Memorial Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Service

Cool, brisk wind, but a nice ceremony this morning. The only distraction for those of us who weren't family was the lack of a functioning PA system. Well attended and got to meet some of the parents and siblings of the friends that I lost for the first time. It just drives me crazy when I hear so many people ask why we can't still have football and the fact that there is no money to do any thing about it. Oh well maybe in the not so distant future.

Sorry if posted somewhere else.

http://www.super70s.com/super70s/tech/aviation/disasters/70-10-02(Martin404).asp

Comment

Re: Memorial Service

Originally posted by pogo
      Cool, brisk wind, but a nice ceremony this morning. The only distraction for those of us who weren't family was the lack of a functioning PA system. Well attended and got to meet some of the parents and siblings of the friends that I lost for the first time. It just drives me crazy when I hear so many people ask why we can't still have football and the fact that there is no money to do any thing about it. Oh well maybe in the not so distant future.
      ~ thanks for attending pogo...

IMO it is not a money issue but rather a leadership issue, conference issue, interest issue, and money issue. Pretty much in that order. The lack of a working PA system is not a money issue but rather a leadership issue.

I get sick of the leadership that shuffles their feet and and continues to mosey on down the road thinking we're all happy in Shockerland while the fanbase continues to atrophy due to age and natural attrition. I'm also sick of the KBoR that perhaps believes that people in Wichita and South Central Kansas are just "fine folks that won't complain about much and just looking for a close place to get a degree." All the while as they attend the tail gate parties at KU, KSU, PSU, FHSU, Washburn, and Emporia State.

With a declining enrollment of 14,806 we are less than 3,000 students larger than FHSU and 4,000 students larger than BuCo. No matter how small the amount, student fees help support athletics and fund the programs.

I'm proud of WSU and its accomplishments in aviation, engineering, music, and athletics. But I'm not proud of its leadership and I find it sickening that WSU dropped the football program. That decision was not the end of the beginning of financial hardship which we would crawl out of, but rather the beginning of the end for WSU.

It doesn't drive me crazy that we have Shocker fans who want football and question why we don't have it. But I do find it puzzling that we don't have more fans that support it.

How prophetic that the crash memorial is not even close to the stadium

God rest their souls~

Comment

Thanks, all great points V. I will at this to the discussion.

Ted Bredehoft had a vision of bring the "U" to a more equal footing with KU and KSU in the mid 70's. He began by add men's and women's sports and hiring some of the best coaches that have ever walked the side lines at WSU. Ted did his best to promote WSU football with wild promotions, but funding was never really there. Even so, the "U" was on the move and was making national news. New sports like baseball where a huge success. Football was on the rise and basketball was about to make a title run. It was a breakout time.

We all know the story to well. Probation. The party was over and we had the worst hangover ever. I really think that was the death nail for football. The sacrificial lamb to the NCAA. Lew Perkins got his chops with the NCAA and Armstrong could get students and the regents off his back about athletic deficits. More importantly, the fans just gave up. The white flag came out and Ron Chismar was just screwed.

This set the stage for the NEW Valley and the NEW WSU. No more Cincinnati, louisville or Memphis. Now it will be Indiana State, Northern Iowa, SMSU and other newbies to D-1A. All play D-1AA football, if they play. They (Lew and Armstrong) took it down a notch. But the fact is we all let them do it. No one really care when it was dropped and I don't see a lot of people demanding it's return. It's sad. I will alway hope for the future when a president and an AD will demand that the "U" return to playing the big boys of college athletics.

Comment

Working...
        X