how you want to define prestigious.

Comment

Football and Men's Basketball and maybe Women's Basketball and Baseball (due to ESPN coverage).

That's what we are. A football, basketball, baseball country.

Women's Basketball is perhaps prestigious only at the Top 25 level. Not particularly prestigious otherwise. Parity has yet to visit the women's game.

If Baseball is prestigious it's primarily due to the coverage of the CWS. It is still dominated by warm weather schools so it remains somehwat a regional sport and coverage of the regular season is still pretty anemic.

One could argue that Football and Men's Basketball are really the only truly prestigious sports at the College level. I suppose it somewhat depends on how you want to define prestigious.
                        I think you are right in defining prestigious NCAA sports as two definite (Men's FBS Football, Men's Div 1 Basketball) and two slightly (Men's Div. 1 Baseball and Women's Top 25 Div. 1 Basketball).

That being said, as our own experience with women's volleyball at WSU shows, success in the smaller sports can allow you to draw crowds and generate a lot of pride and enthusiasm in the larger community.
                        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I think you can make a case that the prestigious NCAA sports are the major revenue producing ones

1) Football
                          2) Men's Basketball
                          3) Men's Hockey
                          4) Baseball

*Women' Basketball
                          *Women's Volleyball

This doesn't mean that all of those Sports break even at every school. Volleyball and Womens basketball can be revenue producing. For this reason, I would love to see Wichita State build a 4500 seat arena specifically for Womens Volleyball and basketball. It would create such a better atmosphere for the event that it would likely encourage greater fan participation and home court advantage. In the event that we need a larger venue, Koch can be used.

Comment

Working...
                          X