If WSU wants another championship...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If WSU wants another championship...

Unlike many so-called mid-majors -- including the current membership of the Missouri Valley -- WSU has actually won a D-1 national championship, and done so in a national sport (as opposed to, say, hockey). In fact, WSU's baseball championship is made even more impressive by the semi-regional nature of contemporary college baseball, and that WSU is not in the favored part of the country.

The Shocks were recently joined in their distinction as national champions by Akron, a MAC school that just dodged a winless football season by winning its final game of the year to limp home 1-11. So what sport did the Zips win? Try soccer. A mid-major from that famous soccer hotbed, northeastern Ohio, previously better known for their nickname, for having played football for many years in a stadium known as the Rubber Bowl, and for hiring its basketball coach from LeBron James's old high school, won the "College Cup" this year after losing in the finals last year to Virginia.

What does this have to do with WSU? Simple -- if the Shocks want to compete at a top level nationally in some sport, the obvious choice is not football but soccer. I don't say that because I like soccer; I don't. I watch the US team in the World Cup every four years, assuming their games are at a reasonable hour, and only because they're our guys; I don't watch any other games, and I walk in and out of the US World Cup matches I do see on TV. I've never been to an outdoor soccer game and probably wouldn't go if WSU had a team.

Nevertheless, Wichita's long history with the Wings makes it clear that there is a hard core of soccer fans here. More important, if Akron can play for the championship two years in a row, winning one -- and if Creighton can play for the national championship, for heaven's sake -- WSU could too if they made the proper commitment. Soccer doesn't cost an arm and a leg; it doesn't require so many players as to disrupt a program's Title IX balance; and it can be won by a school outside a power conference. So why the hell not?

If u watch a second of the world cup then yes I would say u are a fan.

To me it would be like winning in bowling. Sure it's ok but nobody really gives a crap.

Comment

If football ever comes back, women's soccer may very well reach campus
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

A hockey NCAA championship is more prestigious than soccer and a lot more, shall we say, masculine.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
          A hockey NCAA championship is more prestigious than soccer and a lot more, shall we say, masculine.
          Since there are only 58 teams that play NCAA men's ice hockey (and they are concentrated in the upper mid-west and northeast), I would suggest that NCAA hockey championships are not that prestigious. There are 204 NCAA schools that play men's soccer and the MVC traditionally does very well. I wouldn't mind at all seeing WSU field a team.
          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
            Originally posted by ABC
            Since there are only 58 teams that play NCAA men's ice hockey (and they are concentrated in the upper mid-west and northeast), I would suggest that NCAA hockey championships are not that prestigious. There are 204 NCAA schools that play men's soccer and the MVC traditionally does very well. I wouldn't mind at all seeing WSU field a team.
            Uh it's soccer, come on... nobody knew Arkon won the championship until it was told on here.

Soccer simply isn't popular in this country. Sure there are fans just like anything else but it certainly isn't more popular than football, basketball, baseball, hockey.

If it's playoffs you seek and a sport watched primarly by fans of that school only then FCS football is where it's at. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
              Originally posted by ABC
              Uh it's soccer, come on... nobody knew Arkon won the championship until it was told on here.

Soccer simply isn't popular in this country. Sure there are fans just like anything else but it certainly isn't more popular than football, basketball, baseball, hockey.

If it's playoffs you seek and a sport watched primarly by fans of that school only then FCS football is where it's at. :D
              There is a difference between nobody knowing and you not knowing. Not only did I know, I watched a lot of the championship match on ESPN (and watched Akron's semifinal win over UCLA as well).

In addition, there is a large generational gap in the popularity of soccer. Those of us young enough to have grown up playing it are far more likely to be fans than older generations (although plenty of older fans do exist).

BTW, the Soccer Championship game between Akron and Louisville drew 9,972 fans compared to last year's FCS Football Championship game between Villanova and New Hampshire which drew 2,661.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                I could not disagree more.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

We're not going to see men's soccer here. I'm by no means anti-soccer and watch as much of the national teams as I can, but the only soccer that may ever be played here would be women's if football is brought back. I'm not sure what other women's sports would be added but am pretty sure that soccer would be one.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                    Originally posted by ABC
                    I could not disagree more.
                    Well thanks for that post. I was undecided, but your well enumerated list of reasons for your opinion has swayed me. By the way, what is it that you disagree with?
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'll take Lacrosse.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                        Originally posted by ABC

There is a difference between nobody knowing and you not knowing. Not only did I know, I watched a lot of the championship match on ESPN (and watched Akron's semifinal win over UCLA as well).

In addition, there is a large generational gap in the popularity of soccer. Those of us young enough to have grown up playing it are far more likely to be fans than older generations (although plenty of older fans do exist).

BTW, the Soccer Championship game between Akron and Louisville drew 9,972 fans compared to last year's FCS Football Championship game between Villanova and New Hampshire which drew 2,661.
                        Yes people like soccer, apparently you are one of them. I get that, what I'm saying is it's not anywhere near the top of the popular sports in the united states. Why would WSU add a mens sport like soccer? Why would they go thru title 9 bull crap for soccer?

FCS football would offer a valid shot at a championship just like soccer. Which was one of the arguments for soccer at the beginning of this topic. My point is FCS offers that same chance.

My desire would be FBS despite never having the oppurtunity to win anything. As it would allow in the future to align with some better schools in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                          Originally posted by ABC

Check your source, you are about 12,000 short.

Comment

Looks like the attendance last year was 14,328
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Looks like the attendance last year was 14,328
                              Sorry, I was looking at an earlier round game apparently. It was the last game listed on Villanova's schedule. The 14,328 number is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X