14 FBS Schools made money from campus athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 FBS Schools made money from campus athletics

A newly released NCAA report shows that just 14 of the 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools made money from campus athletics in the 2009 fiscal year, down from 25 the year before.

Thanks for posting the link. An interesting article. If this article is correct, it appears that WSU must have lost money on athletics last year:

Sixty-eight FBS schools reported turning a profit on football, with a median value of $8.8 million. The 52 FBS schools that lost money on football reported median losses of $2.7 million.

The breakdown for basketball programs at those 120 schools was nearly identical, though the median values for profitable programs ($2.9 million) and money-losing ones ($873,000) were smaller.

The fiscal fortunes of major college athletic programs without football teams were even worse. None of the 97 schools in that category reported making money from athletics, with median losses of more than $2.8 million.

Comment

The latest info I have (no dates) show WSU made $376k profit last year.

The men's basketball program made over $1,000,000 profit for the university, with the womens program costing the university almost $800,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        The latest info I have (no dates) show WSU made $376k profit last year.

The men's basketball program made over $1,000,000 profit for the university, with the womens program costing the university almost $800,000.

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financ...w?school_id=50
        Those stats seem to be in disagreement with the article you posted. But we don't know the dates, so they may be talking about different time periods. They also may be using a different measurement for profitability.

According to the Indy Star article 103 schools made money, with WSU coming in at 55 amongst those that did make money (about right in the midddle).

Thats a much more positive financial picture of major ncaa institutions than the first article paints.

I think the second article (Indy Star) is older information. That article also shows Ku making $10 million and Kstate over $5.4 million. I know that is no longer true.

Comment

When you open the link, the bottom line is the Revenue to expense difference (Profit).

It breaks down each category (mens, womens, other sports) and then total expenses vs. total revenue.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that "revenue", as I understand it, includes all money coming into the athletic department, including university contributions and student fees.

I bet if you removed those contributions from the revenue line very few athletic departments actually make money.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.

SASO isn't able to fund 100% of the athletic scholarships. I think there is a $600,000 gap.

Clearly someone is paying for those scholarships and that someone is the University. I wonder if that is counted in the P & L.

Comment

Found this on the Indy Star report:

"It came from forms required by the NCAA for the 2004-05 school year. While the NCAA reports such information only in aggregate, the data is presented here by individual school --- with the ability for users to sort by category and conference, and to compare two schools.

The Star obtained the forms through freedom of information requests to the 215 public schools that compete in Division I. There were 164 responses, 76 percent.

(Requests also were sent to Division I's 112 private schools, which had no obligation to release the information. None did. In addition, state law in Pennsylvania and Delaware does not require its public schools to comply.)

The numbers are presented here as they were reported to the NCAA. No attempt was made to change or research anomalies. The NCAA does that."

So it is an old report.

Comment

And given the downtown in the econmy in the last 2.5 years, it is probalby worse.

Comment

Working...
                  X